NUC 10i7FNH ram issues
Dec 29, 2022 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Peti

500+ Head-Fier
Morning folks, I hope it's ok if I start a new thread for this one. I have got a new NUC which I was planning to use for music playback through JRiver.

Anyhoodle, ever since I inserted the ram disks and fired it up, it has been been giving me issues, namely, freezing up, blue death and sometimes the dreaded blue death loop.

Checked the ram disks and win10 says my ram is faulty but gave no explanation. I have ordered a new set of appropriate ram disks and I'm getting the same issue. Did clean install, same results.

As soon as win10 boots and I start to use it, stuttering of the mouse starts and it intensifies until the point the monitor freezes or getting blue death. The blue death error message is not the same all the time though. If I tax the ram modules by opening and running sundry programs at the same time, the freezing occurs a bit even earlier than if I just let the machine idle.

I noticed if I only insert one ram disc the inevitable freezing/blue death occurs later. If both discs are inserted, things get bad really fast.

Updated all the drivers and bios, no change. I'm admittedly not a computer expert and I wonder if the community has any ideas what's going on in my NUC? Thank you in advance!

P.S.: That's the ram I have purchased: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C4Z69LN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Dec 29, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #2 of 17
Does it blue screen in safe mode?

Dec 29, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 17
Safe mode works perfectly. Does that mean that the mobo and cpu are not damaged?
If safe mode is stable for an extended period, it's possible it's just a driver or software issue.

In Safe Mode with Networking, you can try DISM from an elevated command prompt: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

You can also try the Intel Driver & Support Assistant.

Dec 29, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 17
Well, I've run the DISM from administrative priviledges and now I'm back to normal mode and still having the same issue. In device manager I see a yellow triangle next to "Base system device" and "detection verication" I have disabled and uninstalled them but upon rebooting they are back.
If safe mode is stable for an extended period, it's possible it's just a driver or software issue.

In Safe Mode with Networking, you can try DISM from an elevated command prompt: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

You can also try the Intel Driver & Support Assistant.

Dec 29, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 17
Well, I've run the DISM from administrative priviledges and now I'm back to normal mode and still having the same issue. In device manager I see a yellow triangle next to "Base system device" and "detection verication" I have disabled and uninstalled them but upon rebooting they are back.
Base system device should be the latest chipset driver.

Detection verification might be Realtek audio drivers.

Did you try the Intel Driver & Support Assistant? That should resolve and update all Intel drivers.

Dec 29, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 17
Base system device should be the latest chipset driver.

Detection verification might be Realtek audio drivers.

Did you try the Intel Driver & Support Assistant? That should resolve and update all Intel drivers.

Yup, just did. It only offered one update and that was for the Realtek driver. Went through the update, rebooted, but I still have the same problem. Now in the device manager I see "base system device" with a yellow triangle, only. Any ideas?

When I right clicked the base system device it says "
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There are no compatible drivers for this device.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."

When I click update, it says "Windows could not find drivers for your device."

Windows update says I'm up to date.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 17
Yup, just did. It only offered one update and that was for the Realtek driver. Went through the update, rebooted, but I still have the same problem. Now in the device manager I see "base system device" with a yellow triangle, only. Any ideas?

When I right clicked the base system device it says "
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There are no compatible drivers for this device.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."

When I click update, it says "Windows could not find drivers for your device."

Windows update says I'm up to date.
If Intel Driver Assistant shows everything up to date, check in Windows Update--under the Check for Updates button, there should be View optional updates.

They're really only used when you have an issue like this. Try the Intel System updates there, if any.

Dec 29, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #9 of 17
Ok, I did the Intel system optional updates, too. Also, I found the driver for the chipset manually and installed it. No more yellow triangles and I'm totally up to date. However the strange behaviour of the computer continues with occasional blue death screens.

If Intel Driver Assistant shows everything up to date, check in Windows Update--under the Check for Updates button, there should be View optional updates.

They're really only used when you have an issue like this. Try the Intel System updates there, if any.

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #10 of 17
Ok, I did the Intel system optional updates, too. Also, I found the driver for the chipset manually and installed it. No more yellow triangles and I'm totally up to date. However the strange behaviour of the computer continues with occasional blue death screens.
Once you've had a BSOD, restart and check Event Viewer under Windows Logs, System (and maybe Application). Look for any red marks and lmk what they say.

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 17
Also, where did this copy of Windows come from? Did you install it fresh?

And when you said the NUC was new, was the SSD also new? I assume you purchased, installed, and loaded Windows?

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #12 of 17
Wow, I've got a whole bunch of red flags in "System"! "Distributed COM" is the most common one in the list. I also see "Service Control Manager" a few times.

Once you've had a BSOD, restart and check Event Viewer under Windows Logs, System (and maybe Application). Look for any red marks and lmk what they say.

I have a HDD and I bought the NUC barebones. I put in the HDD (used in my previous NUC) and RAM myself. The WIN10 was a fresh install indeed. I'm in safe mode, again, and everything is ok. Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate b/c otherwise I'm lost when it comes to figuring out these computers. By the bye, I have even had BSOD during the clean installation of WIN10! Like right in the middle of the process. I had to start over. This behavior is present since the first start-up.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 17
You're welcome! BSOD during Windows install sounds like a hardware issue. Could be the hard drive, memory, bad system board--so many things and impossible to tell without trial and error, swapping out parts.

DCOM errors can be anything--when you click into one, it should say what faulted.

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #14 of 17
DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
{DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}

So it's likely a hardware issue then. Bummer. I better start shopping for a new one then.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #15 of 17
Sorry man, I would normally suggest things like a bios update but if you blue screen in the middle of one, you can brick the nuc.

Shouldn't blue screen during the Windows install--all those drivers are the bare minimum. Strange that it works in safe mode--I would leave it running in safe mode with networking and see if it actually does eventually BSOD, then it's a hardware issue for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back