Nub seeking opinions on first rig.
Mar 26, 2006 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dicjohnson

New Head-Fier
I have been lurking here for a while trying to gather enough information to make a informed choice in a first headphone rig. Here is what I have purchased: Ipod photo 60gig> TurboDock II> Ray Samuels "Hornet">Sennheiser HD 580's. What do you folks think? I listen mainly to Country, Blues, Folk and Classic Rock. I am worried that the 580's might not be the ticket for my musical tastes. Also, any thoughts on a good set of cans for working out on the elliptical using this rig? Your comments and advice will be greatly appreciated.
580smile.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 7
I think this will be fine, but I would suggest using higher-bitrate files on the DAP, and eventually getting a better source for home use. However, the synergy between the 580 and the Hornet should be very good.

If the Hornet is new, remember that it needs a while to burn in. It's initial sound signature is in many ways the opposite of what it's final sound signature will be. At first it sounds bright and edgy, with loose bass and a congested soundstage. Once it's settled in, it sounds warm, tube-like and organic, but very forward at the same time. The 580 will also need a good long time to burn in if it's new, so don't judge anything out of the box.

It should be a nice rig and a very good welcome to high-end headphones.

P.S. Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet. Guess it's too late already, though...

Mar 26, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 7
You've got a great rig going for you. As catscratch said, give it time to all burn in, enjoy what you have, and don't visit here too often.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back