Noontec Zoro
Jun 29, 2012 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 160

Tyll Hertsens

Garmentus Vulgaris & Headphoneus Supremus
Member of the Trade: Innerfidelity
Yeah, me neither, never heard of them.

Then some distributor in New Jersey contacts me and says I should hear them.

"They're like the Beats Solo HD but better!"

Yeah right.  Using those headphones as a reference sure gets me excited ... not.

Then they show up. Look a LOT like Solos. Sound and measure like pure gold though, baby!

Woot!  This is a seriously good headphone.

They're available here at Amazon.

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 160
Quote:
I had actually heard about them before :p , though, I didn't try them.Which headphones would you compare these to? What's their sound-signature?

Um ... well I didn't compare them to any headphone in particular.  I'm pretty familiar with the way many headphones sound.

Sound signature?  Straight down the middle. A little trouble in the treble ... just missing some stuff.

But very well behaved.  These are what the Solo should have been.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #4 of 160
They're on sale right now from priceplunge for $58+$5 SH...   I bought these from Amazon a few days ago and I must say after 3 hours (no breaking in yet), they do sound very controlled and very clear.   Not as clean as my HD650's but for being very portable, these are great.

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 160
A hearty recco from Tyll.. a balanced, neutral sound that's portable-player friendly.. and that massive Amazon discount (thanks for the tip, deegee!) makes it a little tough to pass up..

Ordered (for the wife)!  Sadly, the silver wasn't available.. but beggars can't be choosers, I guess... the black will do just fine.

Will report back on how these sound.

Jul 25, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 160
Quote:
Look a LOT like Solos.

Hehe yeah, you should see some of their earlier models:  http://s.dealextreme.com/search/zoro.html?category=106

They weren't at CES back in January so they didn't get a lot of press coverage (if any).  The earlier models popped up on my radar around March/April or so, and it's been kind of a soft launch since then.  Didn't try them though because OMG they looked so much like Solos that I had no reason to expect anything significantly better.  Bet you were thinking the same thing when you first saw 'em right?

I hope they're ready with some decent inventory lying around.  A good recommendation from you tends to - I don't know - make sales shoot through the roof.  I mean, look what happened to the Monoprice cans! 
smile.gif

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 160
Got them today (thanks, Amazon Prime!).  Build quality and looks are really great.. yes, they're mainstream friendly.. but still, it's understated and clean.  Also, they're very very comfortable for an on ear.  Light pressure, the pads are above average quality.  Nothing offensive, but not Stax O2 pads either 
tongue_smile.gif
.  I only listended to them briefly but I was very impressed with the sound.  Clean, clear, dynamic, and impressively balanced.  No fart canon bass or shrill, sugar coated treble to speak/hear of, whatsoever.  I can see why Tyll would have liked these.. great recco again, bud.. I'm enjoying them.  For the $50 I paid for them.. they're a fantastic value.. even at $100, I'd say they're highly deserving of a purchase by audiophiles looking for something more fashionable with a sound that won't prompt the gas face.

I'll let these baby's marinate for a bit.. then surprise the wife...

only to steal them back for some extended listening on the desktop amp.  muwahahaha.

tongue_smile.gif

More impressions & pictures coming..

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 160
I ended up ordering these from a UK based ebay store front for about $80 shipped, so will post some impressions soon. Fortunately for me I own the M80 so will be able to offer a comparison between the two headphone as well as swap out the default cable for the M80 iphone cable for commuting.

I look forward to hearing these and hope I haven't set my expectations to high.

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #13 of 160
Quote:
I ended up ordering these from a UK based ebay store front for about $80 shipped, so will post some impressions soon. Fortunately for me I own the M80 so will be able to offer a comparison between the two headphone as well as swap out the default cable for the M80 iphone cable for commuting.

I look forward to hearing these and hope I haven't set my expectations to high.

You will very much want to swap the stock cable with an M-80 cable. You will see what I mean when you receive your pair :wink:  It was posted earlier in this thread, I get it now!

Otherwise, it's the only flaw I initially have experienced with the Zoro's. I'm only on my second day with these!. So far they have really impressed me, a very linear performance/presentation from the bottom up to the mids, 20Hz-2Khz, the highs comes in very clear, not too much and neither lacking IMO.
I find it to be a great portable headphone for just $$50-100 street price. My reference in a similar category are the CAL's, V-80 and later on a pair of JVC S500 will join.

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #14 of 160
I will be interested in your S500 comparison as I was considering those as well but held back because I am worried the bass would be to much.

BTW if your interesting on trying something available in main stream stores take a look at the Monster NCredible Nergy IEM. I haven't been able to get many takers yet but I really think that IEM offers something special for only $60 and the B&M stores carrying them usually offer hassle free returns so they are almost risk free. They need 1 night of burnin or heavy use for the mids to reach their potential but otherwise they have a very nice bass level and unbelievably good treble for their price.

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #15 of 160
I follow you related to your concern with the S500 and I will in due time make my own judgement regarding these.  The bass presentation on the Zoro's are not lacking. Compared to the CAL's the amount or quantity may be in the same vicinity, but I need to listen to them both right after each other to determine this.  What the Zoro's expresses to my ears without doing to much a/b are a much tighter bass presentation and also very well extended.
Just as with the highs, not too much and certainly not lacking. I guess it means they sound very balanced!  Maybe the CAL's could reach this level in the bass department as well with some internal damping of the housing, but that's a different story! 

Thanks for the Monster hint! I may have to check what my local store offers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back