Noob in need of headphones
Dec 12, 2012 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

PiotrTheGreat

New Head-Fier
So, I recently stumbled upon this site after having Google'd around for headphone reviews, and you guys seemed like a knowledgeable and friendly bunch, so here I am.

That said, I'm looking for headphones (isn't everyone these days? xD)

I'm just stepping out of the shoes of Skullcandy (a brand that everyone seems to hate here, it seems [inbox me your reasons if you care to]) and I'm currently rocking some Aviators (older model, the brown and gold ones). Problem: the cable's taken a beating. While I get around to getting the things repaired under warranty, I'm looking to upgrade in the headphone department.

Specifically, I'm looking for a pair of headphones that travel well. I take public transportation a lot, and spend most of my time listening to music on trains and buses. Therefore, I'm looking for a closed can,  something with noise isolation or CANCELATION (though I know that seems to be a bane when it comes to headphones).

In terms of what music I listen to, I tend to be fairly eclectic, though I hop to rock and metal regularly, as well as pop. I indulge jazz and classical now and again, so I'd like something that's good all-around, though some nice bass and treble would be useful as well (I have my dubstep and techno moods as well).

Price-wise, I'm not looking for anything above $150 for the most part, though depending on the quality of the headphones in question, I might swing a bit higher if you suggest something of good value.

I've been taking a look around the forums and the website in general, and I recently stumbled across a forum talking about Beyerdynamic Custom Ones. They look interesting, if a tad pricey, but like I said, if they're worth the price, I'll take them.

In short:

Looking for Over-the-Ear headphones
Closed Back preferable
Noise isolation/cancelation
Detachable cable (something that comes with iPod controls would be preferable [feel free to suggest a cable to attach to a pair of cans, though])
Suitable for just about anything
Under $150

The list so far:

UE6000
KRK KNS8400

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 14
Add $50 and you're in the ball park for a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 II's.  Make certain that you don't confuse these with HD25SP's.  The HD25-1 II's will meet exactly what your requirements are, for a substantial increase in sound quality.

Just an FYI, but the Aviators are one of the few (only?) decent cans offered by Skullcandy, so you didn't do too bad starting out.
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 14
My perfect pair for you would be the Numark Red Wave. Can be had for under 100 dollars U.S. great bass, great portability, detachable cable, travels anywhere you do and noise isolation is very very good. Highly recommended.

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Add another $50 & the UE6000 will check all your list :) 
For $150.. Maybe V-Moda M-80? On-ear thought. 

Yeah, I'll pass on the on-ear cans. I'm an over-the-ear or in-ear kind of guy

Though, taking a look at the V-Moda line at large, I'm liking the M-100's, even though they're way out of my range

I'll take a look at the UE6000's, then. Thanks :)

EDIT: I took a look at the UE6000's, and I gotta say I'm liking them, as far as appearance goes. Only real issue is the cable color, but that's a minor caveat that I can change with a little added research, I'm sure

Quote:
Add $50 and you're in the ball park for a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 II's.  Make certain that you don't confuse these with HD25SP's.  The HD25-1 II's will meet exactly what your requirements are, for a substantial increase in sound quality.

Just an FYI, but the Aviators are one of the few (only?) decent cans offered by Skullcandy, so you didn't do too bad starting out.
wink.gif

I heard that, actually. My only beef with them is that the cable's broke and they have no isolation. When I bought them, I was actually looking at investing in a pair of Bose Q15s xD

I think my biggest sin over the years was investing in Skullcandy buds, though even some of those were pretty decent

That said, I'll take a look at the HD15-1 II's. Thank you :)

EDIT: I took a look at the Senn's you recommended, and they're not bad. Basic-looking, but not necessarily bad. Stock price is my range +$100, though, and they're on-ear, not over

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
My perfect pair for you would be the Numark Red Wave. Can be had for under 100 dollars U.S. great bass, great portability, detachable cable, travels anywhere you do and noise isolation is very very good. Highly recommended.

My only beef with the Red Wave's are their appearance. They're a bit too bombastic for my tastes

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 14
Howdy there. Look into the KRK KNS8400.

Detachable Cable
Over ear.
Good balanced hp great for rock, jazz, etc.
Great detail.
Great isolation.
$140

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #10 of 14
I really like the KRK KNS 8400 at their price point,
but though very comfortable etc. they look a little
ridiculous when on - especially from the front - due
to the huge halo effect.  I won't wear mine outside,
period.

For portable use, I strongly second the suggestion
made above for the Sennheiser HD 25 1 ii.
Just about ideal portable headphones - great
sound with excellent bass that totally belie their
size; very comfortable, stay in place, very well
made.  Look good on or off and very unobtrusive
while at the same time the high quality is obvious.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
I really like the KRK KNS 8400 at their price point,
but though very comfortable etc. they look a little
ridiculous when on - especially from the front - due
to the huge halo effect.  I won't wear mine outside,
period.

For portable use, I strongly second the suggestion
made above for the Sennheiser HD 25 1 ii.
Just about ideal portable headphones - great
sound with excellent bass that totally belie their
size; very comfortable, stay in place, very well
made.  Look good on or off and very unobtrusive
while at the same time the high quality is obvious.

As mentioned above, my problem with those is that they're on-ear, not over-the-ear

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
As mentioned above, my problem with those is that they're on-ear, not over-the-ear

Yes, I saw that, and sort of ignored it somehow - probably shouldn't have done that
without an explanation.  Sorry.

I focused instead on your comment about them that "they're not bad", and just
wanted to reinforce that they're really exceptional for portable use; they travel
very well indeed.  Thought you might get past the "on ear" consideration because
they have heavily padded earcups that are surprisingly comfortable.

Anyway, owning both the KNS 8400's and the Senn's, I'd take the Senn's
any day for portable use.  Not out to convince you, just trying to
make some suggestions based on real world experience. :)

BTW, I bought my 8400's for $113.00 brand new, so you might be able
to get a better price than the $148. mentioned above.  They're
very enjoyable headphones. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Yes, I saw that, and sort of ignored it somehow - probably shouldn't have done that
without an explanation.  Sorry.

I focused instead on your comment about them that "they're not bad", and just
wanted to reinforce that they're really exceptional for portable use; they travel
very well indeed.  Thought you might get past the "on ear" consideration because
they have heavily padded earcups that are surprisingly comfortable.

Anyway, owning both the KNS 8400's and the Senn's, I'd take the Senn's
any day for portable use.  Not out to convince you, just trying to
make some suggestions based on real world experience. :)

BTW, I bought my 8400's for $113.00 brand new, so you might be able
to get a better price than the $148. mentioned above.  They're
very enjoyable headphones. 

Fair enough. I'll take another look at them, see if I can try them on somewhere and see how they feel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back