Nuforce HEM Discussion & Impressions
Apr 11, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #511 of 533
I've just received my HEM8s from massdrop, and I can't for the life of me get any of the cables to fit into the IEMs. Has anyone else had a similar problem or found a fix?
I still remember the first insertion (oh come on), it was super hard and I was afraid I was going to break them. I don’t want to induce you into damaging them, but probably you just have to bite the bullet and push HARDER :hammer::hammer:

Apr 11, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #512 of 533
That's odd. Post a pic or a better description of the problem? Do the pins not line up or something?

I still remember the first insertion (oh come on), it was super hard and I was afraid I was going to break them. I don’t want to induce you into damaging them, but probably you just have to bite the bullet and push HARDER :hammer::hammer:

Update: Looking closely at the connections on the IEMs, I noticed that the sockets were slightly oval shaped, as if they'd been squashed. Using a pin with a tapered end I managed to squeeze them back out to circular, and the cables then inserted with a moderate amount of force. Seems like a bit of a quality control issue, as the sockets aren't the sort of thing that would be damaged in transit. I don't think it will have affected the sound, but does anyone know a good way to check?

Apr 11, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #513 of 533
Update: Looking closely at the connections on the IEMs, I noticed that the sockets were slightly oval shaped, as if they'd been squashed. Using a pin with a tapered end I managed to squeeze them back out to circular, and the cables then inserted with a moderate amount of force. Seems like a bit of a quality control issue, as the sockets aren't the sort of thing that would be damaged in transit. I don't think it will have affected the sound, but does anyone know a good way to check?

Hooray! Glad to hear that worked out. I doubt it will affect sound quality; sounds like a little too much clamping force during assembly.

Optoma/NuForce IEM production seems to be in a bit of a weird state. I wish they were a bit more transparent.

May 8, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #514 of 533
Agree, I love the tuning for my HEM1, and IMO as far as single BA goes it's one of the nicest out there, but man really, Nuforce been pretty quiet these days...

May 11, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #515 of 533
Agree, I love the tuning for my HEM1, and IMO as far as single BA goes it's one of the nicest out there, but man really, Nuforce been pretty quiet these days...

I agree. My HEM1 is a nightly favorite.

Jul 30, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #516 of 533
Drop is multiplying the drops on the HEM6 and 8, with the HEM8 only $40 more expensive, and with the Radsone ES100 as popular as it now (and often on Drop too).
To anyone coming to this thread curious about that pairing, I'll reiterate it's great, and an absolute steal at a combined $300 or less.

The HEM8's unpleasant treble peaks get sanded away, and the ES100 gets a big injection of speed and clarity to wake it up from its slight listlessness.

For metalheads, Black Tongue's "The Cathedral" on their latest EP will crunch. your. ears.

Dec 3, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #517 of 533
I just signed up for a Drop sale of the Nuforce HEM 8 for $200 including US shipping.
Is the HEM 8 still an interesting option?

I had been thinking about adding a good BA IEM to my DD collection, and the $200 sounded like a steal.
I have not seriously listened to mid tier BA IEMs, but I listened to the TOTLs like Andromeda and others and liked the Sony IER-M9 when I had a chance to test it.
But I’m not even close to ready to spend $1000

The most highly recommended BA IEMs anywhere near the $200 would be the $300 options of the Massdrop Plus and Audiosense T800. Would they be “worth” the extra $100?
I'd love to hear that the HEM 8 is on a similar level, then I'd be a very happy camper.
If the Plus and T800 are significantly better I'll reconsider the HEM8.

PS:
I know "better" has a lot to do with preference, but in this case I am willing to take risks with the signature if the technicalities are very good

UPDATE: Found some more reviews and opinions and cancelled the order.
Specifically one person described the differences between the A&K T8iE MKII and the HEM8, and based on that I'll keep listening to the A&K...

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #519 of 533
It is an interesting option still, but As far as I understand it is discountinued, and they are selling the last few remaining batches and this is why it i going on sale.

It was pretty good, a unique tuning, fast sound

Thanks a lot for your reply, George!
Based on my reading I get the impression that you need to spend more money to get really good BA IEM than to get a really good DD, but I have very limited listening time with BA IEMs.
I listened to the Andromeda, the Sony M9 and other BA TOTLs and Iiked them. The Campfire Comet did not impress me.

I'll bite the bullet and give it a try.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #520 of 533
Hello from Singapore!

Gotten this at 49SGD (original is 179SGD) from stereo headphone concept store 3 weeks back. I tested the demo hem1 at the store and really enjoyed the clarity and comfort. Something to take note of is that the nozzle is much smaller (t100) than the typical t400 size. To be frank, I'm quite amazed at the isolation but I would certainly try out the foam tips soon for better bass and isolation. When I first tested the new unit right out of the box, I was a bit disappointed. The bass was really weak but as mentioned before the clarity was good. The sound stage at the initial stage was a little disappointing as well, don't get me wrong, overall it performs well but the lacking in bass led to virtually lacking in separation. In my opinion, it served as a very good stage monitor for vocalist/acapella for its clarity and high performances in the mids and highs along with seemingly no sibilance (at least that is what I perceived)

After using it for a few days, I gradually hear more bass and I now enjoy it a lot. Would I suggest it? Yes and no. Yes because it is light, comfortable, isolates well, nice looking and it is on sale. No, because the more recent typical chifi brands like KZ and TRN with hybrid design can easily outperform it out of the box at the expense of weight and comfort by a little. At the end of the day, the overall performance is limited by 1BA. Didn't have the chance to try out HEM4,6,8. But I have confidence the additional drivers would not disappoint.

Apr 11, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #521 of 533
Hello
the HEM8 is a very appreciated Multi BA IEM but I can't find a single measurement on the network? Are there really none?
Greets
Jens

edit ... find by innerfidelity

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #522 of 533
Hey, not being disrespectful to those who enjoy the HEM1 Dynamic but they were under £20 ion Amazon UK so I thought what the hell, it's a brand I'm not accustomed too... they really are horrible IMHO. The bass is just a THUD, it's really distracting. I'd be less disappointed if the sub-bass had any resolution or musicality but it's very "bland". I even tried it with EDM and bass-driven music, but sadly not for me. Tried different tips too as I've other sized pairs from Brainwavz and Phonak Audeo that fit but to no avail. Really really comfy though and I'm sure someone in the family might like them for the gym or running.

Apr 24, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #523 of 533
there's a HEM1 "Dynamic"? sure it's not an EDC? all HEM1-8 IEM are BAs.

Edit: ah there is one. it's new, ish huh? IMO even if it sounds kinda bad, it should still worth the price as for 20 £ a DD iem with detatchable cable, comply Eartips and negative profile is pretty rare, the negative profile especially as even chifi can't reach that still, most of their design are single size earmould that's too big in comparison. think of it as more of a "throwaway SE215".

I bought and kept my HEM 1 simply because of its size, I also happen to like it's sound more than the SE215. I didnt think I found a good cheap chifi with similar sized body once it's made by Kinera, but forgot the model. it sound pretty good too

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #524 of 533
there's a HEM1 "Dynamic"? sure it's not an EDC? all HEM1-8 IEM are BAs.

Edit: ah there is one. it's new, ish huh? IMO even if it sounds kinda bad, it should still worth the price as for 20 £ a DD iem with detatchable cable, comply Eartips and negative profile is pretty rare, the negative profile especially as even chifi can't reach that still, most of their design are single size earmould that's too big in comparison. think of it as more of a "throwaway SE215".

I bought and kept my HEM 1 simply because of its size, I also happen to like it's sound more than the SE215. I didnt think I found a good cheap chifi with similar sized body once it's made by Kinera, but forgot the model. it sound pretty good too

Yeah, it's good value at £20 mostly because I got it 'open box' on Amazon UK. The actual retail price when they came out 2 years ago was $100, new sets still go around £50-70+. For this price it's not such a good deal (again IMO). They are bettered by a ton of hybrids AND other cheaper dynamics.

BTW, it's not a detachable cable, just looks that way from photos i guess.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #525 of 533
On ebay USA someone sells a lot of HEM2 for very little money. Under 30USD! With price proposal. This is crazy?
What is the likelihood that it is counterfeit? I couldn't find anything online for fakes from Optoma IEMs.
Has anyone here experience with in-ear fakes from Nuforce? Isn't that a popular model or brand that is copied ?!
Greets Jenz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back