Not that impressed with the Phillips X2
Feb 4, 2015 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ematthews

100+ Head-Fier
I got spoiled from my Beyer T1 cans from last year.. Not sure but I can't seem to see what the fuss is about on the X2 from Phillips. The mids seem way to recessed for me.. I got out of headphones last year since I didn't use them that much. I prefer to listen to my RAAL ribbon Ascend towers.. In any case I see Amazon has these on back order for over a month. Anyone here want to pick up a set of two week old Phillips X2 before I send them back?
I guess I will most likely pick up some Grado PS500's that I enjoyed so much..

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 18
I got spoiled from my Beyer T1 cans from last year.. Not sure but I can't seem to see what the fuss is about on the X2 from Phillips. The mids seem way to recessed for me.. I got out of headphones last year since I didn't use them that much. I prefer to listen to my RAAL ribbon Ascend towers.. In any case I see Amazon has these on back order for over a month. Anyone here want to pick up a set of two week old Phillips X2 before I send them back?

That's similar to my experience with the Phillips "downtowns" or whatever they're called. I think Tyll put them on his wall of fame, so even though I usually have different taste than he does, I was buying a pair for the lady friend...so since they came in purple, I pulled the trigger. They were incredibly cheaply built, sounded average at best, and the cable went after about a month. I won't be buying Phillips headphones again anytimme soon. 

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 18

you have to wait for them to burn in, they improve drastically, at first I thought they were bs, but I was willing to give them time as I was coming from HD650 and HE-500. 
Once they settled in the x2 does get more head time, I find it better than HD650 in almost all areas and while HE-500 has better speed and technicalities the sound is just not as pleasing as the x2. 

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 18

The $1200 headphones are better than the $300 headphones. Ok got it.

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 18
Not the point. I have seen many cheaper sets sound better than high price ones..

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 18
  you have to wait for them to burn in, they improve drastically, at first I thought they were bs, but I was willing to give them time as I was coming from HD650 and HE-500. 
Once they settled in the x2 does get more head time, I find it better than HD650 in almost all areas and while HE-500 has better speed and technicalities the sound is just not as pleasing as the x2. 

How is the bass on HD650 vs X2? I find the latter got too much bass quantity :S

Not the point. I have seen many cheaper sets sound better than high price ones..

Did you compared x2 to sennheiser hd600/650 or dt150?

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #13 of 18

How is the bass on HD650 vs X2? I find the latter got too much bass quantity :S

Did you compared x2 to sennheiser hd600/650 or dt150?

The x2 has more bass and better bass that is also faster. The bass on the x2 is tighter than HD600 and HD650. Its slightly looser than my hifiman HE-500. 

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #14 of 18
  How much do you want to part them for? I was eyeing these to go with my AKG 702 and my Aune T1 setup for some bassier songs. 

The x2 is a neutral can with great bass, the bass is in line with the harman target response, you wouldn't need your 702 if you had the x2, trust me you would keep going to the x2 more. Sometimes I feel like selling my Hifiman he-500, the only problem with the x2 is the slightly grainy treble, you can't tell the problem if you compare with cans under the 500 dollar mark but compared to the higher end cans there is a noticeable difference in the treble quality. I absolutely love the mids they are thick and intimate and very tasty indeed, despite the bass emphasis I think the timbre of the mids is perfect just slightly thickened because of the midbass, but that gives it a lovely tonality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back