Not getting balanced input on M-Audio 2496
May 22, 2005 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Johncan

New Head-Fier
Hey Glassman & other card experts.

I have a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 with the latest drivers. My PC's OS is WinXP Pro SP2. I am trying to transfer some vinyl to CD via my PC. I am seeing about 3 to 4 dB difference in the left channel versus the right channel. I have tried various preamps, interconnects, and turntables & cartridges; the channel difference remains constant with whatever equipment I use. The only way I can get the right and left channel to be equal is to use the balance control on the preamps. I am figuring the problem is the soundcard. Any ideas how to fix this? Also, if my soundcard is at fault, what should I replace it with?

TIA.

John

May 22, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 7
Dumb question: What does a loopback give as a result, and have you checked the balance setting in the mixer?

May 23, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johncan
How do I do a loopback?

Connect output to input, preferably via a known-good cable.

May 27, 2005 at 12:55 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johncan
And then what? Play a music file and check the meters?

Yup. Preferably something in mono.

May 31, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #7 of 7
OK... call me stupid. I hooked a digital cable between the digital input and the digital output and played a mono file in Cooledit Pro 2.0. However, I could not tell if I was seeing the playback on the VU meters of CE Pro 2.0 or the input on the VU meters. Can someone clarify the loopback procedure to me?

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back