Notebook sound
Feb 17, 2007 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Lowfront

100+ Head-Fier
Alright I recently sold my brother all my home theater equipment as I have decided to go mobile with everything.

So I got myself a new thinkpad x60 notebook (that I'm in love with)

And really looking to greatly improve the sound. Right now I'm just listening with my Sennheiser PXC 250.

As far as audio goes I've gone down every road accept for headphones. I have done up my car really well and my Home decent.

Sorry for making this a lifestory but kind of introducing myself I guess. Anyways I started my search for a solution on headphone.com

Got looking at the Senheiser HD 595 with the HeadRoom Total BitHead.

What do you guys think of something like this?

As far as what I listen to for music

Mostly indie rock stuff. But my taste is everywhere. I listen to everything really.

Also my notebook doesn't have line out. Is that a problem with an amp?

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 13
Bithead is a good way to go.

I am currently using the M-Audio Transit, but that lacks an amp, which the Bithead has.

The idea is, get the sound processing out of the notebook. On-board sound for most notebooks plainly sucks, an off-board DAC will dramatically improve the sound.

Both the Bithead and the M-Audio Transit connect using your computer's USB ports, so not having a line out won't be a problem.

The Bithead should work pretty well with a wide range of headphones, so you're not necessarily tied to any one model, but you could do far worse than the 595's you're thinking of.

Once you get the Bithead up and running you can start working on software, such as which library manager/player to use (A LOT of folks around here prefer Foobar2000, I am one of those) and getting ASIO working.

Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 13
I'm running ubuntu though. Any suggestions as far as headphones are concerned? I'm a fan of sennheiser and headphones.com recommended that model as a beginner headphone audiophile model.

Kind of sucks to buy a 200 amp and such for a what 250$ set of headphones?

Feb 17, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 13
I have a ThinkPad X60 too and am currently waiting for my equpiment in my Sig to be shipped to me. I went with a Firestone USB DAC and Beyond Amp to go with a new Senns HD600.

Can't wait to listen to it.

Feb 17, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 13
does the bithead have a line out? if not, wouldn't be more economical to buy a seperate dac and amp? When time comes for an upgrade, you don't necessarily have to replace both.

Feb 18, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #8 of 13
My big delema too. I really don't have 600bucks to throw down for a 250$ pair of headphones.

I'm going single.

Feb 18, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #9 of 13
There is some merit to individual DAC/Amp, as mentioned, you can upgrade them one at a time as finances permit.

I guess a lot depends on how portable your setup needs to be.

Feb 18, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #10 of 13
$200 or $600

I really don't see how I could spend $600 for a $300 set of headphones. Does this make sense?

Feb 18, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowfront /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't see how I could spend $600 for a $300 set of headphones. Does this make sense?

You obviously haven't been hanging around here long enough to realize that this kind of spending makes PERFECT sense...
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #12 of 13
The headphonia is a very reasonable idea, and will probably give you exactly what you are looking for. The reviews on them have been very good, as far as I can tell, better than for something like a bithead. I think you're right that a one-box solution makes very good sense at a certain level of investment, especially in connection with a laptop.

The HD595, on the other hand, seems to me to be a hasty choice. It's what people usually go for when they want a pretty headphone that can be used for anything. The problem is that even in the same price range, I think one can do far better, with a more pleasing and musical headphone. For an indie rock oriented listening pattern at the same price point, you'd be better off with a Grado SR-225, a Beyer DT990 Pro, or even better and cheaper, try to get a Koss A250 on the for sale forum.

Feb 19, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #13 of 13
Ya I changed my mind with the headphone choice going to go with the Alessandro MS-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back