NORAH JONES: Feels like Home
Jan 19, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #17 of 78
Lo! I remember that article! Well, I'm still buying her music no matter which format; it's about the music (note to self: must remind myself of that in this insane obsession)...

Jan 19, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #18 of 78
Oh yes, I will certainly still buy it, but I do wish they would offer a choice in format.
confused.gif

Jan 20, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #21 of 78
I won't get it before you tell me the recording is not as bad as on "Come away with me". I would also greatly prefer a hybrid SACD. Let's write in to Blue Note!
mad.gif

Jan 20, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #22 of 78
I've heard the Peter Malick Group album. I would only buy it if you are a completist. Its not bad so much as it is average. There are only one or two songs where Norah has a chance to shine at all.

Jan 20, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #23 of 78
I am going to hold off on this one until I hear it. I did not like Nora Jones’ "Come away with me" cd. I did hear her DVD “Live in New Orleans” at a local audio vender and really like it and bought it right away. I hope that she puts out some more good stuff.
280smile.gif

Jan 20, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #24 of 78
I love Norah Jones CD, and have it also in SACD. But I have a question. Has anyone heard this strange sound in the third track ("Cold cold heart), a sound like of a train, not a horn but like the noise of the metal wheels on the railroad tracks, something like that... it shows up at least twice. Or is that the effect of some instruments they used?

Jan 21, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #26 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by NetRunner
Sorry, I fail to notice anything odd about that track.. Just lots of guitar string sounds.. But you do hear it on the cd too?

Yes, on both. Don't have the disks with me right now (am at work, but don't tell my boss), once back home I'll listen to the track and will indicate the exact times into the track where these sounds I refer to appear.

Jan 21, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #27 of 78
Ok according to the timer in my player, here's the approximate windows of time, in minute:seconds, when this strange noise like a train or subway in track 3 of Norah Jones album appears (both CD and SACD):

1) 1:41 - 1:50
2) 1:55 - 1:59
3) 2:08 - 2:09
4) 2:12 - 2:19

3) and 4) are the loudest and easiest to notice, actually at 2 minutes 8 seconds I would say it's the loudest. 1 and 2 have much lower volume. I don't think that's instruments in the piece, though at the end of the piece there seems to be some plucking of electric guitar strings sounding similar. In the points in time above, it sounds to me quite disconnected from the music, like a subway or train far away in the background. Thoughts?

Jan 21, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #28 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by Thump
I've heard the Peter Malick Group album. I would only buy it if you are a completist. Its not bad so much as it is average. There are only one or two songs where Norah has a chance to shine at all.

I agree completely (no pun intended). Her own CD is much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back