'noodle' dac (ebay special)
Feb 10, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #151 of 180
Putting together this dac from ebay, done all mods etc. but did not get a transformer with it. What size/rating do I need (uk voltage)? Any links would be helpful, thanks in advance

Feb 10, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #152 of 180
which mods did you do?

I lost track and never really settled on any magic setup, myself. I have a half-disassembled board but there was so much to read thru to find the 'final' config that everyone liked - I kinda gave up and moved on
wink.gif

if you are using the onboard opamp, you need 5, 12, -12v. if you don't use the opamp and are powering only the dac, you only need 5v.

I was planning on bypassing the opamp (just tapping into the dac's - and - outputs for the l,r) and supplying the rest, myself. in that case I'd only need 5v for that.

Feb 10, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #153 of 180
i am using only 5V to power the DAC as I skipped out the opamp stage and it sounds great.

I'm actually just using an unregulated 300ma 5V phone charger which then gets cleaned up by a CRC filter, a few caps, and a 5V regulator.

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #154 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which mods did you do?

I lost track and never really settled on any magic setup, myself. I have a half-disassembled board but there was so much to read thru to find the 'final' config that everyone liked - I kinda gave up and moved on
wink.gif

if you are using the onboard opamp, you need 5, 12, -12v. if you don't use the opamp and are powering only the dac, you only need 5v.

I was planning on bypassing the opamp (just tapping into the dac's - and - outputs for the l,r) and supplying the rest, myself. in that case I'd only need 5v for that.

thanks bud, only done bypass mod so far but I have few more planned
wink.gif

Is this the transformer i will need? Nuvotem | Transformers | Transformers | Toroid Transformers | Toroidal Mini Open Style 115-230Vac Primary 1.6VA to 7VA

Feb 11, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #155 of 180
anyone? I cannot find this infomation anywhere

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #156 of 180
DSCF1571.jpg
[/url]

Test fit, dac/psu still need recapping, just need to know what transformer I need............................

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #158 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you perhaps try doing a search of this thread for starters?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/search.php?searchid=8188344

Also, on the previous page of this thread, in post 143 is a link to diyaudio which also might be a great place to get the info you seek. As well as asking the seller that you bought this from.

I don't own one of these BTW.

thanks bud

Feb 22, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #159 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just received my 'noodle' DAC. I got it without the transformer. Does anyone have a Mouser part number for a good one to power this? I have read the entire thread more than once and I don't believe one was listed. I'm going to run with the opamp (Adamus' pick), at least to start. Thanks.

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #160 of 180
I havent measured mine, but i guess a 12v toroid is what you want. doubt you would need anymore than 20va either. you using the powersupply board?

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #161 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you using the powersupply board?

Yes, I just want to get it up and running first. Then I'll start playing with modifications.
smile.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #164 of 180
Just got one of these, and i have to say, boy, the quality. Where is it?!

Pin 2 is lifted and bent over to pin 3 on the dac. Easy to fix, but, gives one the impression that these weren't inspected at all.

I don't get what people are doing to remove the opamp stage entirely - i mean, given that the output of the DAC is differential (aka balanced).

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #165 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got one of these, and i have to say, boy, the quality. Where is it?!

Pin 2 is lifted and bent over to pin 3 on the dac. Easy to fix, but, gives one the impression that these weren't inspected at all.

I don't get what people are doing to remove the opamp stage entirely - i mean, given that the output of the DAC is differential (aka balanced).

Some tweaks really improve this DAC. Have you seen this thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back