Now I'm helping my friend choose phones too.
Oct 28, 2002 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DarkWolf

500+ Head-Fier
Well, it doesn't look like I'm going to talk him into going in on two sets of 590s from meier audio with me, even though I still think it's a fine choice for him. He just doesn't want to spend that much.

Basicaly, he's heard the V6 and liked them and thinks they are a good price/performance ratio for him. So let's use that as a referance point. I know that the V6 are pretty good, especialy for the price and without use of an amp or high quality source. However, we are in agreement that they feel a little claustrophobic and have a pretty sad sound stage. Nothing i've heard really opens up comming out of a discman, but the 590s were a big step in the right direction. After trying them, he sees what I meant about the V6's sound stage and would like more.

We were somewhat looking at the 497, since I understand that it's somewhat popular with gammers. My friend plays lots of CS and would no doubt enjoy good placement quite a lot. After hearing and reading about the HD 280s I told him to check those out. He is interested in them and I am trying to find more info. I've heard a few people say they really like them, particularly for sound placement in games, which would be a big bonus. So what do people think of them? How do they compair to the V6 in terms of acuracy, sound stage, placement, frequency responce, with good bass as somethng of a priority and overall enjoyability? Thanks again to everyone.

Oct 29, 2002 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 9
Mine are still new, so my impressions are pre break-in, but so far I already like the 280 a little better than the V6. I don't think it will ever have as much midbass as the V6, but the low bass seems just as deep, which is fun.
smily_headphones1.gif
The upper registers sound a little smoother than the V6 to me, and there seems to be a little more midrange. Detail level seems about the same. Soundstage is definitely better -- not as good as the 497, but pretty darn good for a closed phone.

If you don't want a slimmer bass than the V6, the 280 probably won't float your boat (although as I said, the depth is there, and many say than an amp brings the rest out too). But in every other respect (except for price and goofy-look factor), I find it equal or better. SO FAR. Burn-in continues....

Oct 29, 2002 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 9
Sounds pretty good for pre-break in if you ask me. Make sure and let me know how it sounds after it's fully broken in. The mid bass and what not should come out more. Thanks for the input.

Oct 30, 2002 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 9
So.. Does anyone else have any other comments on the 280, or any other pair of phones that may be better than the V6 in the <$100 range? Thanks again people.

Oct 30, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 9
Well, so far so good at 30 hours (major break-in supposedly takes 40-50 hrs, with additional break-in up to 100 hrs). There's more bass presence, though whether that's the midbass waking up or the deep bass going deeper, or a mix of both, I can't tell yet. (And by deep I mean DEEP.) The top end has mellowed a little. The mids mostly sound the same (pretty good, to me). In general, the phones are warming up a little.

The score card so far:

Senn 280 - Wider soundstage, less prominent midbass (deep bass same as V6), a little smoother sound. Easily replaceable parts, 2-yr warranty. Can be converted to a headset.

Sony V6 - Lighter, proven durability (the Senn is a newer model), a little more affordable, more midbass, a little rougher overall sound.

I find the 280 more comfortable for my particular ears, because the drivers are further from the ears and don't rub like the V6 (said rubbing also causes "fat man sitting down in vinyl chair" microphonics, which are amusing but still...) But most people find the v6 comfortable.

The open-phone equivalent to the 280, IMO, is the Senn 497, which has an airier soundstage and more mid-bass (and less deep bass), but is otherwise a similar sounding phone and CHEAPER....
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 9
This is looking good. Subjectively speaking, how much sound would you say they block, in comparison to the V6 if you like. And do you have any way of telling me how you think they sound compaired to the 590? Thanks again.

Oct 30, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 9
i have the 280s, i have used the v6 before...

the 280s block out 30dbs at some freqs.. the most of any closed headphone that i know of... (besides etys)

they block out significantly more than the v6, but not loads more..

the 280 and the 590... kinda apples to oranges...

the 590 is brighter, and the bass doesnt go very deep compared to the 280... but thats just to my faded memory (i havent heard them in almost a year) i cant remember anything else..

the 280 sounds great tho. i play CS and they work well for it.. very well.

Oct 30, 2002 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 9
thanks for the input. these look perfect for my friend. i hope if he gets them before i get the 590s that i don't go crazy with confusion when i hear the bass. I really want an open phone and the 590 is about the best i can afford, but i like bass. i'm not a bass head, but it's still quite important to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back