NORAH JONES: Feels like Home
Feb 10, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #46 of 78
Just listened to it on Rhapsody. I like it so far. Have to give it about 20 more listens to see how it really settles in, however. I'm not sure I'm really big on the guest performer things. It crossed my mind that it might be a little sophomore album protection mechanism. (and probably not needed)

Feb 10, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #47 of 78
Listening off Amazon's 132 kb/s Real stream. Nice departure. Heard it was countrified and was hoping for a Hem's Rabbit Songs-like CD (incredible album by the way), and while this isn't that great, it's good (maybe "very", will tell after some more listens) and certainly better than what a post "Come Away With Me" album could have been.

Feb 11, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #48 of 78
Just picked this up today.

It won't play on my 963SA. Flashes "Reading" for 10 seconds or so, and then ejects the disc.

Plays fine a couple other CD players.

Anyone else have this problem?

Feb 11, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #49 of 78
Did you try washing the disk? I had a new Clannad disk, even after washing, and it still would not play on my 963SA, but it was fine on the 222ES.
confused.gif

Feb 11, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #51 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
Did you try washing the disk? I had a new Clannad disk, even after washing, and it still would not play on my 963SA, but it was fine on the 222ES.
confused.gif

It is amazing how my Sony and Denon CD players will play anything that other machines have problems with.

If you are set on playing this CD using your 963SA, one thing that you might try is to burn a copy on CD-R with your computer. The copy might play without any problems.

280smile.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 8:22 AM Post #52 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by Snow
Just picked this up today.

It won't play on my 963SA. Flashes "Reading" for 10 seconds or so, and then ejects the disc.

Plays fine a couple other CD players.

Anyone else have this problem?

I'm listening to Norah's "Feels Like Home" on my 963SA as I type this. Didn't have any problems with reading the disc.

Feb 12, 2004 at 12:11 PM Post #55 of 78
I've heard both albums for the first time within a couple of weeks, but I certainly like the first album better. It could very well have something to do with my preferring jazz much more than country.

Feb 12, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #56 of 78
I too like Norah's first album a lot. I have heard a few bits of her latest album but I am not a huge fun of it yet. The first time I heard Norah's first album I was hooked.
A few reviewer's have criticized Norah's latest album because she allowed to many people to influence her and share the spot light making it less about Norah and more about everyone. I think there are some good singles on the album.

Feb 13, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #57 of 78
Hello everyone,

Yeah. I just got her new CD "Feels Like Home". I think "come Away With Me" is musically slightly better, but this new CD sure seems technically superior to the first one. Much better recorded.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Feb 13, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #58 of 78
You can hear the news songs on "Feels Like Home" at VH1:

http://tinyurl.com/2q47t

I'm listening to the album as I type. Several good songs. To me, the best is "What Am I To You". Really nice.

Several bad places in the album (may just be my copy) when listening with headphones. One ( the worst on my copy) is the hiss on the beginning of track 12, "The Prettiest Thing".

Overall, a good album. Not as good as "Come Away With Me", but what is? The DVD from New Orleans -House of Blues- is really great.

Feb 13, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #59 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by Oldandslow
To me, the best is "What Am I To You".

Funny part about your choice is that song is from "Come Away With Me" Japanese version. It's same lyrics but different music and tempo.

Feb 15, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #60 of 78
Thumbs down here;

I love her first album, so much I bought it on 180g vinyl as well. I've got "Feels Like Home" in front of me now. I must say it's a disappointment. I haven't listened to it all yet, got a bunch of cd's in the mail. What I've heard so far (first 5 tracks) is sort of run of the mill at best. What really sucks is the recording quality. Try listening to track 2 "What Am I to You?". It's AWFUL. Her voice is so distorted, was anyone paying attention here?? I switched headphones just to make sure it wasn't the K1000's, but the same thing on the Senn's. I also agree that the jazzy nature of the first album is gone. Now it seems to be more folk, which I'm not a big fan of. I first heard "Come Away With Me" in a Borders Books and after listening to a few seconds of several tracks I knew I had to have it. I was not disappointed. After hearing this, I wish I'd waited to hear it first, I would have taken a pass. I think if she had taken a risk and been adventurous it would have paid off big time. This one is way to far on the safe side of the line. Blue Note will make money on it for sure, but at a long term expense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back