'noodle' dac (ebay special)
Sep 2, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #46 of 180
Finally got round to finishing it. I put the transformer in a separate box.

dac_1.jpg

On my desk beneath my desktop Starving Student

dac_2.jpg

Sounds pretty good. I swapped the op-amp for a LM4562NA and it sounds nice and detailed.

Sep 2, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #47 of 180
sound much better than my aliendac (unfair to compare though, alien is portable, self powered etc - the two obbligato caps i used are bigger than the alien).

I use an opa2107 and obbligatos, very refined.

Sep 2, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #48 of 180
looks very nice. What is that pot? Does that control the analogue out volume?

I will be building a starving student and have also just purchased one of these DACs. I also have some spare LME49860 opamps laying around that will hopefully sound nice.

Just got my HD 580 cans as well and they even sound quite nice directly through onboard sound....I'm stoked!

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #53 of 180
yes it is. start building. IT may take a while though, i still havent ordered my transoformer. its going in another hifi2000 case (very cheap for us europeans!)

Sep 5, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #55 of 180
i have this DAC and am waiting on an enclosure, toslink cable, and a few other tidbits to get it connected up. I have a spare LM4562 that I will be replacing the opamp with and will be removing all the aforementioned caps.

However, I don't know which coupling caps to go for. I looked at the obbligatos but they are quite expensive. Can anyone make some more affordable recommendations?

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #56 of 180
wimas are fine. more punchy then the obbligatos (which are more of a smoking jacket and cigar type of sound).

I have a few if interested.

You could try clairtycaps (british make). have a look round hifi collective. You dont need anything bigger than 2uf as you will almost certinaly be showing this a high impedance output (eg a 50k volume pot).

Sep 6, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #58 of 180
you need over 1uf, those your have are 0.1 and you will likely see some bass roll off.

The mks4's are ok, but the mkps are better imo.

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #60 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you need over 1uf

I used 0.47uF Mundorf MCaps and don't notice any bass roll-off with my Starving Student.

Is 0.47uF too low for a 50k pot? As f = 1 / 2 x Pi x C x R that gives 6.77Hz (I think) I haven't listened extensively through my speaker amp which has an input impedance of 22k (so f would be 15.4Hz) but again didn't really notice any lack of low bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back