Not a newbie-Need <$100 iem for outdoor use-via phone. #1 Comfort, #2 No treble peakiness
Mar 24, 2022 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bixby

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Folks, long time member looking for a budget iem recs under $100 for use with my LG G7. Use case is outdoors on walks, so obviously bass above flat to counter ambient noise and footfalls.

Prior iems that fit great were Shure se-215 and Westone UM3X, ones that did not AT-E40 & Carbo Tenore, and Mee 6 pro. Each had their own sound issues compared to ideal.

Sound signature that I am looking for is on the warm and richer side with no treble peak in the response above the normal peaks we get in the presence region (2-3k).

Currently using Sony MH-755 and 750 with Comply tips. Bass is not prominent enough and upper mid presence is a bit too much. EQ cannot fix all of this.

Short list suspects include:

Moondrop Aria- Might still be a tad bright for me based on response curves.
Fiio JH3- Response likely to be a bit too bright for me with broad lift after 3k.
Final E3000- Worried that it may fit too much like Carbo Tenore- I have small canals and once seated deep enough all the weight is being supported by canal not concha.

Please no Ety recs, I consider them a torture device.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

Mar 24, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 7
The iBasso IT00 has exactly the sound signature you want, a big cushy bass and smooth treble. I enjoyed the sound but I had problems with the fit -- the lower edge is straight with a seam -- and with driver flex, which was solved by foam tips; you can repurpose your Complys. Apparently I am in the minority about the fit; lots of people here love it. If you can get a free-return version they might be worth a try.

Mar 24, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 7
The iBasso IT00 has exactly the sound signature you want, a big cushy bass and smooth treble. I enjoyed the sound but I had problems with the fit -- the lower edge is straight with a seam -- and with driver flex, which was solved by foam tips; you can repurpose your Complys. Apparently I am in the minority about the fit; lots of people here love it. If you can get a free-return version they might be worth a try.
Thanks for the rec, I appreciate it and the response looks right up my alley. Yet, uh oh, dreaded driver flex.

I had one or two iems with driver flex over the years and one did die because of it. I will never buy another iem with a history of driver flex, even though folks say it does not damage the driver.

Mar 28, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 7
Actually the SE-215s are pretty muddy in the lower mids and are limited in the lower treble, they do have a mid presence peak that makes intelligibility good. I had a few subsequent iems that did better. Yet the Shures fit really well. Not to say the others have been terrible, I reserve that for any Etymotic, haha.

I did just pick up a pair of Fiio Jade JH-3 based on a suggestion from a member here. They are pretty dang good iems. A few minor nits, but way better than anything I have used in the last decade or two. Excellent sound signature for on the go.

Mar 29, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 7
Yeah, not saying they're the best sounding iems by any stretch. I have the se535s too, they're way nicer but also a lot pricier. Got them at a huge discount luckily. Enjoy the Fiios! never tried em myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back