1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Not satisfied with ie8's, what's next?

1. solaris7
    Hi fellow head-fi'ers it's that time of the year where I spoil myself, my ears actually. I am writing this after finally settling my divorce with the senn ie8's (boy, she really fought for custody of our comply foam tips).

Ok, on a more serious note I really wanted to love them, they were my first experience with high end iem's but one thing really bothered me, whenever I listened to a song where the singer placed emphasis on the 's' letter in any word (almost like a small hissing sound), I just could not bear to listen to that word, and hence that song anymore, it was too harsh to listen to. I am too much of a noob to know what that is called musically.

* I also did not care for the bass, it did not blow me away, no oomph.

* What I loved was the soundstage, I really got lost in my music.

* I also liked that it was not too technical and thus did not emphasize flaws in the recording, it was a fun pair to listen to.

* These were the real deal, not fakes.

In summary, please recommend me a pair, in the same price range (~$450), oh head fi gods.

2. truckdriver
    Due to my limited experience, I can''t make a recommendation. I can only recommend that you seek advice from those with similar issues with the IE8. I presently own the IE8, but I haven't experienced the sibilance issue (not even in the beginning with the original tips). Treble/mids sounded distant and perhaps a little shrill but not sibilant with my DAPs.

I believe my use of triple-flange tips is sort of like a high-pitch filter. I have to turn the treble all the way up to get it back in balance. In my case, it appears to also aid in a thicker tone and less bloat/boom of “mid-bass”. Bass muddiness is still about the same. Overall, it's a "warm" yet natural sound. It's OK.

Whether it's headphones/earphones/speakers, I've always turned up the bass (in one form or another). R&B/ Rap/Soul/Funk/Blues are all derived/anchored/driven by bass. With the IE8, it's hard to find a bass boosting point where it all comes together (kick/resonance/accuracy).

Between headphone amps, good sources, EQing, and the knobs on the IE8 itself; I'll bet there's a sweet spot in the bass range. Unfortunately, I don't have the motivation to find out because the isolation of the IE8 is so bad, I can't use it in the truck I drive (which to me is the whole point of IEMs).