Not happy with my new Creative XFI XtremeMusic card. What should I get?
Jun 25, 2011 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

killeraxemannic

100+ Head-Fier
Got a used xtreme music and I am not happy with the sound quality that it outputs to my headphones. It sounds tinny and harsh. I only paid $20 for it so its not too much of a loss. What should I buy instead? Don't want to spend a whole lot of money so a DAC is out of the question. 

Thanks!!

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 32
What gear do you use, speakers, headphones? And what are your listening habits? Music, gaming, movies? Also, which OS are you running?

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 32
Do you have any DSP effects enabled, like Crystalizer, EAX, SVM, etc? Also, any and all X-Fi settings have to be changed through Creative's control panels, never through Windows as that makes a mess out of the system configuration.

For how long have you been using those headphones? Because AD700 is known for its gaming prowess, both soundstage and good positional cues, but being quite bass light.

Jun 26, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 32

Quote:
Its better to get a little better sound card. Xonar DX might be better.

A better card? Yes. A Xonar card? No.

@killeraxemannic: Just like you were already asked on the previous thread you created, are you sure those headphones are right for you? They're not everyone's cup of tea, and certainly not the most "fun" and easy to get into headphones.

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #11 of 32
Fine, if you prefer to spend money switching cards, there are plenty available. Creative X-Fi Titanium is a good purchase for little money, just like Auzentech X-Fi Forte, or if you can stretch your budget, you can get a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD, one of the best soundcards available right now. All of those have a complete gaming feature set that other cards, like Xonar series, don't have.

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #13 of 32
Either of those would work best, and each is a step higher on the ladder of audio quality
wink.gif

How much is your budget for headphones?

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #15 of 32
For that budget you have quite a selection available to you, and I'm just talking about new gear, because if you went to the FS forum, you'd get even more.

There are several headphones you could consider:
- Audio Technica ATH-M50
- Shure SRH840
- Ultrasone HFI-580
- Sennheiser HD25-1 II
- Denon DN-HP700

I've heard quite the praise over those Sennheisers, but keep in mind they're supraaural, so they won't go all around your ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back