not overly impressed with re0/re-zero :(
Sep 2, 2011 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nehcrow

1000+ Head-Fier
I know this may sound weird but I've had two pairs of Head-Direct RE0/HiFiMan RE-ZERO and I was never overly impressed with the sound quality (plus the build quality is terrible). Nothing in the sound signature really stands out to me, maybe it's just my ears I don't know. Sometimes it's a little harsh on my ears too, my MS-1's never really had this problem...
Anyone have a replacement for it? I'm looking for something that is pleasing to the ears and is quite detailed. Around the same price too (can stretch this budget a bit if needed).
I'm liking the inclusion of the Brainwavz range, can someone fill me in on those models?
I listen to a wide range of music: rock in general, jazz, electronic music, classical, folk w/e, you name it.

Sep 2, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 11
It's not surprising. The Re0/zero aren't very good. I'll be interested to see what people suggest in the same price range.

Be careful of suggestions from people who over-hyped the Re0/zero.

Sep 2, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
It's not surprising. The Re0/zero aren't very good. I'll be interested to see what people suggest in the same price range.

Be careful of suggestions from people who over-hyped the Re0/zero.

glad i'm not alone. all i see is praise for this IEM...
any replacement suggestions?

Sep 2, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
You're best bet would be to look at the EX600. I know it's a bit over your budget, but what you're getting rivals pairs that are twice the price of the EX600

AT LEAST twice. I'd also recommend the EX600, if you don't mind sub-par isolation, albeit isolation varies depending on the tips used.

Sep 2, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 11
I have also been underwhelmed by the Re-Zero's, I don't see what the hype was all about... but maybe I am just not a fan of IEM's in general. IMO a mediocre product.

Sep 3, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 11
As per the OP, the RE252's offer a sound that's most certainly pleasing to the ears and is quite detailed, but they're certainly outside your budget. Else they'd be my first and foremost recommendation, as I personally prefer them to even the EX600's. There's always the FOR SALE forum of course, and it's how I acquired my RE252's. Next to the Zo, it was definitely the second best purchase I've made here on Head-Fi. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 11
Yea, I have to agree with most of you.

The re0's aren't really anything special and I myself got caught into the hype of liking them when they first came out.  I mean they are pretty analytical and all but pure musical enjoyment is almost non-existent.  With all the elitism on here I figured a more neutral response was best but they sounded the thinnest of any IEM I've ever heard in my life.  However if you do like to analyze your music then these would work for it. 

Also they aren't actually all too bad with a bass boost but if you want a bassier sound signature then this IEM shouldn't even be on your radar in the first place
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 11
nehcrow, do you like your MS-1 ? If so, I dare to suggest Klipsch IMAGE S4. Some don't like its sharp treble, but its speed and bass are nice enough; it is not a popular earphones here, you can also find some very favorable reviews. Anyway, fake ones are out there already, please do buy from trusted sellers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back