NOS DAC - Marketing BS?
Aug 30, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #106 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbenjamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would agree that "The technology doesn't exist to do both well, so you have to choose which you would prefer to have". makes sense to a point, in that many off the shelf dacs are either good with jitter , bad with frequency response, or the other way around - not both. In many of the higher end dacs - or the dacs like Lavry or PacificMicrosonics/Berkley, etc based on professional gear, you don't have to choose one of the other - the entire process is accurate, no sacrifices must be made.

Hi Benjamin,

Time domain and frequency domain are not two different things. They are a different way of looking at the same thing. You do not get to choose one over the other.

Jitter is usually viewed form a time stand point, but one can view it from a frequency stand point. A sine wave tone is usually often "viewed" by its frequency and amplitude (like an FFT plot), but one can look at it as a time domain signal (like as a scope).

Take some wave, say a 1KHz square wave, it can be looked at as a sum of harmonics. There is a 3Khz, 5Khz, 7KHz... If you change the amplitude or phase of ANY of the harmonics (frequencies domain alteration), when you look at the time domain (scope picture) the waveform is no longer the original square wave.

Now take say a sine wave (a scope picture). A single sine wave looks like a single tone in frequency domain (say FFT plot). Say you clip the top of it, or do anything to change its shape on the scope. When you look at the frequency domain, you will have more then one tone, the frequency picture changed.

You can not do one without the other. You do not get to choose one or the other.

Jitter decreases accuracy. It decreases the accuracy of the wave shape in the time domain, and it alters the frequency picture as well, such as smear, or adding side bands...

To have time domain transparency, you need low jitter. To have frequency domain transparency you need low jitter.

Once you have good time domain reproduction it is good at any domain. If a DAC is "bad with frequency response", it is also "bad with time response".

Altered frequency response means altered time domain wave shape. Cause and effect should be kept apart. Jitter is a cause for altering both time and frequency. Time and frequency are not separate entities. They are different points of view of the same thing.

Regards
Dan Lavry
Lavry Engineering

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #107 of 345
I may be an idiot, or not. Either way I am not insulted, I know which sounds better to me. Salesmen don't disturb me. My motivation was to communicate the reasons for what I hear as I understand them. I don't think I believe you, Dan that no 'jitter' is caused by the delay in the filter, but do as you like. Sadly I have no interest in arguing about it.

Sorry to get your panty bunched.

atsmile.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #108 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbenjamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ranchu - was that document converted from another language? I'm not trying to be rude, but it's pretty rough in parts. edit: It was a conversion, I wonder if the guys that did the work have as technical a grasp as needed, some of their references don't make sense and it makes the article sound very pseudoscience. You can tell thou that there is a driving opinion in the article that again, to the effect of "if it sounds good and your measurements don't agree with you, you're measuring the wrong thing" It's not a very scientific approach in my opinion, it more sounds like he's driving to get the data to match what he feels. Again, it's a rough translation.

Curve fitting?

I didn't think so, but it comes down to whether there is delay in the filter, 'homogenization/jittering' between different samplings?

I can say that what the guy is saying matches my experience of NOS, music is much more 'lively', like live music. OS seems more 'Correctly Reproduced'.

Peace.

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #111 of 345
It's difficult to describe, it's not pace rythym timing, more the sound of breath in a voice whispers more like how you hear it, cohesive on a very fine level. Not just the voices, tho. Attacks and decays are very real sounding.

'Correctly Reproduced'. Sounds good, frequency response, undistorted, etc. but somewhat flat, sterile. Subtleties are not as subtle as they are in life.

I'd recommend having a listen, if you haven't as yet!

beerchug.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #112 of 345
Can anybody remember the guys name and website who mounts his dacs bare circuit board on pine boards? He had some scope traces of this but I simply cannot remember! The traces showed 'pre ringing' of the waveforms...

Ah, found it.

Mother of Tone - Time or Band

Then over here you got sigma delta convertors.

Mother of Tone - Conversion Techniques

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #114 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Altmann. You really trust someone mounting digital chips on wood ?

I'm not against it, lol. The traces were what I was looking for, and thank you for the answer!!!

biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #115 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Lavry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a proffesional...

Then act like one. You don't need to talk down to people to make your points, and telling someone that they posted "garbage" doesn't improve the veracity of your technical arguments.

--Jerome

Aug 30, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #117 of 345
Dan, maybe you could comment on passive I/V conversion vs opamps as it is thought that no opamp is the best opamp. Also, what are your thoughts on the use of Pulse Transformers at the input of a dac?

Aug 30, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #119 of 345
I didn't really understand your post regarding headphone preferences, thisbenjamin. I think your sentence may have been missing a few words?

Anyway, I don't want to recommend one headphone versus another or go into specifics. But I own both an HD650 and a K 702. I am planning to recable the K 702. I also have two pairs of iPod earbuds and a Sony MDR-something that is about 10 years old, for whatever that's worth.

(I'm away at the moment, so I may be delayed in replying.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back