Not much on cx200 and cx300 mk II so i'll chime in
Nov 25, 2009 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

0roo0roo

Head-Fier
Comparing the two the cx200 certainly has more bass, but its of the thuddy mud type. the cx300 mk II does seem to be an improved cx300, voice clarity is very good now, so listening to music on it is pretty nice. the cx300 original model is somewhere between the two. build quality is good as always, and the cords now are thick and round instead of thin and flat like the cx300. the 200 has a sliding clip on the cord for holding one ear bud if you are monitoring with a single bud as it is Y cord. better in theory than practice as holding the weight of all that with one ear doesn't work all that great. one ear monitoring still works better with J cord.

the cx200 type does seem to have a flaw. the back of the units are indented instead of round. Amazon.com: Sennheiser CX 200 In Ear Canal Ear bud: Electronics atleast the way my ears are shaped cx300 types are wedged in place by the ear cartilage adding to the secure fit.. the cx200's reduced back area reduces contact and makes the units feel looser in the ear. perhaps this is just my ears but i think it might apply to some others as well.

Nov 25, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 9
Thanks for the impressions. It's great to hear that the CX300-II is much improved from its predecessor.

It's interesting to see some more impressions on the CX200 as well. It seems that everybody so far agrees that it's muddy. I actually own the CX250 (which uses the same housing design as the CX200), but strangely enough it's actually very clear and surprisingly transparent, though it is still bassy and a bit too aggressive for my taste. (Brief impressions here.)

Nov 25, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 9
yea its hard to describe this stuff:p shame we don't have objective tests more for audio equipment.

impressions depend on context and comparison i guess. the cx200's flaws were mostly noticeable when i did quick switching between the two headphones. its not horrible. but the difference in bass level is the thing that jumps out at you. depending on your tastes or budget the 200 can be acceptable. still the voice clarity on the 300 is better. the emphasis is different at the same volume, voice is much louder and clearer on the 300 mkII, whereas at the same volume the voice is a bit distant on the 200 and the bass thuds more. like when i was listening to diana krall, the 300mk2 her singing is center stage, whereas on the 200 the double bass being plucked was almost louder than her voice, taking center stage because of the bass. i mean its hardly bad, i've heard far worse. but its not to my tastes to have such bass at the expense of voice. in any case the new 300's are certainly an improvement, i wasn't impressed by the originals which i thought were sibilant and bassy.

Nov 26, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 9
Well, I think that there is the possibility of the CX200 and CX250 using different drivers, especially since I find the CX250 to be far clearer (but more sibilant) than the CX300 (old version). In the UK there seems to be another model indentical to the CX250, the CX299, which touts "HD Sound," whatever that means. Not sure if the two products are related though.

I certainly don't doubt your impressions since they seem to be in line with others. Maybe it's just me being weird.
tongue.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 9
Sennheiser markets that so called flaw as a feature, they say it makes it easy to insert and remove the 'phones.
This lil' review has got me wondering though, the consensus on this forum (AFAIK) is that the CX300 isn't that great. It just seems that they are all talking about the first version though and not of the 2nd and improved version. I would like to see a more thorough review of the CX300-IIs, with a more elaborate comparison to competing IEMs and see if they are still considered to not be good value compared to the competition.

Nov 26, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 9
they are certainly talking of the first version. the first version sold bundles esp when discounted heavily near the end so the vast majority of talk was about that model. not many have the mkII's yet.

and yes reviews are scarce.

hm just noticed that "Innovative holding system (Twist-to-fit system) ensures best possible fit"
i don't buy it, the reduced grip area makes them harder to hold with the fingers to begin with. if they are finger grips they are built for baby fingers.

Nov 26, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 9
I also heard that there were fake models of th CX300 around, could they have altered people's opinions on these phones somewhat? If that's true though and goes unnoticed by most.

Nov 26, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also heard that there were fake models of th CX300 around, could they have altered people's opinions on these phones somewhat? If that's true though and goes unnoticed by most.

its an issue for all models these days.
fakeheadphones.com
though knowledge of fakes has also spread to the point where people tend to ask whether somethings fake if theres a hot deal in slickdeals or fatwallet on headphones.

and yes this stuff is a bit opaque, its a shame we dont have sites that do tear downs on headphones. whether the 200=250 ...who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back