Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Nov 20, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #4,741 of 6,459
I thought Trevor was sending me my S4 already, but instead it was a demo 17.3awg cable that we had been talking about too. I have no idea if this is what the final product will look like. I don't have my S4 yet of course to compare it, but on some quick initial listening, it sounds great without any obvious faults on initial listen (I have tried some silver coated copper cables that I didn't like much at all).

A9ZGWAm.jpg
For those that prefer the sleeve of the Silvergarde, you can order the 17.3awg fusion also as sleeved cable.

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #4,742 of 6,459
For those that prefer the sleeve of the Silvergarde, you can order the 17.3awg fusion also as sleeved cable.

So far, I'm really liking the sound of this cable. The closest comparison I can make is with my S3 that I use with my HEK SE which I can use with my Susvara with some cheap 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapters I bought on Amazon (so this may not be a fair comparison at all since I do not know the sonic impact of the adapters). All that being said, I do find the detail and imaging to be superior with this new cable. It's cliche to say that a veil is lfited, but that's a lot what it seems like - it's like seeing something through a pane of glass that isn't clean, everything just a bit fuzzier and then once you clean it, everything is just more clearly defined.

The other thing that I really like so far about this cable is the additional body and warmth. Not warmth from rolloff on the top per se. Cymbals seemed to still have the same amount of sparkle (I'm old my my hearing is rolled off anyway). Even though I've really come to enjoy my HEK's and now esp. my Susvara, I originally came from an LCD-4 which obviously has a very different tonal balance than the Hifiman HPs and for my bias, a touch more warmth is welcome and pleasing.

The additional clarity/detail and solidity all add up to better soundstaging, transporting me to a location. Treveor refered to this as the "presence" you get with his higher gauge cables.

I've done a handful of cable comparisons that I've posted in this thread in the past and I have always wondered though if the benefits are due to the cable just sounding a little louder knowing that something louder will sound better (when I do my listening comparisons, I don't adjust the volume at all, I only swap the cable. There are other methodologies I could use to compare (volume match with pink noise, long term listening), but out of practicality/simplicity, I just do the cable swap).

All of this being said and based on what I am hearing so far, I will likely change my S4 orders to the 17.3awg for my Susvara (if this were for my LCD-4, I'm not sure what I would do). Trevor did say the pricing is a bit higher than S4 (I didn't get details yet).

I've done a handful of cable comparisons that I've posted in this thread in the past and I have always wondered though if the benefits are due to the cable just sounding a little louder knowing that something louder will sound better (when I do my listening comparisons, I don't adjust the volume at all, I only swap the cable. There are other methodologies I could use to compare (volume match with pink noise, long term listening), but out of practicality/simplicity, I just do the cable swap).

There is a bit of a question of sleeving. Beauty of course is in the eye of the beholder. I don't really like the aesthetic of these cables with the transparent sleeving...unfortunately, it reminds me of transparent lamp cord (sorry!). One "issue" though with sleeved cables is that you have no way of knowing what cable is inside. I think Trevor said he introduced new sleeves just for S4. Knowing what cable is inside is not a concern if you buy from Trevor directly, but only as a caveat emptor to those who buy used.

Also, when talking cable upgrades, I also always give my caveat, that these changes are relatively small. If you're still sorting out the rest of your audio chain, cables wouldn't be the first thing I would recommend, but it is something to ultimately extract the most out of your system IMO.

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #4,743 of 6,459
So far, I'm really liking the sound of this cable. The closest comparison I can make is with my S3 that I use with my HEK SE which I can use with my Susvara with some cheap 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapters I bought on Amazon (so this may not be a fair comparison at all since I do not know the sonic impact of the adapters). All that being said, I do find the detail and imaging to be superior with this new cable. It's cliche to say that a veil is lfited, but that's a lot what it seems like - it's like seeing something through a pane of glass that isn't clean, everything just a bit fuzzier and then once you clean it, everything is just more clearly defined.

The other thing that I really like so far about this cable is the additional body and warmth. Not warmth from rolloff on the top per se. Cymbals seemed to still have the same amount of sparkle (I'm old my my hearing is rolled off anyway). Even though I've really come to enjoy my HEK's and now esp. my Susvara, I originally came from an LCD-4 which obviously has a very different tonal balance than the Hifiman HPs and for my bias, a touch more warmth is welcome and pleasing.

The additional clarity/detail and solidity all add up to better soundstaging, transporting me to a location. Treveor refered to this as the "presence" you get with his higher gauge cables.

All of this being said and based on what I am hearing so far, I will likely change my S4 orders to the 17.3awg for my Susvara (if this were for my LCD-4, I'm not sure what I would do). Trevor did say the pricing is a bit higher than S4 (I didn't get details yet).

There is a bit of a question of sleeving. Beauty of course is in the eye of the beholder. I don't really like the aesthetic of these cables with the transparent sleeving...unfortunately, it reminds me of transparent lamp cord (sorry!). One "issue" though with sleeved cables is that you have no way of knowing what cable is inside. I think Trevor said he introduced new sleeves just for S4. Knowing what cable is inside is not a concern if you buy from Trevor directly, but only as a caveat emptor to those who buy used.

Also, when talking cable upgrades, I also always give my caveat, that these changes are relatively small. If you're still sorting out the rest of your audio chain, cables wouldn't be the first thing I would recommend, but it is something to ultimately extract the most out of your system IMO.
Wow good to hear. I actually upgraded from s4 order to the fusion based on what Trevor told me. I have the susvara and lcd4 as my backup setup haha. Stax all the way! I did listen on the S4 for a bit, and it was very nice

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #4,744 of 6,459
The other thing that I really like so far about this cable is the additional body and warmth. Not warmth from rolloff on the top per se. Cymbals seemed to still have the same amount of sparkle

That is what I am hoping for when this cable arrives for my HEKse. All the detail and transparency of silver (this new fusion cable has the most silver of any Norne cable except S4 8-wire), but just a touch of added body.

I ordered clear sleeve though as to me, it has a luxurious "bling" factor and I love seeing the wire. The clear look really pops.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #4,745 of 6,459

I personally prefer the sleeved version and will order it that way.
The premium towards the S4 4 wire isn't that big so I'd say it's well Worth it

Nov 21, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #4,746 of 6,459

Wow good to hear. I actually upgraded from s4 order to the fusion based on what Trevor told me. I have the susvara and lcd4 as my backup setup haha. Stax all the way! I did listen on the S4 for a bit, and it was very nice
a little off thread:
if you both have the lcd4 and susvara can i ask if you use the lcd4 much? how close are the level fo details?

i am considering the susvara but not sure it it would be wise to pick up an lcd4 soon too.
i feel the lcd4 gives something a little different but in real usage the susvra would be used 90% of the time

Nov 21, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #4,747 of 6,459
a little off thread:
if you both have the lcd4 and susvara can i ask if you use the lcd4 much? how close are the level fo details?

i am considering the susvara but not sure it it would be wise to pick up an lcd4 soon too.
i feel the lcd4 gives something a little different but in real usage the susvra would be used 90% of the time

I have both, and I'd say this is one of those questions for which the answer would depend on your preferences, not to mention your own audio chain. Details do not seem to be lacking to any significant degree worth mentioning on either of them; it is the manner in which each of them presents the sound field where I find significant differences. I personally prefer to see those differences in presentation as complementary, in so far as they offer me options in flavors for different listening scenarios. I do not see them as exclusive either/or choices, but of course your mileage may vary, and legitimately so, too.

Until very recently, I had the HeKSE, which is what the Susvara replaced. I used to enjoy the LCD-4 more than the HeKSE, but I found myself using the HeKSE more often because it was lighter and easier to move from one spot to another than the LCD-4 was. As I became more used to the HeKSE, it also tended to get more head and play time, and, if am being honest, the HeKSE had all the versatility and capability it required to play that role very well, without making feel me that anything important in the sound-scape was missing. The Susvara could fill that role easily, were it not for its special amp-demands, which make it less conveniently transportable.

To either of these phones, the LCD-4 presents a competing sound signature that is different and interesting enough to deserve its own occasional head/play times, and I find that available variety of options itself to be enthralling. It has made me understand why a significant number of head-fiers opt to own both the Susvara and one of those Abyss Headphones, especially the TC, even though I have never heard one myself.

Nov 21, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #4,748 of 6,459
I have both, and I'd say this is one of those questions for which the answer would depend on your preferences, not to mention your own audio chain. Details do not seem to be lacking to any significant degree worth mentioning on either of them; it is the manner in which each of them presents the sound field where I find significant differences. I personally prefer to see those differences in presentation as complementary, in so far as they offer me options in flavors for different listening scenarios. I do not see them as exclusive either/or choices, but of course your mileage may vary, and legitimately so, too.

Until very recently, I had the HeKSE, which is what the Susvara replaced. I used to enjoy the LCD-4 more than the HeKSE, but I found myself using the HeKSE more often because it was lighter and easier to move from one spot to another than the LCD-4 was. As I became more used to the HeKSE, it also tended to get more head and play time, and, if am being honest, the HeKSE had all the versatility and capability it required to play that role very well, without making feel me that anything important in the sound-scape was missing. The Susvara could fill that role easily, were it not for its special amp-demands, which make it less conveniently transportable.

To either of these phones, the LCD-4 presents a competing sound signature that is different and interesting enough to deserve its own occasional head/play times, and I find that available variety of options itself to be enthralling. It has made me understand why a significant number of head-fiers opt to own both the Susvara and one of those Abyss Headphones, especially the TC, even though I have never heard one myself.
I have the hekse and i find it great and very versatile. I am now looking at upgrading to susvara that i demoed with my new niimbus amp

i also demoed the lcd4. I’m thinking the lcd4 complements the hekse but the susvara surpasses the lcd4 and hence the lcd4 will not be used much as the detailed susvara will easily win (for now)

Nov 21, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #4,749 of 6,459
Gotcha! Makes sense. For some reason I did not realize you had "demoed" the LCD-4. If I had a Niimbus and had to choose between buying either a Susvara or an LCD-4, I'd also probably go for the Susvara. In my case, I had the Lcd-4, prior to the HekSE, and then the Susvara. A Niimbus is, on the other hand, something I can only place on a wishlist for the moment, as opposed to a shopping cart :frowning2:

I have got to "baby-step" my way to a Niimbus, although I am very challenged in the patience department, so the "baby-stepping" is not exactly a fun ride :frowning2:

Nov 21, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #4,750 of 6,459
Gotcha! Makes sense. For some reason I did not realize you had "demoed" the LCD-4. If I had a Niimbus and had to choose between buying either a Susvara or an LCD-4, I'd also probably go for the Susvara. In my case, I had the Lcd-4, prior to the HekSE, and then the Susvara. A Niimbus is, on the other hand, something I can only place on a wishlist for the moment, as opposed to a shopping cart :frowning2:

I have got to "baby-step" my way to a Niimbus, although I am very challenged in the patience department, so the "baby-stepping" is not exactly a fun ride :frowning2:
Thanks. I’ll also send through a pm soon

Nov 21, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #4,751 of 6,459
I thought Trevor was sending me my S4 already, but instead it was a demo 17.3awg cable that we had been talking about too.

Have you had a chance to compare it with Draug 3?
Also, how heavy is this cable? It looks massive and heavy. Is it comfortable to use?

Nov 21, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #4,752 of 6,459
Got an early Christmas gift for myself early this morning. :) Received a FedEx package ffrom Trevor of S4 8 wires headphone cable for my Susvara headphone. Trevor outdid himself again! Even when Trevor gave me couple photos for preview of this cable, still when I open the package and first time see the cable in person that WOW factor is still there. It is just stunning to see the craftsmanship of his work... My poor photo shot doesn't do any justice for his excellent work here. I also attached a photo (white background) made by Trevor here for the reference.

Also not to mention his great customer service that he constant provided me updates on the progress of the cable. It took a little bit extra time to make this one due to the spec and length but I think the waiting is totally worthy it.

I have not had the chance to really spend time on this cable yet so can't really provide any feedback yet. But did try it on for a brief moment this morning with my WA33 Elite amp. My first impression which is still raw is that this cabe brings Susvara to another level (probably some due to my excitement this morning! LOL)! All the things I heard from people describes about Susvara's performance seems to push to another level. The details of the music instruments, sound source and position as well as image are just clearly presented and easily identified when I listened this morning. Solid and well defined base while treble is not bright at all. Still need time to allow this cable to get burn-in but all I can say right now is I am definitely above 100% satisfied with this cable.

Thank you Trevor for making this great cable for me.

IMG_1282.jpegIMG_1281.jpegDSC04915.png

Nov 21, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #4,753 of 6,459
Got an early Christmas gift for myself early this morning. :) Received a FedEx package ffrom Trevor of S4 8 wires headphone cable for my Susvara headphone. Trevor outdid himself again! Even when Trevor gave me couple photos for preview of this cable, still when I open the package and first time see the cable in person that WOW factor is still there. It is just stunning to see the craftsmanship of his work... My poor photo shot doesn't do any justice for his excellent work here. I also attached a photo (white background) made by Trevor here for the reference.

Also not to mention his great customer service that he constant provided me updates on the progress of the cable. It took a little bit extra time to make this one due to the spec and length but I think the waiting is totally worthy it.

I have not had the chance to really spend time on this cable yet so can't really provide any feedback yet. But did try it on for a brief moment this morning with my WA33 Elite amp. My first impression which is still raw is that this cabe brings Susvara to another level (probably some due to my excitement this morning! LOL)! All the things I heard from people describes about Susvara's performance seems to push to another level. The details of the music instruments, sound source and position as well as image are just clearly presented and easily identified when I listened this morning. Solid and well defined base while treble is not bright at all. Still need time to allow this cable to get burn-in but all I can say right now is I am definitely above 100% satisfied with this cable.

Thank you Trevor for making this great cable for me.

IMG_1282.jpegIMG_1281.jpegDSC04915.png

Veery Nice indeed. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Now I know this is most likely a long shot, but if anyone has had the opportunity to listen to and compare this 8-wire S4 with the other yet-to-be-named 17.23 awg Silver/Copper fusion cable, I would be very keen to hear your impressions.

I am trying to determine what the best upgrade path might be, coming from a standard 4 wire S-4.

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #4,754 of 6,459
Since I still listen with the original cables (XLR) on my HE-1000SE, an update would be great, so I can talk to you here. And not just imagining, what should be really different?

Besides I don't know which cable I should look at. I think the price will be around $300. So Draug 3 or a Silvergarde S3Clean or at most (in terms of price) the new Draug 3SC in 5feet.

Whereby the last two, actually, would go beyond the scope of my edition, because the beautiful cable still has to go to Germany and there the value added tax is also due.

Therefore now the question:
Does anybody know, because the black friday is coming closer and closer, if Trevor will participate on such an important day and it will be a little bit cheaper?
Or how was it last year?

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #4,755 of 6,459
Since I still listen with the original cables (XLR) on my HE-1000SE, an update would be great, so I can talk to you here. And not just imagining, what should be really different?

Besides I don't know which cable I should look at. I think the price will be around $300. So Draug 3 or a Silvergarde S3Clean or at most (in terms of price) the new Draug 3SC in 5feet.

Whereby the last two, actually, would go beyond the scope of my edition, because the beautiful cable still has to go to Germany and there the value added tax is also due.

Therefore now the question:
Does anybody know, because the black friday is coming closer and closer, if Trevor will participate on such an important day and it will be a little bit cheaper?
Or how was it last year?
If you're looking for a great entry level cable from norne, there is also the Skraug, this is his most affordable copper-silver fusion cable.(and like nearly all 2020 Releases not listed on the website yet)

This should be in your desired price range, but best to contact trevor for actual pricing.

I know when trevor offered black friday Deals, he usually gave 20% discount.
However I am not sure if he will offer any deals, since even without he gets plenty of orders this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back