Not an Audiophile: Best Over-the-Ear Headphones Under $60?
Jun 28, 2014 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AudioPleb

New Head-Fier
Hello,
     So as the title and my username suggests, I do not claim to be a connoisseur of audio nor do I have an interest to be at the moment. What I am looking for, is an improvement in the quality of my audio activities which ranges from gaming to streaming music from YouTube and Spotify (aka, not FLAC). I've been contemplating buying the MDR-7506 for a month but after re-assessing my typical usage, I don't think it could be justified for ~$85. I recently just impulse-bought the Sony Gold Wireless Stereo Headset (http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Wireless-Stereo-Headset-playstation-4/dp/B00HVBPRUO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) for $55, figuring that I could buy it now while it was still on sale and return it if I was dissatisfied. I've also been eye-ing the Logitech UE 4000s and UE 6000s lately. Here are a few dimensions I'm particularly interested in, by order of priority:

1) Audio quality: I know it's difficult to project what level of audio quality I am looking for. Put it this way, I've been using Apple earbuds for a long time now and just recently picked up some Velodynes after deciding not to shell out another $30 for Apples; on the other hand, I don't want/need a pair of $100+ headphones as I'm sure my ignorance in all things audio will allow me to pick up something within my price range and still surprise me.

2) Comfort: I'm particularly looking for circumaural headphones. I study about 7 hours all days of the week so I want something that will feel comfortable for extended periods of use - hence why I want listening devices other than in-ears which personally do tend to feel heavy in the ears after awhile.

3) Functionality: This area is mostly just a bonus - I really like headphones with some sort of remote/volume control. I like that the Apples and my Velodynes have an inline mic and remote, and that the Sony Gold Wireless have volume control as well. It's also why I've been looking at the UE 4000 and 6000s. While a pair of good headphones that doesn't have such features won't make me think of them any less, a pair that does have these capabilities will definitely pique my interest.

Any and all recommendations would be appreciated.

Jun 29, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 7
Sony MDR-V6 is currently on sale on Amazon at it's lowest price in several years for $55: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRV6-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ/

You can increase the comfort of them with these pads: http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Velour-Earcushions-MDR7506-Headphones/dp/B0016MF7W2

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the replies! I took the MDR-V6 deal yesterday as I saw it in the morning on another forum. Immediately placed an order, because I knew it would go out of stock soon. The Sony Gold Wireless will come in this week, and the MDRs are supposed to arrive sometime next week. I'll make an assessment then. I paid the same price for both; if it turns out my ears are very untrained for audio quality and they sound the same to me (I know it sounds like a cardinal sin here), then I'll return the MDRs as the Gold Wireless while have more capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back