Noob needing help with AKG K701
May 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

relaxedfire

New Head-Fier
Hey guys.

I'm a competitive gamer, currently playing CSS competitively and I plan to go onto CS:GO.

But right now, I own a bad Razer Megaladon headset and after using my buddies real set of headphones, I began a search for the perfect setup for me.

I decided to go with the AKG Q or K701's as I've read a lot of good things about them regarding competitive gaming. However, I don't have anything really regarding audio, not even a sound card. SO... that means I'm a noob, and I need help...

What exactly do I need to run this set of headphones and produce good audio, and get virtual surround sound? I suppose I need a mixamp PLUS a soundcard?? 

Thanks for the help, I'm going to need lots!

May 12, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 2

-shu

New Head-Fier
I was in a somewhat similar situation, I ended up going with the Xonar Essence STX which is a very good sound card under $200. It has a good DAC and decent headphone amplifier along with Dolby Headphone so it will be all that's needed. Hopefully within the next week I will order the AKG Q701's I was planning to buy with them.

You don't need a mixamp unless you want to play console games with Dolby Headphone (obviously you don't since you play CSS).

Also I would recommend visiting Mad Lust Envy's gaming headphone guide if you haven't checked it out already.

Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread