Now I get it...
Jul 1, 2008 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

APSRN

New Head-Fier
Based on Head-Fi recommendations, I finally got around to getting a set of Koss Portapros. Absolutely amazing! My wife is even impressed by the wonderful tone these things have.

The only oddity is the temporal adjustment. It does work, but doesn't seem to hold the setting. When I take them off, it snaps back to the tightest setting.
However, this is a minor gripe compared to the performance and comfortable fit of these headphones!

On a related side-note, I am considering a set of "ear buds" or IEMs (or whatever they are called). Is there anything which is comparable to the Portapros (nice sound, reasonable price, comfortable)? I love products with high "bang-for-the-buck."

I searched, and apparently JVC Marshmallows (usually modded) are generally well-regarded...
I was surprised to see them in a local Circuit City...and more surprised that they were $35 (seems most people get them for <$20).

Bob

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 5
IEMs and earbuds are different...earbuds sit in your ear, but IEMs are rammed into your ear canal. IEMs tend towards the higher end of hi-fi, but you can find some great buds really cheap, like the JVC's you mentioned.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 5
When I started out with my first iPod, I listened first through the stock earbuds, but soon upgraded to Sennheiser CX300 which was a marked improvement. A lot of bang for the buck. Now I understand there is an improved model out as well called CX500. Havent tried those though.

When I eventually looked for an upgrade, I got the Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 pro which are IEM's which means you put them into the ear canal, giving good isolation. They gave another big improvement in sound, but are of course much more pricey than the CX300.

For a portable setup I would recommend earbuds/IEMs, but it's important that they are comfortable for you, or the sound quality wont matter one bit. Some like regular headphone's more. I have tried the porta pro's many moons ago, but I never liked the sound myself. Too much bass response for the music I listen to (classical), but they are comfortable to wear.

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 5
Ah the Portapros. Gotta get me another pair of those one day. As far as the JVC's go, I must be in a minority here. I bought a pair based on all of the praise they receive here. IMHO they are total crap. Not even worth $5 IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back