Nora Jones
Apr 2, 2004 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Juergen

100+ Head-Fier
I was listening to 'Don't Know Why' on Norah Jones 'Come Away With Me'. At around 1:13 into the song I can hear a ringing when she sings the word 'on' during "you'll be on my mind". It sounds as if the recording level was too high and clipping or some sort of distortion occured. The funny thing is that I can only hear it at a moderate volume. I decided to turn it up a little to see if I could get any more detail. I can't hear it then. I have duplicated this on a different cdp so it has to be the cd. Can anyone else hear this? Perhaps its some chance combination of the background vocal and Norah's? Perhaps I'm just crazy
rolleyes.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:47 AM Post #3 of 13
I don't have the SACD/CD with me at this moment (I left it at work) but the general consensus was this is not a good recording. So much for award winning album... Although it is a bit distracting with some flaws, I like her songs.

I know it will be difficult, but try to listen to the MUSIC, not the SOUND
frown.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 13
I really don't understand what the people mastering her CD and herself is thinking. A great album with one of the worest modern production ever! To make it worse, the follow up is just as bad!!

Apr 2, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

A great album with one of the worest modern production ever!

Well flaws are bad for sure. But the albums is not one of the worst modern productions. .

Clipping is a fault by the sound rec. engineer most probably.

The mixing and EQing are very carefully done if you ask me. So are the overdubs.

Apr 2, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 13
The inner groove distortion on the vinyl release of this recording is horrific and it costs $35.00 to boot.

Apr 3, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by marios_mar
Well flaws are bad for sure. But the albums is not one of the worst modern productions. .

Clipping is a fault by the sound rec. engineer most probably.

The mixing and EQing are very carefully done if you ask me. So are the overdubs.

Possibly, I tend to think the mixing and EQing caused the clipping and not the rec engineer. The album isn't recorded badly, just the terrible clipping.

Apr 3, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #13 of 13
Its due the the engineer / engineers assistant to set the levels going to tape, thats of course if thats where the problem lies. It could be that Norah may have sang louder whilst recording than she did when they tested the levels, or it could be the fact that that was her best performance so despite the clipping they used that take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back