Not totally satisfied with my new cans
Jul 16, 2008 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ultimo101

New Head-Fier
Audio Technica's ATH-A700.

Alright, so after a few nights of research I decided to purchase this product.
Now that I get them Im noticing one MAJOR flaw. When at a decently loud volume.. the quality drops tremendously. The cymbals and treble noises get quite distorted.

Theres really nothing I can do about this so I am sorry for just ranting. But I mean, I paid $175 for headphones, I figured this wouldnt be an issue...

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ultimo101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio Technica's ATH-A700.

Alright, so after a few nights of research I decided to purchase this product.
Now that I get them Im noticing one MAJOR flaw. When at a decently loud volume.. the quality drops tremendously. The cymbals and treble noises get quite distorted.

Theres really nothing I can do about this so I am sorry for just ranting. But I mean, I paid $175 for headphones, I figured this wouldnt be an issue...

Sounds like an amplification problem. I don't think this has anything to do with the Headphones.

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 15
...well, there you go then...

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

So I need to buy an amp? I chose these because they were supposed to be excellent without an amp

Your sound card just doesn't have the power to drive your headphones at the volume you want.

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

ooh -_-
I guess I should have asked this first. What about a decent stereo amp (using the 1/4" adaptor)? Surely that should be enough

Yep

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

My pc's creative soundcard.

That's a problem

You should browse in the portable amps/full-size amps and source threads for some clues. There are a LOT of things there you can read. Every headphone can shine when it acquires a good synergy all the way from the source and to get there you need to find the equipment and that sounds good for your taste.

Good luck finding them
wink.gif
and enjoy the ride there
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #13 of 15
ultimo, i've used 4 different creative based sound cards, over a span of 10 years and i've found they only distort when you've messed with equalizer settings or the bass/treble settings. don't ever boost the bass or treble beyond 50% (default setting). if you want to boost bass, then lower the treble, don't increase the bass. always cut, never boost.

also, make sure you're not maxing out the volume in the sound card panel; at 100%, it's bound to distort. if you want/need more volume, you really need an amp (which will also boost sound quality).

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ultimo, i've used 4 different creative based sound cards, over a span of 10 years and i've found they only distort when you've messed with equalizer settings or the bass/treble settings. don't ever boost the bass or treble beyond 50% (default setting). if you want to boost bass, then lower the treble, don't increase the bass. always cut, never boost.

also, make sure you're not maxing out the volume in the sound card panel; at 100%, it's bound to distort. if you want/need more volume, you really need an amp (which will also boost sound quality).

Shahrose, brings up some very valid points. I would suggest setting the volume controls and the frequency controls all at 50%. The main volume control can be less than 50% if you wish. Second, I suggest "turning off" the equalizer for headphone useage. In Creative "Speaker Settings" make sure "Headphones" is selected in the speaker/headphones option drop down list.
Taking your description of what you are looking for in a headphone amp, and the impression I have is that you are looking for an inexpensive one, you might want to check out this one:

Behringer | AMP800 - MINIAMP Compact 4-Channel | MINI AMP AMP800

I use this amp connected to the sound card (SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum) on my office computer. Especially when you consider it's inexpensive price of only $40, it has a very nice sound.
Good luck.

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You must have tried the X-fi rated Cards then? ..because their output gets distorted when EQ is used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back