noob looking for ~$100 headphones
Nov 28, 2008 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Aedion

New Head-Fier
hey guys, i've been looking around for a pair of headphones around $100-$150. i listen to mostly trance and rock. just from briefly looking around i have been leaning towards the AD700s but i was wondering if anyone had other recommendations.

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aedion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys, i've been looking around for a pair of headphones around $100-$150. i listen to mostly trance and rock. just from briefly looking around i have been leaning towards the AD700s but i was wondering if anyone had other recommendations.

FWIR, you really should start leaning away from the AD700 for trance and rock. What will you be using with your new headphones, a PC, ipod, a amp, or what?

Nov 28, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 15
The AD700 are great for rock and trance unless your a basshead. They are forward sounding in the mids and have fast, tight bass (just not a whole lot of impact unless amped.) The Alessandro MS-1 would be great too and will have a bit more bass impact. You do sacrifice the larger soundstage and airiness of the AD700 though.

Nov 28, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 15
Easy, breezy: x2 on Alessandro MS-1

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 15
Grado SR-60 or Grado SR-80. Both are fine. These cans rock. If you never plan to amp, go with the SR-60. If you amp, the SR-80's are a better choice.
These cans rock.

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x3.

Buy a set of bowls to go along with them for rock. Lessens the bass response, but really opens up the high and particularly the midrange. The comfies they come with, however, are greatttt for trance/techno, etc.

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by I3eyond /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x3.

Buy a set of bowls to go along with them for rock. Lessens the bass response, but really opens up the high and particularly the midrange. The comfies they come with, however, are greatttt for trance/techno, etc.

I personally didn't like the bowls. They emphasize the upper mids/lower treble too much making everything sound too thin in my opinion. The flats emphasize bass too much and the highs are too laid back with them. I like the stock comfies the best as they give the most balanced sound.

Nov 28, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD700 are great for rock and trance unless your a basshead. They are forward sounding in the mids and have fast, tight bass (just not a whole lot of impact unless amped.) The Alessandro MS-1 would be great too and will have a bit more bass impact. You do sacrifice the larger soundstage and airiness of the AD700 though.

the Alessandro MS-1 sound really appealing to me. but what amp would you recommend if i were to still want the AD700?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR, you really should start leaning away from the AD700 for trance and rock. What will you be using with your new headphones, a PC, ipod, a amp, or what?

I'll be using the headphones with the PC mostly, and with my zune 30 occasionally when I'm traveling on planes or car trips.

Quote:

I personally didn't like the bowls. They emphasize the upper mids/lower treble too much making everything sound too thin in my opinion. The flats emphasize bass too much and the highs are too laid back with them. I like the stock comfies the best as they give the most balanced sound.

from what you said i think i would stick with the stock comfies.

thanks for all the comments. also one more question, what exactly is meant by x2 and x3? i looked around and couldn't find what they were.

EDIT: i have Bgears B-enspirer sound card on my computer, so does that void getting an amp?

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 15
I love my SR80s for rock. I put some reversed HD414 pads on them and they are great.

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

the Alessandro MS-1 sound really appealing to me. but what amp would you recommend if i were to still want the AD700?

The Meier Audio CORDA ARIETTA suit both the MS-1 and AD700 in my opinion.

The X2 and X3 meant they recommending the MS-1 as well.

It doesn't void your need for an amp. Neither the M-1 on AD700 need an amp but an amp still helps. Id get the headphones first and add an amp later if you want.

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

The Meier Audio CORDA ARIETTA suit both the MS-1 and AD700 in my opinion.

The X2 and X3 meant they recommending the MS-1 as well.

It doesn't void your need for an amp. Neither the M-1 on AD700 need an amp but an amp still helps. Id get the headphones first and add an amp later if you want.

FWIR...

I'm sure the Arietta would suit the MS1, AD700, or D1001. However, before buying the MS1 or AD700, I suggest having the D1001 recabled.

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #13 of 15
I would still get the bowls. They drastically change the sound, and for $15 it's worth experiencing. I don't think they make these headphones sound thin at all. All I had heard people talk about was how bright the Grado/Alessandro lines were, and frankly I was disappointed until I got the bowls. Bowls + Rock =
ksc75smile.gif
IMO

Nov 29, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x3.

Buy a set of bowls to go along with them for rock. Lessens the bass response, but really opens up the highs and particularly the midrange. The comfies they come with, however, are greatttt for trance/techno, etc.

Nov 29, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Well, I like my Audio Technica AD500s, so I would think you would like the
AD-700s even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back