[NOOB] Thinking about getting a new 2.1 set-up
Feb 8, 2011 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Jo0b4k4

New Head-Fier
So I'm thinking of taking a big step and upgrading my 2.1 set up right now which is a Logitech R-20. I know a DIY set-up with an amp is the best path, but I'm most likely not in the budget and market for it yet.

So I know the general recommendations are
A2
A5
M-Audio AV30/40
Swan M10
Klispch PM

Are there any more out there? Also I found this set of used AV40s on craigslist. It looks kinda sketch, but since I live near the area I figured I might go check it out. What do you guys think?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ele/2199189937.html

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 13
I'm in the same boat.

I'm thinking about the A5s or Swans. The new Swan M50 is a step up from the M10. The new H series, like the H5 are worth a look, if they are ever available. This forum also recommends the Swan D1080Mkll08, which looks to complete with the A5 for about $125-150 less.

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
So I'm thinking of taking a big step and upgrading my 2.1 set up right now which is a Logitech R-20. I know a DIY set-up with an amp is the best path, but I'm most likely not in the budget and market for it yet.

I'd like to put by the idea of a "2" set up. In fact a second hand "2" set up, an integrated amplifier and a pair of bookshelf speakers.

For similar money you can have really very much better sound quality, most likely, than a new 2.1 set up. I don't wish to comment on the 2.1 set ups you have mentioned but there are often large compromises in sound quality in the general design of 2.1 set ups. The biggest problem being that the sub-woofer is often not really a sub-woofer at all but just a mono bass unit, which would be okay, but for the fact that the split in the signal happens far too high up in the sonic spectrum.

A good pair of bookshelf speakers allied to a good solid state integrated amp all bought second-hand will produce, most likely, a far better sound quality than either these 2.1 set ups or the "active" speakers you also see at the budget end of the market.

Buying second-hand is also environmentally smart because you haven't created the demand for yet another amp and speakers to be manufactured when we already have so many very good ones ready made.

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #4 of 13
True you will get more for your money with a second hand amp and speakers, quite alot more sound quality for the money , out of the one's you listed the 1's to consider are the swan's and audio engine a5.

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Hmm I'll do some more research and keep my eyes peeled on craigslist then. Thanks alot for your reply patrick!

If you see anything please do post here for questions.

I would love to see more discussion of using second-hand stereo amps and speakers for computer audio because I think that very often it is the best way to go.

For nearfield listening the bookshelf speakers which were made in truly vast numbers throughout the past decades are often ideal.

No matter what speakers you get positioning is very important.

When listening in nearfield you must listen on axis. Even a small amount off-axis greatly reduces sound quality.

No matter what speakers you use it is best to get them up off the desk. A pile of books for each speaker can work very well. I've seen people use all kinds of things.

Best of luck :)

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Quote:
Hmm I'll do some more research and keep my eyes peeled on craigslist then. Thanks alot for your reply patrick!

I would love to see more discussion of using second-hand stereo amps and speakers for computer audio because I think that very often it is the best way to go.

Yep i got a alesis ra300 amp for £55, theres some bargins to be had with second hand amp and speaker.

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 13
What are you looking for?, amp & speakers , you never mentioned your budget, the sony strdh100 is only £100 brand new 100watts per channel it's a good buy, the alesis ra300 & ra500 there around £150 - 200 brand new also good buys also theres the samson servo for around that price, the Jbl control 1 pro are great little speakers they pump out alot of sound for such little speakers.

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #11 of 13
What sound do you like fun & bassy , netrual?? , how big do you need the speakers to be, little bookshelfs or massive floor standarders?, craigslists is a good place to search and googles product also works well but your not going to get anywhere not knowing what your looking for.

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #12 of 13
My music collection runs from Classical to Rap to Rock to EDM. So fun and bassy should be about right. I'd like some decent size bookshelfs as of now, I have this shelf above my LCD monitor where I can fit 8-9" high speakers so that's what I have to work with.

I doubt I have many options now, with the limited space I have. I have no more desk space to add on anything else.
Would I really need a new sound card as well? I'm currently running on my on board 8channel audio.

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #13 of 13
Cerwin vega's are excellent for fun and bassy but i doubt they would fit in that space, depends on how good the 8channel card is if it's a standard built in to the motherboard card then it won't be that great and you would benifit from something better a serperate card or a extenal dac, xonar makes good sounds cards, if you want to go extenal then the fiio e7/e9 combo is a good option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back