Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Jun 4, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #3,721 of 6,452
I can also confirm Draug 3 is very nice; very manageable, flexible and never in the way. Despite how thick it is!

Yes the Draug 3 is a wonderful cable, very suple for its size.

@bimmer100 , I can only imagine how the Einvaldi’s are, listening to Muddy Waters, Folk Singer, vía the Hugo2, Woo WA5, and S3c, and Vérité, the dynamics and micro-detail are some of the best I’ve ever heard, just incredibly good!

Jun 5, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #3,722 of 6,452
@TigzStudio Trevor, any update on my cable’s ETA?

Jun 6, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #3,724 of 6,452
I am going to try a Draugr 3 copper for my new ZMF Eikon. Wanted a different spin. You guys think its a good cord.

Jun 6, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #3,725 of 6,452
I am going to try a Draugr 3 copper for my new ZMF Eikon. Wanted a different spin. You guys think its a good cord.
I have the volsund and silver draug for my auteur

Both work well though i prefer the silver draug. I almost always prefer silver. The silver draug is detailed yet smooth

I think Trevor’s silver cables are always worth considering as they are never dry or sharp/edgy.

YMMV

(Mind you i have a draug 3 on the way as i think that will be a nice match and maybe better suited than the volsund)

Jun 8, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #3,726 of 6,452
Here we are .
Trevor's Silvergarde 3 for my ZMF Eikon, will arrive at my house next monday.
I can't wait to hear it at work. I am ultra confident that it will make my listening superlative.
I want to thank Trevor for his kindness, for all the advice he gave me and for all his support.
I also thank Wildcatsare1, because it is thanks to his advice that I contacted Trevor!
I look forward to having the Silvergarde 3 in my hands and connected to the Eikon

Lu

Jun 9, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #3,728 of 6,452
I have the volsund and silver draug for my auteur

Both work well though i prefer the silver draug. I almost always prefer silver. The silver draug is detailed yet smooth

I think Trevor’s silver cables are always worth considering as they are never dry or sharp/edgy.

YMMV

(Mind you i have a draug 3 on the way as i think that will be a nice match and maybe better suited than the volsund)

I think you are right. Silver is the best of the cable metals. This morning I ordered a S3 C Silvergarde for my Eikons. I like this cord. I already have one for my Senn HD 600 & HD 650s

Jun 9, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #3,729 of 6,452
Hey guys I just received my Norne Silver clear 8 wire cable via 4.4mm connector along with the 4.4mm to 4pin and 4.4mm to SE adapters. And I must say it sounds phenomenal with my Meze Empyrean with the leather pads. With the new 4.4mm balanced I was final able to listen with the Empyrean and Sony NW-WM1Z and it sounds amazing so much detail. But as of right now the best sound I’m hearing with the new Silver cable is with the Oppo 205 > Felix Euforia > Empyreans with the Silver cable really helps with micro detail I felt the Empyrean was lacking in the beginning. Pictures coming soon.

Jun 10, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #3,731 of 6,452
Trevor,

the Silvergarde 3 has just arrived in his new home.
First of all, I want to tell you that it's beautiful.
A high jewelery packaging, a high-class attention to detail, a Wood Splitter that is a unique beauty ... I could go on like this for hours.

I have a day off and I could not resist and I immediately started listening to music.

Details never heard before appeared in my ears.
A bass with a lot of body, deep, control and, in short, real.
The high tones are all present and in their place.
No listening fatigue, no artificial brilliance, no artificial sensation.

The trumpets of Don Cherry, Lester Bowie and Thomas Stanko are here with me, in all their expressive power.

I know and I was expecting it, my headphone system made a leap of impressive quality and realism.

I do not know how to thank you.
I renew to you all the compliments, you are a true artist.

A hug.

Lu

Jun 14, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #3,732 of 6,452
My latest Norne acquisition - Silvergarde S3 for ZMF/Audeze.

n1xiDoN.jpg

sLaSP4P.jpg

Jun 14, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #3,733 of 6,452
My latest Norne acquisition - Silvergarde S3 for ZMF/Audeze.

n1xiDoN.jpg

sLaSP4P.jpg
Freakin awesome! I love that color scheme! Thanks for the great pic!

Jun 14, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #3,734 of 6,452
Jun 15, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #3,735 of 6,452
B.L.U.F.: The newer S3-C had better detail and definition and was a more natural sounding cable than the previous version. However the older S3-C could be more exciting and engaging in specific instances (although that may have been a byproduct of it's specific tuning?). YMMV.

TL;DR version:
I've done comparisons of Norne cables to a bunch of other cables on a couple other occasions, which led me to become a Norne silver convert. But this is my first time (but won't be the last) doing a comparison between Norne cables, in this case two versions of S3-C for my HE1000 V2. One is the previous S3-C version (first photo with the Eidolic connectors on the headphone side) and the other is from the most recent revision that Trevor started making about a month ago or so. At first glance, the cables look pretty much the same with the obvious exception of the connectors (fortunately, that made it much easier to tell them apart). But upon closer examination, the newer cable is a bit thinner. I don't think it quite comes through in the last photo (older on left, newer on right). I did go ahead and measure them with my calipers. The older was about 1.55mm in diameter and the newer one about 1.3mm for whatever that's worth.

I did an quick initial listen comparing these two cables a few weeks ago and my impression back then was that the newer one had better resolution and soundstaging and seemed closer to the stage. I've since change my source setup (was Yggy USB5/A2) so it's now Singxer SU-1 KTE to Holo Spring KTE via I2S -> Violectric V281 -> HEK V2.

I listened to these 7 tracks:
- Schubert Piano Quintet "The Trout" Op 114, fifth movement recorded by Andras Schiff and Hagen Quartet - 44.1/16 FLAC
- Tchaikovsky Symphony no. 6 "Pathetique", 3rd movement recorded by Evegeny Mravinsky and Leningrad Philharmonic - HD Tracks 96/24 FLAC
- The Sidewinder by Lee Morgan on The Sidewinder - 192/24 FLAC from HDTracks
- Comin' Home Baby by Herbie Mann on At the Village Gate - 44.1/16 FLAC
- Space Cowboy by Kacey Musgraces on The Golden Hour - HDTracks 96/24 FLAC
- Get Lucky by Daft Punk on Random Access Memories - HDTracks 88.2/24 FLAC
- Havana by Camila Cabello on Camila - 44.1/16 FLAC

Playback was via Roon, upsampling set to max PCM rate (power of 2), smooth, minimum phase filter (still experimenting with these settings). Holo Spring set to NOS. Pre-gain input on Violectric set to -6db.

I'd say consistently across all tracks, the newer S3-C had better detail and definition. The interesting thing was that the older cable seemed to be voiced a bit differently; Trevor said he had tuned the cable he sent me to be "extremely neutral"; it sounds like he has manufacturing tricks to tune cables (don't know the details). When I first received the new cable I had just tested with the first 2 tracks on my Yggy , i thought the newer cable was voiced more "closer to the stage". But after doing more recent extensive listening (with my Holo Spring), I'd say that's not quite right or at least it sounds different. The older cabled seemed just a touch more forward. On the Trout Quintet, the older cable highlighted the violin a bit more. On Sidewinder, the high hat had a bit more sparkle to them. On several tracks, it had a bit more of that electric, raise-the-hair-on-the-back-of-your-neck (ASMR?) sounds, especially on the tracks with a bit more atmosphere (eg. Comin' Home Baby, Space Cowboy). The sound could be a bit more exciting and was generally more so with the rock/pop tracks rather than the classical and jazz ones. The tradeoff was that it was a bit edgier at times. There could be slight edge to some instruments and to vocal and could sound a little more exciting, but somewhat unnatural, sometimes a bit hyper real (if that makes any sense); the closest analogy I'd make was if you were using a bit too much sharpening on a photograph or using interpolation on video and getting a little bit of that soap opera effect. it could be very enjoyable at times (esp. on more non-acoustic tracks), but not necessarily as natural (interestingly enough this similar to what I felt with my initial comparisons of the Yggy vs. Holo Spring, but it's much more pronounced in the DAC comparison). Halfway through Get Lucky, there are some hand claps; we all know what hand claps sound like, but the newer cable just sounded a bit more natural. In Comin' Home, the flute was more forward and exciting with the old cable, but more natural sounding with the newer. So for me and my tastes, the newer S3-C is a "better" cable because of the better detail and definition, more natural and relaxed compared to the older S3-C. That being said, in the scheme of things, these differences are relatively small (my DAC change made much more of a difference), but you knew that already.

I have a Silvergarde S3 on order for my hifiman, so I'll need to do another comparison when that comes in.

SBRo53W.jpg

RbSZlFx.jpg

K3vJVEd.jpg

k6d7J0J.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back