-Not relevant anymore-
Apr 23, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #151 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using v1 with E5, cmoy, and XM3. v2 for 3MOVE and T4.

Quote:

Anyway, I finally couldn't stop myself from ordering some really expensive Black Gate NX HiQ for more experiment, especially since Parts Connection is having a spring sale event right now. I don't expect them to come in a week or two (need more connectors as well), but I will keep you guys updated on how Black Gate compare to the Nichicon ES I am using now. Stay tuned.

How do the ES caps compare to no caps with you E5, cmoy, and XM3?

Quote:

Originally Posted by S J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also seems to be less background noise, though that may be due more to the LOD being at 'max volume' whereas before I used it at 3/4 or so. I haven't had time to sit down and do some comparative listening between the LOD and the headphone out yet, but I'll get around to it sometime soon.

Here is the response from sansafix on forums.sandisk.com:
"The HP output is from a different signal path on the PCB vs the Line out. Line out is slightly better performance in specs because there is no circuitry in the path that is required by the FM antenna which is implemented from the HP cable. So separation and SMR is slightly better."

So it does sound better. Anyone know where I can look at a circuit diagram of the Fuze LO and HP out?

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #152 of 159
You were not born a winner, and you were not born a loser. You are what you make yourself be.

- Lou Holtz

Apr 23, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #153 of 159
Quote:

With XM3, v1 is ultra clean. I can hear all the very fine detail with it. v2 tend to have better bass attack and fuller mid (effect of the caps no doubt) , but at the cost of (a bit) fine detail. You probably won't notice the slight detail loss unless you are using very detail sounding 'phone like RE0 or ER4. In comparison, v2 is a bit colored, but the degree is very small and close to undetectable unless you are ABX'ing. I am referring to the Nichicon ES caps I am currently using (and VP series sound close to ES), not sure how other caps will sound

I have A/Bed 4 different caps in LODs: BG NX 220uF, Nichicon KT 220uF, Panasonic ECE 47uF, and Nichicon VP 47uF. I would say the bass response of the 220uF caps is slightly better than the 47uF, but barely noticeable with my setup Fuze -> E5 -> IE8 (and ADDIEM). Definitely not noticeable unless you are A/Bing IMO. I am going to do some more lengthy, detailed comparisons when I get a chance.

Quote:

You can find the SoC datasheet on AMS website, but only Sandisk has the schematic of the HO and LO signal path. Fuze PCB is multi-layered, so you can't tell which path is going where easily.

Thanks ClieOS! So, looking at the data sheet there are differences at the chip level. The configurations are much different between HP out and line out, as the HP out uses pop and click control where the line out does not. Also, the line out is designed to drive 10K loads, so I think I would be safe assuming the amps are different.

Also, the specs are different:
average_joe-albums-lod-parts-picture2380-fuze-lo-v-hpo-specifications.jpg

Add what sansafix said, and external dedicated amplifiers (or DAC/amps) being better than the internal Fuze amp, and the specification differences add up to what my ears are telling me: there is a very noticeable improvement via line out (especially since my IE8s are 16 Ohm).

Edit: not that the question of if the line out sounds better than HP out was asked here, but in another thread in another forum, which I am expanding upon this answer!

Apr 24, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #154 of 159
Quote:

Most definitely, unless your amp has input DC filter. You won't want to actually burn your headphone via high voltage, right?
wink.gif

Anyway, I finally couldn't stop myself from ordering some really expensive Black Gate NX HiQ for more experiment, especially since Parts Connection is having a spring sale event right now. I don't expect them to come in a week or two (need more connectors as well), but I will keep you guys updated on how Black Gate compare to the Nichicon ES I am using now. Stay tuned.

My amp is MINI 3, so does it have input DC filter?
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #155 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by reviri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My amp is MINI 3, so does it have input DC filter?
confused_face_2.gif

I am not sure actually, better go to AMB and check out the spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back