noob..i need help
Jul 4, 2008 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mmss939

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, this is the first time im deciding to buy a good over the head headphones for my sony mp3 player

my music choices varities...a lot actually lol
such as,
pop rock, rock, techno, classical, to pop

im looking for a headphone that is $100 or lower, that can produce crisp not too muffled sound. (i usually like when my music has crisp drum sound ) i was looking at grado and senn

any recommendations?
thanks lots!

Jul 4, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 16
Oh yeah, a Grado SR 80 for sure.
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 16
but isnt grado fragile?
plus i heard from amazon, senn is better for classical and cnet said senn is better??

ok i really have no idea.. but thanks anyways

Jul 4, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 16
Fragile? If you mean build quality, they are about the same as any other good headphone; just treat them with care and respect and it will last you for ages.

Yes, Sennheisers are arguably better for classical because of their warm, lush sound. They are decent for rock too, but IMO until you have a HD 580/600, you won't really know if you like the Senn sound signature or not.

Don't listen to anything Cnet says. It's been proven over and over again that they have no clue what they're talking about. Same for amazon.com people. Search around Head-Fi instead for comments and reviews.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmss939 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but isnt grado fragile?
plus i heard from amazon, senn is better for classical and cnet said senn is better??

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmss939 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but isnt grado fragile?

Grado are not the best for classical, but if you want crisp sound you want Grado, not Sennheiser. Seems like a good option for your budget.

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 16
For full enjoying sound from SR80 you will probably need an amp. Try SR60 I heard that those are little bit worse in SQ, but you wont need an amp for full crispy sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 16
ill just buy two LOL
makes life soo much easier....
if i had the money =[

i acually do agree with ur opinion on cnet, mule
they tend to say blab..sometimes...most on apple product
haha (im not a fan of apple)

is there any significant diff on sr60 and sr 80?
besides? sq (? what is that?)

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #10 of 16
im kinda a noob when it comes to full sized as well.

thus far ive made learnt the following.

1. listen before i buy
2. closed vs open and airy. imho open and airy is better less bass but he sound is nicer .. but for portable application e.g on the train etc closed is better.
3. work out if i wanna mod them or leave them be
4.match my audio sources with my phones.

so far i ordered some d1000's they were98bux on the bay..im going to use them for 6 months and also somehwere along the line buy a middle of the range performing open air...then maybve next year ill start splurging on all these expensive cans everybody is always on about here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back