Now for some heresy
Aug 31, 2002 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

fredpb

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, I pulled off the Clou Reds off my HD600's and put the stock cables back on, to give me a sound similar the the HD580's that some recommended.

Sources were what I will usually use, and the amp the Premium Little.

The competitors were the HD600 with stock cables, and the HD570.

You know, the sounds are quite different. The HD600s emphasize the mids and highs with great detail, and the bass is a bit light, but tight. They come off as "brighter" than expected.

The HD570's had much better low end base response, decent very highs, and laid back mids, with less detain the the HD600's.

I think I will pass on the HD580s, as for me, <shudder>
confused.gif
I think I prefer the 570's in this case.
frown.gif

I still wish I could try the 590s, but my source for cheap ones dried up on me.

As far as Beyer's go, I have tried the DT900? It was nice, but too small for my fat head. Fully extended they were very tight on my head. The HD600's are nice and loose and have plenty of adjustment left. The HD570s at full extention just make it.

Grados'? Too bright for me. The SR125's were not for me. Neither were my old SR60's. I would like to try the SR325's but they are too pricey for my bedroom system. And the charts show they probably are also bright.

Oh well. The disease of audio refinement is a pain in the a*s.
And a pain in the credit card.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 31, 2002 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
I still wish I could try the 590s, but my source for cheap ones dried up on me.

Grados'? Too bright for me. The SR125's were not for me. Neither were my old SR60's. I would like to try the SR325's but they are too pricey for my bedroom system. And the charts show they probably are also bright.

I've actually "upgraded" from the 590s to the 600s - and I definitely prefer the 600's. The 590's are incoherent-sounding by comparison: Some of the notes heard from the 590's run into one another; the lower mids are bloated and semi-squash low-end detail; the bass doesn't go very deep; the upper mids are so recessed that vocals sound distant; the highs are a bit overdone and can be shrill at times. And I've heard the 570's, too - which sounded much like a junior pair of 590's.

Speaking of the Grado SR-325, that model is perhaps the brightest-sounding of the entire Grado line. I've heard the 325's only once... I need glasses for my ears!
mad.gif
The RS-1's may sound better than the other Grados, but I can't justify paying even half of their $695 price for them.

Sep 6, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 14
As far as Eagle_Drivers comments goes it is from someone who for whatever reason hates the HD590's. I on the other hand love the things. Sonically they are dead center between the tame sounding 600's and the quite bright Grados. I have owned the 600's, the 590's and the RS-1's but the only ones I kept were the 590's.

It should be stated that commonly people who reacted negatively to the 600 at first learned to like them after having them for awhile.

Sep 7, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 14
bkelly I agree with you, some peoples garbage is anothers treasure. I own both the 590s and 600s and find that they each shine in their own way. I often say that the 590s are better sounding movie phones and the 600s are better for music. Just my opinion though.....

Sep 7, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 14
Fyrfytrhodges,

As far as I can tell we are clearly in the minority. I have come to the conclusion that since the 590's are a newer model and were introduced into a world where the 600 had been the standard (even the amps you buy were probably voiced with the 600's in mind) ) the less tame, more aggressive nature of the 590's made them seem like a fix for the shortcomings of the 580/600's and for that reason the 600 fans are threatened by them. It's the only reason I can figure for the near hysterical remarks made about the 590.

You are on the right track though, it is a good idea to own both. That way you've got all the bases covered.

I sold my 600's but, in truth, I wish now I had kept them. They make a nice sound and are worthy headphoness. Same way with the 590's -- very worthy headphones.

I don't know what your mucic tastes are but the 590's excell on classical or accoustic jazz. Or probably any accoustic music. The little bit of extra top end they've got can really wake up a sleepy recording and makes "live" recordings really sound live.

I hope I see you again on another thread. I think the 590 fans are beginning to come out of hiding even at Head-Fi. I have noticed on other sites there is nothing like the anti 590 hysteria I see here.

Sep 7, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 14
I've said this on other threads so I might as well put it here too. After extensive listening to my 590, my 600 and my RS-1 with the Melos amp I have come to the conclusion that when it is all said and done the 590 and the 580/600 are opposite equals. The 590's are on the bright side while the 600 arre tame sounding. Where I think the 590 fits is for people who find the 600 too tame for their tates but the Grados to be too bright. For those people the 590 sits sonically right in between them. I am sure that is what Sennheiser intended when they developed them.

See Ya soon.

Best
Brian

Sep 7, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 14
Well there's certainly no fanatacism going on here. No, sir. Not a drop.

Sep 7, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by bkelly
I have come to the conclusion that since the 590's are a newer model and were introduced into a world where the 600 had been the standard (even the amps you buy were probably voiced with the 600's in mind) ) the less tame, more aggressive nature of the 590's made them seem like a fix for the shortcomings of the 580/600's and for that reason the 600 fans are threatened by them.

It couldn't be that people objectively just don't like them as much? Why must it be some psychological sub-conscious phenomenon?
wink.gif

Quote:

I have noticed on other sites there is nothing like the anti 590 hysteria I see here.

We're just more discerning here
evilfire.gif

P.S. I'm kidding, of course (about the second part, not the first
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Sep 7, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by bkelly
Fyrfytrhodges,

I think the 590 fans are beginning to come out of hiding even at Head-Fi. I have noticed on other sites there is nothing like the anti 590 hysteria I see here.

The HD 590 rule. Great value for money. People bashing this model also puzzle me.

Then again, I also like the Sony MDR-CD3000, which has "Sony" written on it making it another cursed product....

Hey don't look at me that way..at least my amp doesn't have a "GigaBass" on/off button.

Sep 8, 2002 at 12:24 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by beowulf
The HD 590 rule. Great value for money. People bashing this model also puzzle me.

Then again, I also like the Sony MDR-CD3000, which has "Sony" written on it making it another cursed product....

Hey don't look at me that way..at least my amp doesn't have a "GigaBass" on/off button.

I'm not bashing either of those two headphones; I've honestly heard both of them - and I own the HD 590. But after buying a pair of the HD 600, I now realize what I was missing in the 18 months that I've owned the HD 590. The midrange in the HD 590 just isn't as coherent with the bass and treble as it could have been.

Then again, I don't care much for the Sony MDR-CD3000, either. What the heck are tinny ringing resonances and echoey mids doing in such an expensive pair of headphones? That's exactly what I've heard from the MDR-CD3000. I can clearly hear such serious flaws, no matter how expensive (or how cheap) the headphones are. To my ears the cheaper MDR-CD2000 sounded a bit better, but still too mid-bass-heavy.

The bottom line is while the HD 590 is a pretty good pair of headphones, it just isn't good enough for its high price. Just my findings - and not necessarily anyone else's.

Sep 9, 2002 at 8:22 AM Post #12 of 14
I don't know about any of you guys, but I would pay money to see Bkelly and Eagle_Driver duke it out a la Celebrity Death Match or in the Octagon! The fun will never end as both of them use various headphone and amplification systems to bash each other's heads in.

I can just see it now... Brian cranking up the 590's, forcing them on EagleDriver's head as he tapes them and puts a bag over Eagle's head. Eagle lets out a primal scream as he claws on the bag to remove the medieval torture device from his head.

As he rips the 590's apart, EagleDriver jumps on Bkelly and violates him with a pair of 600's! Brian screams like a straight man in prison as EagleDriver pumps up the volume. Ladies and gentlemen, now I've seen everything! It's a battle for headphone supremacy. The winner takes all. It's a struggle for life and death, since the loser will be forced to wear the dreaded headphones and LIKE them.

Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen an let's get ready to ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumble!!!!

Sep 9, 2002 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 14
I may be a little late coming to the party... this thread seems to have started somewhere else or at some other time.

What exactly are you looking for? What was it about the HD 600 that made you want to consider the other models???

Seems like you wanted to try Grado but didn't like the brightness of the 125. If that's the case, might want to try the higher end Grados. (BTW: I've got the 125s as well and like them OK, but also have an issue with brightness, especially when I first had them... either my ears got more used to the sound or they did change with burn-in... after ~ 50 hours, the sound character mellowed, the highs were less irritating, but still not my favorite can... don't know if yours had enough time in for this mellowing to take effect or not).

At the WOH Tour, had an opportunity to try the RS1. They're LOVELY! Sound more full and rich than the 325, 225, 125, etc. Have the "impact" that Grados are known for but with extremely pleasing highs. Very nice! But also out of my price range... for now.

Something more in the HD 600 range might be Etymotic ER4P/S. Excellent sound and balance, no issues with a headband, and if you get the ER4P, you can power them from portable sources, they isolate well for air travel AND won't disturb others even when listening to fairly loud music. Key issue for me, my wife is able to fall asleep when I'm using the Ety's. She can't when the Grado's are around because she can hear everything that I'm hearing.

Good luck with the search!

Bruce

Sep 10, 2002 at 1:27 AM Post #14 of 14
Bifcake,

Another 5 pointer!

Beowulf,

Where you been all my life. I think there at least 5 of us who are vocal about are affection for the 590. Keep in touch.

Best
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back