noob with headset questions for PS4
Apr 7, 2014 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MightySam06

New Head-Fier
I copied this from the recommendations forum.  I hope that is OK, not sure how many gamers frequent that area, as I know most are probably here.  Anyway, thanks for any help.

-----------

I 'm looking for some recommendations on a fairly high-end set of cans for my PS4.  Up to this point, and this may seem sad to others, but the best set I've had/listened to were the A50's, so I'm looking for something that sound just as good or better.  To make a long story short, I went through two sets of A50's that were faulty so I'm flat out done with those, therefor I'm back in the market for a decent headset.  Again,  I want something that rivals the A50's in terms of sound quality and deep bass if not better.  I do like my bass.   

From what I've read it seems a lot of folks are using some sort of mixamp to power their headset and give that headset the virtual surround sound that the cans otherwise do not have, correct?  Also that mixamp can control the game sound or voice sound, which otherwise you wouldn't have, correct?  I definitely want chat/mic capability.  I was looking at the new Audio-Technica ATH-AG1's but they are currently back ordered.  Apparently they are fully compatible with the PS4 by plugging in the 3.5mm cable into the controller.  Is there any sound degradation by using this method?  Also, if i wanted VSS I'd want a mixamp too, correct? 

I'd like to keep my budget under $400.  I was thinking about just picking up the A40's with mixamp, but I'm really wanting some higher end sound, if possible for under $400. I see a lot of guys have a Sennheiser setup along with a mixamp that they're happy with.  I'm willing to try out something similar or better if the budget permits. 

Also, I have a pretty decent pioneer AVR.  I've seen some people plug into an AVR but there is no chat functionality with that config and I would not have any VSS or I would by selecting a preset?  Sorry as I have a ton of questions.  Just want the best possible setup and sound as I'm sure we all do. 

Thanks a ton for any answers and recommendations. 

Apr 8, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 4
Heres one Important tip:

DO NOT; Spend $400 on a headset and simply plug it into the controller...

Plugging your headset into the PS4 controller is the worst possible thing you can ever do in life...

Yes Im over-exaggerating a bit..but sadly its true. The sound quality you get from plugging into the controller is absolutely horrible on every level. DONT do it.

Been there, done that..wont go back ever.

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #3 of 4
Apparently they are fully compatible with the PS4 by plugging in the 3.5mm cable into the controller.  Is there any sound degradation by using this method?

Actually, yes, there would be quite a lot of sound degredation. In order to get audio out of your controller, the PS4 is going to have to transmit it through a wireless connection (I think it's Blue Tooth), and the bandwidth limitation is going to limit the sound quality.

If you want a pair of headphones for any console, your want to get the audio that would otherwise be sent to the speakers. I am not familiar with the mixers you mention, but it makes sense that you would mix a set of surround sound signals down to two channels for your ear holes. If PS4 games have headphone settings, you could probably skip the mixer.

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 4
I appreciate the responses guys.  I spent half my day yesterday reading these forums and have learned quite a bit.  I'll probably pull the trigger on the X1's today and use a mixamp.  I figured plugging a set of cans into my controller would degrade the sound.  Thanks again for the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back