Now Own Both HD 650 and D2000
Oct 28, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #46 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By uncomfortable do you mean the headband? They are really skullcrushers at first (or in my case, they pushed at the bottom under my ears a bit too hard). If this is what you are referring to, try stretching them overnight for a few nights until they feel better. What I did was to extend them fully (like, if your head is gigantic, lol), and placed them over a few books so they were stretched further than they would be if worn (I'd say the earpads were about a foot apart). Don't worry - they are tough phones, and won't break doing this. Once they are loosened up a bit, you'll find them extremely comfy.

As for recabling, I went with a fully loaded APS V3. Pricey, but a great cable. They sound better, but it's not like a recable job is going to completely change your listening experience. For me, the difference is in build quality and eice of mind - I know this cable is about as good as you can get, lol. I have noticed an improvement in signal strength - all things being equal (volume level, same music, tube set, etc), they are slightly louder than the stock cable, and have more presence to them - it's as if there is less electrical resistance to the signal. YMMV though...who knows.

Yea if they didn't clamp my head they would be GREAT

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #48 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to Mod anything...My OCD kicks in and i think i messed soething up haha

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #49 of 62
Heard the HD650 last night matched with my EVS-modded Oppo 970HD and Darkvoice 337 (w/JAN Philips 6SJ7WGT and RCA 6AS7 blackplates). Unquestionably, the best I've ever heard the HD650 sound: open, clean, smooth and musical; I was almost tempted to get a pair! : )

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #51 of 62
Oh man...give it a few hundred hours...you'll REALLY dig them then!

Have you tried other tubes in your LD with them yet? Curious what you think with different tubes. Hav not heard those Mullards, but from what I understand the Mullard "house sound" is a more relaxed, warm sound...something the 650 is already GREAT at. Perhaps you'd try something that could brighten them up?

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #52 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man...give it a few hundred hours...you'll REALLY dig them then!

Have you tried other tubes in your LD with them yet? Curious what you think with different tubes. Hav not heard those Mullards, but from what I understand the Mullard "house sound" is a more relaxed, warm sound...something the 650 is already GREAT at. Perhaps you'd try something that could brighten them up?

Any recomendations on tubes that would brighten them up guys?

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #53 of 62
I don't know what to recommend for you personally, but if you had 6DJ8/6922/7308-type tubes, I could point you to a few...

In general, in VERY general terms, British tubes (Mullard, Brimar) have a very warm, vintage, midrangey sound to them, German (Siemens, Telefunken) are more neutral and analytical with airy top ends and huge soundstage, and Dutch (Philips, Amperex) are more relaxed and smooth, with sweet midrange and articulate bass. USA made tubes and others are more hit-and-miss, and more difficult to pigeon-hole with a generalization.

For me, I found the Siemens 6922 and 7308 to be ideal with my 650's in the Woo 3+ for most types of music, and the Amperex 6DJ8s awesome for classical, acoustic, and vocals...you've got a much wider selection of tubes to choose from, so I couldn't tell you any specifics, and my generalizations may not necessarily fit the types of tubes that you could use.

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #55 of 62
That's where different power tubes will come into play...

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #58 of 62
I have both the 650 and d2000. So far prefer the d2000. Find it brighter and crisper sounding delivering cleaner high end treble. The senns only have about ten hours on them so i'm letting them burn in to see if it changes. Not sure if the amp I'm using is making a big difference in the comparison - I have the tomahawk which matches well to the denon but not the senn. Will update the comparison after burn in at the end of the week.

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #59 of 62
I remember HD650 changing significantly after two or three days, but it needs more power than D2000, much more. I don`t even know if these two headphones are comparable
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #60 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they actually bounce (move) on your head, when they hit high impact bass and mid-bass notes, and they seem to temper the upper mids and highs a bit (sound just a hair muffled and dark) - they're the "old" version.

Good God, if they're physically moving on his head from bass notes he should immediately see a doctor for treatment of the tinnitus he's already incurred. In 40 years of listening to headphones I've never had a phone move on my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back