NORAH JONES: Feels like Home
Feb 15, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #61 of 78
Yes the recording quality varies between each of the tracks. There is also dynamics range compression of sorts which messes up her voice.

Feb 15, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #63 of 78
Same here. I prefer her first album. But then again, I'm not a country music fan. perhaps folks who dig both jazz and country can comment on what they think.

Feb 15, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #64 of 78
It's been growing on me, as the first one did. We'll see if any of use can absorb it before a possible media onslaught. I barely made it last time. Everyone give it some time. She didn't ask the biz to ***** up the last album. Remember feeling the same when Tracy Chapman's debut album came out and you knew every critic was dying to pounce on album #2. Like it was her fault she was popular and deserved to be knocked back down a peg.

And it is brave to move in this direction. No doubt some will be turned off by the more organic country dabblings, but she could have played a safer Diana Krall, and potentially sold more records.

Feb 15, 2004 at 7:29 AM Post #65 of 78
I bought it a couple days ago. It's essentially more of the same, although as some have reported, not quite as jazzy. It's a pleasant listen, and that's basically it. Pretty much all mid tempo ballads, nice singing, nice lean arrangements, but nothing special.

Feb 15, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #67 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by kentamcolin
Thumbs down here;

What really sucks is the recording quality. Try listening to track 2 "What Am I to You?". It's AWFUL. Her voice is so distorted, was anyone paying attention here?? I switched headphones just to make sure it wasn't the K1000's, but the same thing on the Senn's.

What, AGAIN?! You mean as distored as Come Away With Me, where I always thought the Senns were broken until I tried the Etys and there was the same high-end distortion whenever she raised her voice? That's really a shame, one would think that the smaller companys would take more care with their releases and had no need to put out bloated & overly compressed crap, especially when it comes to music that actually has true dynamics...
mad.gif
frown.gif

Feb 16, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #69 of 78
Anyone else go through hell trying to rip this CD to their HD? I mean it took be 3 hrs going through about 10 computer crashes to finally get it to work.

If this is really because of copy protection, I'm REALLY MAD. The ones who actually BUY THE CD in the stores are the ones made to suffer.

Feb 16, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #70 of 78
Oliver,

Quote:

Originally posted by Oliver
smily_headphones1.gif

What, AGAIN?! You mean as distored as Come Away With Me, where I always thought the Senns were broken until I tried the Etys and there was the same high-end distortion whenever she raised her voice? That's really a shame, one would think that the smaller companys would take more care with their releases and had no need to put out bloated & overly compressed crap, especially when it comes to music that actually has true dynamics...
mad.gif
frown.gif

I too thought my Senns were broken when listening to "Come Away With Me", but this doesn't happen when I listen to "Feels Like Home", which I am slowly beginning to enjoy nearly as much as I enjoyed the first one. Yes, her voice does sound compressed on a few tracks. Bummer.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Feb 16, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #71 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by Rendition
Anyone else go through hell trying to rip this CD to their HD? I mean it took be 3 hrs going through about 10 computer crashes to finally get it to work.

If this is really because of copy protection, I'm REALLY MAD. The ones who actually BUY THE CD in the stores are the ones made to suffer.

Use EAC. Also see my thread about it here

Feb 16, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #72 of 78
To be honest, as I listen to this cd more and more, I'm beginning to like it a lot more. At first I was kinda like, "huh... not too great," but now that I've actually taken some time to listen to it several times carefully, I'm beginning to like it. I agree that it's a bit less jazzy than the first album and the addition of country kinda shocked me, but it's a good album.

Feb 19, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #74 of 78
yes... it seems to grow on you. But some of my favorite albums grew on me and I didn't really like them on first listen.

As for the CD protection thing. I hope it doesn't affect my ability to convert Norah's new ablum into MD ATRAC format on my PC. I should be doing that soon.

I'm usually sympathetic towards musicians who got short changed of their royality payments when people bootleg their CDs. But of late, the pompous manner in which the record companie go about preventing such abuses is beginning to get to me. Some of my newer CD do not behave very well on my PC and that ticks me off. What next? do we have to kow tow and pay homage to their executives before popping a CD into our computers?!
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back