Noob needs headphones
Jun 12, 2013 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

silent insanity

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone. I'm a total noob when it comes to headphones. The first "expensive" headphones I bought were solo hd beats lol. They were ok. They sounded way better than the cheap earbuds I had but I hated how they sounded with rock music and their durability sucked. I sold them a couple months back and am in the market for some good quality headphones. I am still saving up so I will probably get them in the next couple months. I will be doing plenty of research but first I need someone to point me in the right direction. I listen to pretty much everything but 90% of the time I listen to hip-hop and rock. I will also use them often to watch movies and anime shows. I want on-ear or over-ear. I use them all day every day so they need to be comfortable and durable. I would also like them to be portable but I could sacrafice portability for sound quality. I don't want anything that needs an amp. I want ones with loud but good bass (not muddy) for hip-hop but they also have to sound good with rock. My budget is around $200-$300 range (I would like to stay closer to $200 but will go higher if they sound exceptionally good). Also, I kind of have a small head so the headphones can't be too big. As a reference, Dr. Dre studios are too big for me. They are loose and fall off my head when I move around.

Another question: What is your opinion on Audio-Technica m50s? Someone suggested them to me as good starter headphones.

Jun 12, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 23
Yes, the ath m50 is a good headphone. But, you must try other headphone first before buying them. Everyone has their own taste of music. Recommendation, try m50, ath pro700mk2, ath es88, beyerdynamic dt770, sennheiser hd25-ii

Ps: good thinking to sell the beats :D

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 23
Hello!

ATH-M50 yes, is a very good headphone for starter also good for Basshead at that price range also who listen to hip hop/rap but because of the very limited soundstage it produces, it's not a smart choice for classical. I do not quite like it with my Linkin Park and Muse either... 

If you can tell the Beats are "okay", I believe, you can differentiate the differences between good and bad headphones. Why not just go straight for the Sennheiser Momentum! Since you have a small head, fitting shouldn't be a problem + you allow on-ear anyway. It is one of the headphone that I find it with the most natural timbre... very "true" sounding to me.

Hope this help!
Billson XD 

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 23
Damn! The Sennheiser Momentum are sexy lol. A little over my budget but I think I can swing that. I will definitely keep them in mind when choosing. Thanx
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #7 of 23
Go for the momentum if you have enough budget. It's worth every penny. The momentum can even match sennheiser's HD in some aspects.

Not trying to waste the OP money, but what ^ said is very true. The timbre on these Momentum is something unique for the price!

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 23
If I buy them from best buy do you think I would need the best buy protection plan? Or would I be safe with just the 2 year manufacturer warranty? I take really good care of my headphones and these look like they are really durable, so im thinking i might not need it but im not sure.
confused.gif
  I know most people hate on best buy protection but it actually helped me a lot when it came to my solo hds. I went through 3 or 4 pairs due to defects and durability issues (now that im looking back on it im realizing that the dres sucked even worse than i thought lol).

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #11 of 23
I would recommend the M-Audio Q40's. These are great portable, bassy headphones. IMO, they are the best headphones I've ever purchased in terms of value. For $100, you'll be amazed by their sound. I bought them after my DT770's and I prefer them in every way. Since the price tag makes them seem cheap, I'd recommend you check out the Q40 thread. Lots of big fans in there!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/275459/m-audio-q40-impressions-long-w-pics

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #12 of 23
If I buy them from best buy do you think I would need the best buy protection plan? Or would I be safe with just the 2 year manufacturer warranty? I take really good care of my headphones and these look like they are really durable, so im thinking i might not need it but im not sure.:confused:   I know most people hate on best buy protection but it actually helped me a lot when it came to my solo hds. I went through 3 or 4 pairs due to defects and durability issues (now that im looking back on it im realizing that the dres sucked even worse than i thought lol).

If that's the case, I strongly do not think you need a best buy protection plan... The 2 year manufacturer warranty is more than enough... You do not need to worry about Sennheiser's Momentum durability :)

Billson :D

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:
I would recommend the M-Audio Q40's. These are great portable, bassy headphones. IMO, they are the best headphones I've ever purchased in terms of value. For $100, you'll be amazed by their sound. I bought them after my DT770's and I prefer them in every way. Since the price tag makes them seem cheap, I'd recommend you check out the Q40 thread. Lots of big fans in there!

Thanx  I will check these out also. But, I think I might be sold on the Sennheiser momentum. They look so good ( i hate plastic lol) plus they have them at best buy. I will know for sure when I listen to them. I will also try a few others (whatever best buy has, which probably isnt much
confused_face.gif
)  Going to go check them out tomorrow
beyersmile.png

I wish I could try a lot more headphones but unfortunately the only store that has any where I live is best buy
frown.gif

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:
I wish I could try a lot more headphones but unfortunately the only store that has any where I live is best buy
frown.gif

What do you guys usually do? Do u order them online and if you dont like the way they sound you send them back? Or do you have more stores around you where you can listen to them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back