Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
May 26, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #5,371 of 6,459
Okay, I received my S4 8-wire today, and the first question which comes to mind is whether cables also need to be subjected to "burn-in" processes like most other Audio components. I ordinarily use all my cables as needed, and do not subject any to deliberate burn-in processes, even though I put most other components I have got through those processes. Under such circumstances, the only burn-in which occurs with my cables do so by default through normal use, so the ones I habitually use tend to get all the "burn-in" I ever do, whereas those I do not habitually use simply lie fallow, so to speak, and can do so for years. There are cables I've had for 4-5 years which have only seen less than an hour of use, if that, not because I did not like them, but because I was in the habit of using other cables in the arsenal for setting cans, and "turn" of the neglected cables to be used never seem to come...

It strikes me now that I could be doing something wrong. For one thing, if cables do require some burn-in to eventually sound their best, then it means that only the ones in my collection that get frequent play time have the opportunity to aspire to sound their best...

So am I doing something wrong by not putting my cables through formal "burn-in" processes? I want to know what the best cable "burn-in" best practices are, if there are any such processes. Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm not sure "right" or "wrong" apply here. This is more a "whatever makes you most comfortable & confident" thing.

I burn-in everything audio, right down to NOS tubes and cables. With headphones & electronics I burn-in no less than 150 hrs, and in certain cases (DACs reputed to require especially long burn-in) I might go 2-3X that.

But with small stuff like tubes & cables I do burn-in more casually & for less time. I just burned in my new ForzaAudioWorks HCP Noir cable (my 2nd of these terrific copper cables I'll definitely compare to the Drausk when that arrives). Anyway, I just set it up on my side-system (headphone only) for ~4-5 days, 8-10 hrs/day. I figure it's @50 hrs burned-in now. I think that's more that enough to settle down those copper electrons and get me close to the final sound of the cable.

There's nothing especially scientific about this--but it is empiric, based on my burn-ins of past cable purchases where I heard small but noticeable changes from the cable when brand cold/new vs burned in for 50+ hrs.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #5,373 of 6,459
Okay, I received my S4 8-wire today, and the first question which comes to mind is whether cables also need to be subjected to "burn-in" processes like most other Audio components. I ordinarily use all my cables as needed, and do not subject any to deliberate burn-in processes, even though I put most other components I have got through those processes. Under such circumstances, the only burn-in which occurs with my cables do so by default through normal use, so the ones I habitually use tend to get all the "burn-in" I ever do, whereas those I do not habitually use simply lie fallow, so to speak, and can do so for years. There are cables I've had for 4-5 years which have only seen less than an hour of use, if that, not because I did not like them, but because I was in the habit of using other cables in the arsenal for certainl habitually used cans, and the "turn" of the neglected cables to be used never seem to come...

It strikes me now that I could be doing something wrong. For one thing, if cables do require some burn-in to eventually sound their best, then it means that only the ones in my collection that get frequent play time have the opportunity to aspire to sound their best...

So am I doing something wrong by not putting my cables through formal "burn-in" processes? I want to know what the cable "burn-in" best practices are, if there are any such processes. Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated.
Would love to see a picture if you don't mind sharing.
I am considering a 4-wire S4 for my IEMs....I suppose I would also love to see any 4-wire S4 pics from folks on the forum that have them, if not too much trouble.
I already have two of Trevor's IEM cables (silvergarde 8 wire and fusion 8-wire), but am considering adding to the collection :)

Thanks!

May 26, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #5,374 of 6,459
Most people believe silver cables need 150 hours of burn-in, I find the high-quality cables need less time
Multiple good/very valid points of view here. I tend subscribe to the “cables need 50-100 hours of burn-in” model, and feel personally that I’ve heard notable before/after differences. And, of course, YMMV! (Your mileage may vary)

I’d suggest giving it a try with two different cables (say, copper and silver), depending on what you have available, and see what you think. That should help you form your own view and habits for future purchases.

P.S. This is MUCH trickier for speaker cables- I’ve had to limit burn-in there out of respect for my family (and I’m familiar with the “reverse phase method” 😊).

May 26, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #5,376 of 6,459
I am considering a 4-wire S4 for my IEMs....I suppose I would also love to see any 4-wire S4 pics from folks on the forum that have them, if not too much trouble.
I already have two of Trevor's IEM cables (silvergarde 8 wire and fusion 8-wire), but am considering adding to the collection :)

Thanks!
Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 12.48.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 12.49.29 AM.png

My Silvergarde S4 IEM cable.

May 27, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #5,377 of 6,459

Thanks!
Okay coming up! It is in the "burn-in" cycle now. It has only seen about 12 hours of it, but I think I am already hearing some difference, and wouldn't want to interrupt it as yet. At some point, I shall take the shot and post it, so take heart. :)

May 27, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #5,378 of 6,459
Okay coming up! It is in the "burn-in" cycle now. It has only seen about 12 hours of it, but I think I am already hearing some difference, and wouldn't want to interrupt it as yet. At some point, I shall take the shot and post it, so take heart. :)
What headphone do you have the S4 8-wire connected too?

May 27, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #5,379 of 6,459
What headphone do you have the S4 8-wire connected too?
So far, it has been the Susvara, for these first 12 odd hours of "initiation", but you can bet that it is eventually going to make the usual rounds, i.e. get play time with the He6SE as well, and even with the Audeze LCD-X and LCD-4 as well. I have got some norne audio adapters for Hifiman 3.5mm ==>> Audeze mini XLR termination switching :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

And whiles we are at it, the following tunes from Tigran Hamasyan are among the usual suspects for testing the excavating, penetrating, and resolving powers of the cable and chain of components

There are of course many other testing samples, and this is just the beginning of what promises to be a long interesting and musically eventful ride :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #5,380 of 6,459
So far, it has been the Susvara, for these first 12 odd hours of "initiation", but you can bet that it is eventually going to make the usual rounds, i.e. get play time with the He6SE as well, and even with the Audeze LCD-X and LCD-4 as well. I have got some norne audio adapters for Hifiman 3.5mm ==>> Audeze mini XLR termination switching :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Nice, one cable for all. I really need to get at least one Norne cable. The S4 8-wire sounds like a beast of a cable.

May 27, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #5,381 of 6,459
Nice, one cable for all. I really need to get at least one Norne cable. The S4 8-wire sounds like a beast of a cable.
It is!
Can only recommend it, if your wallet can tske it

May 27, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #5,382 of 6,459
Who would like to recommend their favorite Norne cable for on the go. I am putting together a travel setup with some closed back headphones that will serve as my work/commuting/travel setup and dont want to be sitting around the airport with the Solvine/3SC draped on everything!

hybrid or copper only, sleeved likely...all of the iem stuff is missing from the website, so its hard to tell what each of them is all about. The IEM fusion on the last page is pretty cool looking. I have a note in to Trevor, but just thought i would ask the mob as well!

May 27, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #5,383 of 6,459
Who would like to recommend their favorite Norne cable for on the go. I am putting together a travel setup with some closed back headphones that will serve as my work/commuting/travel setup and dont want to be sitting around the airport with the Solvine/3SC draped on everything!

hybrid or copper only, sleeved likely...all of the iem stuff is missing from the website, so its hard to tell what each of them is all about. The IEM fusion on the last page is pretty cool looking. I have a note in to Trevor, but just thought i would ask the mob as well!

I actually bought a 6' Solvine for that same purpose. Are you not comfortable traveling with your Solvine? I don't know what other cable would be more travel friendly besides maybe a Drausk Lite.

May 27, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #5,384 of 6,459
I actually bought a 6' Solvine for that same purpose. Are you not comfortable traveling with your Solvine? I don't know what other cable would be more travel friendly besides maybe a Drausk Lite.
It would be fine, but I would have to send it in for retermination to the Fostex connectors (and 4.4 pentacon) and if I am going to do that, then I might as well get a new cable. My feeling is that a sleeved cable may take the abuse a little better.

May 28, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #5,385 of 6,459

Hi, I'll love'in! My Fusion II with tia treo and am thinking of getting 1 for my ether C flow. I find the cable to have a nice smooth full-bodied sound, warm with good detail and no harsh highs. Talk to Trevor about it he will set you straight and never upsell you.:L3000::L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back