Now, in stereo!
Mar 10, 2006 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BPRJam

100+ Head-Fier
I have a set of Phillips HP170 headphones that I keep at work. IMO, they are a highly underrated set of cans on this board - at least in the sub $50 range. A couple of years ago, there were a number of threads about this headphone. I condsider it a long forgotten flavor of the month.

In any case, they have a stereo/mono switch on them. I have no idea how long it has been this way, but I noticed today that it was switched to 'mono'. I switched it back to 'stereo', and POW, my soundstage was incredible - relatively speaking, of course. I must have bumped the switch sometime in the past and never knew it.

So, for all you out there who have mono switches on your gear - check them occasionally and make sure they're in the proper position.

BPRJam

Mar 10, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 9
BPRJam, Welcome to team Stereo. Talk about a major upgrade
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Given the stuff i listen to, id realise pretty quickly if i was in mono mode i think.

I would have thought so, too, given that I mostly listen to rock. But indeed, I never noticed.

If I would have been listening on my home rig with my HD600s I think I would have noticed right away, but given that I'm listening to tunes at the same time I'm destracted by work, I guess my listening isn't as critical as I would have thought.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
BPRJam, Welcome to team Stereo. Talk about a major upgrade

No joke. I'm thinking I might even try these 'See-Dees' I'm hearing so much about.
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 9
Actuallly, this is not surprising with rock.

With orchestral music, the difference is very stark. I unkowingly played an old recording today, which I thought was stereo, and was very disconcerted by the mono sound.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 9
A lot of my music I know just too well... I expect certain stereo bits to come from certain places around my head.

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #8 of 9
The obviousness i was referrign to in my own personal case related priamrily to listening to music that i myself have composed. As well as albums like Jean-Michel Jarres' Aero. Which such music stereo seperation is used as a primary contructive element rather than a production effect.

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Actuallly, this is not surprising with rock.

With orchestral music, the difference is very stark. I unkowingly played an old recording today, which I thought was stereo, and was very disconcerted by the mono sound.

Mono is pretty bad with headphones (dead center-of-head effect)... much better with speakers IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back