NorCal 8/8/09 meet impressions
Aug 9, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #46 of 154
I didn't test out amps, so much; but I did try these:

3803585604_ecdb9de1b0_o.jpg

and I was quite impressed.

Aug 9, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #47 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks very much for those impressions of the otherwise not-talked-about-much amp. Have you perhaps ever heard a Woo WA2 and, if so, could you draw any comparisons?

Cheers
X

In my desire to fair to both amps I have not done a side by side comparison and while I have listened to both they were at different times and with different sources. That said my preference would be for the Woo2 over the Sonnet as my overall impression of that amp is more favorable than the Sonnet. I think it presents a wider stage with greater tone and texture and may be more dynamic as well. Previous comments from me regarding the Woo 2 have it as one of my top choices in the $1000 category along with the Woo6.

Aug 9, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #48 of 154
It was great to get back into Headfi after a little break. The Norcal meets are amazing as usual, with lots of stunning gear to listen to. I was so happy to finally plug in the HE90 into an amp and hear that it wasnt injured by my broken ES-1. Hearing them after a year was nice too:p

As usual I fell in love with my HE90's again, and still cant wait to hear them again. But a few other set ups really caught my ear at this meet.

Mikeymad's Marantz -> Woo -> k1000. Something about this rig has some great synergy, because from what I remember it was in the same league as Foo_Me's K1000 and Zanden. Maybe its the real deal 300b's that make the k1000 so open and delightful to listen to. Mikeys K1000 seemed to be nimble on its feet, with near perfect decay and an amazingly layered sound stage. Images seem to come out crystal clear with amazing separation. I'm not a big fan of how the K1K's sit on your head, but WOW this system sounded good. Even my girlfriend commented on how good the K1000's sounded out of Mikey's system.

Voltrons Omega 1. I think after this meet I might be looking to get a pair in the future once I get my ES-1 squared away. The He90 throws a huge massive soundstage on everything you listen to, even if the recording was not meant to sound quite like that. After spending so much time with the HE90 I really do love this sound, and I find that no other headphone can really come close to making such a massive soundstage. The Omega 2's on the other hand, always seemed to bore me a little bit at meets. I'm not sure if that's because other headphones like the HE90 and K1k jump out and impress you, and the omega 2's just don't impress on a quick listen. I always felt as the Omega II's had a lot of down low bass, but were just really blah. Ive heard that after listening to them for a while they grow on you, but they just never did anything for me. I have heard the Omega I's were a little bit of a mix between the HE90 and Omega II, so I was excited to hear my first pair.

And to me, they are everything they are hyped up to be. The Omega I's did not throw the HUGE soundstage that my HE90 does, but it was much closer than the Omega II's. It was the first headphone that Ive listened to that has the same "sound" that I love with my HE90. But lowe and behold, the Staxx definitely hit some low notes better than the HE90. The Omega one, to my ears, is really like a cross between a HE90 and Omega II. It has an amazing soundstage, wonderful tonal balance and really hits the deep notes. You really hear the difference to me down low.

To me, the HE90 is still my favorite headphone. But the Omega really impressed me, and I think it is now my second favorite headphone. Its the second headphone to really "melt" away and just leave me in the music. If I am ever to own another headphone, it will be this one.

Ironbutts reel to reel with my HE90 hooked up. Ive heard his system a bunch of times, but never with my HE90 on it. I thought it sounded amazing with his HE audio Jade, but the HE90 took it to the next level. Ironbutts system sounds really lifelike, for the lack of a better word. Unlike all the other digital front ends, it has a syrupy sweetness that literally sounds as if someone is playing music in front of you. Wish I had the time to set up a reel to reel system.

I did not get to listen to the JH13 which I really wanted to. I guess next time.

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #49 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also I used Donald's Beyer 880 which I really am not a fan of.

Thanks for arranging a great meet JP! I'm curious, what do not like about the DT880? Which do you prefer for similar money and form factor?

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #50 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're talking about the lacewood faced "big" headphone amp, it was built for use at "Paul Stubblebine Mastering". Doc created a lot of the amps used there.

<SNIP>

I spent a lot of time talking to (and learning from) Frank Cooter. Really a fun guy and he didn't disappoint with his latest creations. Just beautiful and fantastic sounding at the same time.

I didn't know it was Frank Cooter I was looking for as I listened to the big amp, and waited and waited for someone to appear at the table. But now that I do, does Frank build for re-sale? And how does one contact him? I know we have a member named cooter on the board, but the profile doesn't sound like this guy.

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #51 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by strungoutt1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was great to get back into Headfi after a little break. The Norcal meets are amazing as usual, with lots of stunning gear to listen to. I was so happy to finally plug in the HE90 into an amp and hear that it wasnt injured by my broken ES-1. Hearing them after a year was nice too:p

Good to hear that the phones were ok and the Omega didn't disappoint.
regular_smile .gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #52 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for arranging a great meet JP! I'm curious, what do not like about the DT880? Which do you prefer for similar money and form factor?

Either senn 600s or 650s maybe grado 225s as a counterpoint. Hey I checked out your web page today awesome speakers!

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #53 of 154
Wow, some nice stuff from Frank there.

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #54 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't know it was Frank Cooter I was looking for as I listened to the big amp, and waited and waited for someone to appear at the table. But now that I do, does Frank build for re-sale? And how does one contact him? I know we have a member named cooter on the board, but the profile doesn't sound like this guy.

Well Frank Cooter is 'FrankCooter'. I am sure he will poke in here. He builds to build, not to sell. He will be publishing in the DYI forums.

Cheers,

Aug 9, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #55 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well Frank Cooter is 'FrankCooter'. I am sure he will poke in here. He builds to build, not to sell. He will be publishing in the DYI forums.

Cheers,

Thanks Mikeymad!

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #56 of 154
Some pics...

All packed up.....
DSC_0996.jpg

All unpacked..... yep it was heavy....
DSC_0997.jpg

Got to love the Plasma Glow of Frank's rig...
DSC_0998.jpg

The Man JP#'s speaking to his subjects....
DSC_1000.jpg

More of of Frank's Rig(s)....
DSC_1001.jpg

Linux and his works....
DSC_1002.jpg

DSC_1026.jpg

strungoutt1 (and guest) thinking that my k1000's were okay... good to see and talk with you guys.....
DSC_1003.jpg

So then Iron_Dreamer lent me a macro lens... so I played around a bit... sorry if I got distracted...

Top of an RCA tube from the 20s - on Frank's rig
DSC_1006.jpg

Couple picks of Ironbutt's R2R rig.....
DSC_1008.jpg

DSC_1009.jpg

Okay one more glowing pic... I wish it was dark in there....
DSC_1010.jpg

AMB mini3 and y1 DACs.... Took a listen with my Etymotic ER-4s and did very well.... maybe found a work rig... just have to buy it all and build it now...
DSC_1011.jpg

DSC_1012.jpg

DSC_1013.jpg

Two Shots of the BHSE.... sounded good on my O2's.....
DSC_1014.jpg

DSC_1015.jpg

Couple shots of the Woo WES... sounded very nice (and improved) over listening to it at CanJam... Very clean sound... and pushed my O2's to any level I wanted...
DSC_1016.jpg

DSC_1017.jpg

DSC_1018.jpg

FallenAngel's blue rings, and the inside of a Melos....... (didn't get a chance to listen)...
DSC_1019.jpg

DSC_1020.jpg

DSC_1021.jpg

A little DNA... again sorry I didn't get to hear it....
DSC_1023.jpg

On the way home.....
DSC_1052.jpg

Couple of things still to write up.....

Cheers,

Aug 9, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #58 of 154
Cheers Ironbut...

You should see the full res image. You would think someone was attacking it with a knife.... :0

Sure does sound pretty though... thx...

Cheers,

Aug 9, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #59 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

..because it's 10.2lbs of Woo Audio goodness!
dsc0641xkk.jpg

Was this WES the "final version" with the extra 12AU7 tube (where?) or the "prototype" we heard at Canjam? I also see the black AmpOhm metalized polypropylene capacitors inside, whereas the final version is supposed to come with Auricaps stock, with VCap upgrade option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back