NorCal - SF Bay Area Feb 27 Meet Impressions
Mar 3, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #61 of 83
Had a great time even though I wasn't able to stay nearly long enough! I was really impressed by the Audio Technica AD2000, but that might have been because it was driven by the Eddie Current Balancing Act. One thing I did notice was generally more impressed with the tube amps I hear over the solid state ones. I tried the SLP Auditor with my K702 which was very detailed and clear but did not engage me as much as with the Decware amps. I guess this means there will be tubes in my future!

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Mar 3, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #63 of 83
My impression of the Beyerdynamic T1:

It's an ok headphone I guess but nothing nearly as special as has been proclaimed by some of the other people around here.

I currently own what I think are pretty good head/earphones - Sony Qualia 010, Grado HP1000/HP2, JH Audio JH13, Audio-Technica AD2000, Stax OII MKI. Of those though, there are only 3 that I'd call "outstanding" - the Qualia, JH13, and OII MKI. The others I'd call above-average at best. I've also previously owned some other "above-average" headphones like the HD800 and Audio-Technica W5000.

Based on my collective headphone experience so far (a much more lengthy list can be viewed in my profile), the T1 seemed no better than "above-average" to me. It didn't really do anything particularly great and in some aspects it downright underwhelmed me.

I heard the T1 amped by both the Luxman P-1 and on my setup by the SPL Auditor, which should theoretically be a good amp for it. And I made sure to play just about every kind of music on the T1, though obviously due to time I did not listen to a full song, only snippets of songs. I played a gamut that ranged from Julia Fischer's Bach Concertos to metal (Megadeth, Symphony X, Beyond Twilight), classic rock (Led Zeppelin, The Eagles), jazz/blues (Anne Bisson, Eva Cassidy, Rebecca Pidgeon, Sonny Clark), electronica (The Crystal Method, The Prodigy), bluegrass (Alison Krauss & Union Station), and others like Robert Plant & Alison Krauss' Raising Sand. Oh and an equipment setup note: the QB-9's balanced output was running into the Auditor's balanced input.

I was really let down by both the bass and treble. The bass didn't have nearly the speed or the depth of my AT AD2K and the treble wasn't nearly as clean, clear, & fast as my Qualia (which I don't think is unreasonable to ask for a $1K headphone). Also disappointing but not as much was the lack of power/body/mid-bass (noticeable with the metal music) and a mid-range that lacked some tactile presence.

Someone here on Head-Fi said the T1 had a similarity to the Grado HP1000 but I'd dissent with that. I can't be more specific until I compare them directly but the two headphones definitely do not sound alike.

Despite my less-than-stellar experience with the T1, I fully intend to buy one. Might as well try it out in my system at home, and who knows, I might even change my opinion of it later. People upgrading from lesser headphones could very well be impressed by it, but I just wasn't. It immediately struck me the way that the HD800 did and still does - good, maybe even great for fans of the lesser models, but nothing really remarkable and at best a different flavor, unable to really compete with higher-end headphones.

The T1 also did not really sound like any other headphone I've heard and it left me trying to think of its closest sonic relative(s) - but I should avoid stating the models that came to mind because I could also be totally off the mark without a direct comparison.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #65 of 83
Great Norcal event as usual. Thanks Al/Voltron for your hard work, which gave the meet a smooth and cozy ambience. After listening to the Uber HD800s in balanced mode for the first time, I did a Jimi Hendrix and poured lighter fluid on my stock K701's. Just kidding but yes the balanced HD800s were that good. They provided a crystal clear sound with a thunderous presence and a soundstage as large as the grand canyon. Well, I might be exaggerating a bit about the soundstage, but yes it was very nice.

Now just as long as Grahame gets the bloopers out of the interview he did with me I'll be able to get some sleep. :wink:

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #66 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What filter mode was used for the test comparisons of the Gamma2 DAC?

The Gamma 2 filter was set at A (Linear phase, slow rolloff). The anti-clipping was set to off....unless anyone played with them during testing....no one mentioned it if they did.

Generally the impressions seemed to be that the Gamma 2 was a little brighter than the DAC 1, so the C filter (Linear phase, brickwall) would seem not to be necessary to provide strong high end.

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #67 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjkdivin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Gamma 2 filter was set at A (Linear phase, slow rolloff). The anti-clipping was set to off....unless anyone played with them during testing....no one mentioned it if they did.

Generally the impressions seemed to be that the Gamma 2 was a little brighter than the DAC 1, so the C filter (Linear phase, brickwall) would seem not to be necessary to provide strong high end.

Thank you very much for your reply!

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #69 of 83
Typically they are not for sale. However, I'm sure that he'd part with them if you made it worth his while.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #70 of 83
First and foremost, major kudos and appreciation for Al/Voltron for making this meet happen, opening up his home, and for turning the whole extended weekend into a nonstop party. I had a great time.

Second, thanks to JP for initiating and organizing the event. You were sorely missed. I hope somehow you'll be able to attend future West Coast meets. We owe you a lot. I'd definitely be willing to organize a raffle or something similar to get you a plane ticket.

Besides the community, the music, and the gear, one of my main purposes here was to expose the HE-5 orthodynamics to as wide an audience as possible. I think this technology may well be the future of our hobby. Already they are a definite contender to build a reasonably priced, but very high-end system around. They're not without flaws, and they're not to everyone's taste, but they definitely deserve our support and encouragement.

A little later, I'll have some gear impressions. But for right now I just wanted to say "thanks"!

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #71 of 83
I really wish I could have made this, the pictures are great. The weather over the pass was pretty crappy Saturday morning and I decided I didn't really want to deal with it at all. I really hope to make the next one though.

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #73 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotta wonder how the T1 sounds with an impedance adapter...

hmmmmmmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back