Not noticing a difference between 128 kbit/s Ogg and Flac
Sep 21, 2009 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

New Head-Fier
I have my CDs ripped in Flac. This way I have the best quality and then I can convert it to whatever I wish.

For my music player [cowon d2+] I was converting it to 256kbit/s Ogg. Because I could afford the space and it seemed to sound the same as the original Flac files. Now I can no longer afford 256kbits/s Ogg so I decided to see how low I can go. I went to 128kbit/s and didn't find a difference to the original Flac files.

Now my question is; Is this normal? Is my equipment [grado sr60i] low-fi enough not to notice the difference? or did I miss something along the way?

Thanks for reading.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bad ears?

I hope that is true, this way I won't have to spend any more money on audiophile equipment
smily_headphones1.gif
. I never considered myself much of an audiphile, although I like noticing the difference between my sr60i and the Sony MDR-V300 even though it's not a fair fight.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 0947 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope that is true, this way I won't have to spend any more money on audiophile equipment
smily_headphones1.gif
. I never considered myself much of an audiphile, although I like noticing the difference between my sr60i and the Sony MDR-V300 even though it's not a fair fight.

Man, I would never hope to have bad ears.
triportsad.gif
Try more challenging music?

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 21
It's totally possible that you don't know what to listen for. If you're happy not knowing, I'm happy not telling. Do whatever makes you happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, I would never hope to have bad ears.
triportsad.gif
Try more challenging music?

I got all sorts of music. What would you call challenging music?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's totally possible that you don't know what to listen for. If you're happy not knowing, I'm happy not telling. Do whatever makes you happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah it's making me happy being able to carry more music with me. But I love learning so if you would be so kind I would love to know what to listen for.

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Be happy, don't know and it will save you a lot of money, or you can be curious, and you know what that did to the cat, it will do the same to your wallet.
regular_smile .gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 21
Try comparing 128 mp3 with lossless. The reason why you have difficulty hearing the difference is because vorbis gives a believable sound at low bitrates and you don't really hear cymbals that well with a portable setup. Maybe you'll hear the difference eventually with your setup, but I suggest you listen for a week or longer of only lossless, then try comparing again. But the difference will still be pretty small because of how well ogg does on an mp3 player.

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #9 of 21
I have to agree regarding lossless, I've got RS-1's and can't tell between flac and 165kps VBR vorbis either although I have not really done lengthy a/b tests, had a couple of tracks in flac, ogg 165kps, 256kps and 400kps and couldn't tell any apart. But I can with mp3.

Sep 21, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree regarding lossless, I've got RS-1's and can't tell between flac and 165kps VBR vorbis either although I have not really done lengthy a/b tests, had a couple of tracks in flac, ogg 165kps, 256kps and 400kps and couldn't tell any apart. But I can with mp3.

Yeah when I tested before [maybe my hearing has changed], I noticed a difference between mp3 below 256kbps and flac.

noob question: Is it possible that this is the headphones fault [seen as you have grado rs1]? I've heard, as in people say, that some headphones are more forgiving than others about low bit-rate files, maybe grados are like that.

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 21
Mp3 can be differentiated at 128 kbps, but it is not as easy as people think. Ogg is upposed to sound better than mp3, and it is not surprising you cannot tell it apart from lossless. You saved yourself big money in DAP storage!. Be happy!.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 21
It may have several reasons:
* The gear you use to play back the music.
* The complexity of the music.
* Your ears and your ability to hear artifacts.
* The encoder/codec.

All in all you might hear an audible difference if you for example used different gear for playback. One never know until you have given it a try..
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back