Noob question (Inner Fidelity vs Headroom)
Sep 11, 2012 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

machoboy

500+ Head-Fier
Which frequency graphs are generally more reliable, Inner Fidelity or Headroom? Some of the charts on Headroom seem really erratic.

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 8
Since Tyll "inherited" the same equipment that headroom used to use, there should be very little differences in equipment related anomalies. Tyll has also posted comments on his efforts to refine how he positions and measures headphones. I have seen some of the updated versions of various graphs and believe that his attention to the details and possible variables whilst measuring is much improved. the fact that headroom now uses his graphs for newer 'phones is a vote of confidence for Tyll in my book.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Since Tyll "inherited" the same equipment that headroom used to use, there should be very little differences in equipment related anomalies. Tyll has also posted comments on his efforts to refine how he positions and measures headphones. I have seen some of the updated versions of various graphs and believe that his attention to the details and possible variables whilst measuring is much improved. 

This is pretty accurate. My measurement methods have gotten better over time, and some of the HeadRoom measurements were done very long ago with less expertise. 

Also, I think the 30Hz and 300Hz square waves capture a better picture than the 50Hz and 500Hz tests I originally developed at HeadRoom.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks. I was hesitant to say one looked better than the other due to my own lack of expertise but I'm glad I wasn't imagining things.Of the models that are on both websites, the IF graphs seem to reflect what I'm hearing much more.

Also, thanks for doing all of the tests in the first place, such an awesome resource.

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
 the likes of the great Tyll Hertsens is just what the community needs 

Ha!

You guys will figure it out.  

I've got to be careful to remain entertaining (generally by being positive) and keep getting headphones from makers. 

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #8 of 8
Well this is always the dilemma reviewers have for any publication, balancing the truth against any commercial considerations.
At least the measurements will provide an objective view of a product warts and all

However; subjective impressions are always more problematic as it plays to the reviewers priorities and prejudices.  Which may not be yours!    

Quote:
Why thank you! 

...Not to derail this thread or anything, but...  is there a reason you have not been reviewing cans you don't like very much? I have come to trust your judgement, but I still am left wondering why you didn't like them. For example, the new "Music Maniac" models from Denon have been very controversial lately. It seems to me that there are members on head-fi that have come to like them  more than the previous models, whilst others dismiss them as outright garbage! I think that a well written, scientific and objectively considered review from the likes of the great Tyll Hertsens is just what the community needs to help prevent massive confusion and discontent.    I just read the "Arrrggh"-ticle you posted today. I fully understand the hardships of trying to be a successful reviewer and have thought about the downsides inherent in negative reviews. (why would companies keep ending you headphones to review if they were constantly lambasted? Answer: they wouldn't!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back