Non-snake oil surge protectors for A/V equipment
Jul 20, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #16 of 26
I am a firm believer in a UPS for computer and AV equipment. I have four scattered about, including two in my AV cabinet for two DVRs, a RP TV, amp, etc. After experimenting with various models I just go to Fry's Electronics and get whatever APC unit will keep things up for five or ten minutes. Some people may need longer run times, but the big problems in my area are surges, brown-outs, and brief outages. I would rather have two smaller units than one big one where I have space. I'm convinced sine wave stuff and this or that type of filtering is useless.

check out Save on APC Battery, APC UPS, APC RBC11, RBC7 Battery, APC SmartUPS batteries, APC RBC Battey Kits, New APC RBC Replacement Battery Kits, APC UPS Replacement Battery Solutions for APC Battery BackUPS, Tripplite Battery, Belkin Battery, BestPower Batt before Fry's

Mooch

Aug 12, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #18 of 26
Dunno where you are, but some power companies will sell and install whole-house surge protectors for a song (actually, it cost me $154 as I recall--and with the $25,000 guarantee, I thought that was a 'song').

But I didn't trust it completely, so my system is wired through an old PowerWedge 1118 which also supports an APC UPS. Kind of redundant redundant, but for the components it protects, I figure it's pretty cheap. There are plenty of folks who'll tell you the PW 1118 is obsolete, but it works, definitely cleans the lines, and they're pretty cheap used when you can find them. They're kind of like old cars, raincoats, and guns--if you keep 'em in good condition, they'll do just what they were intended for, just as well as the 'new' technology.

Our house has been hit by lightning twice; we regularly have brown-outs and power spikes here (at least 6X a year), and the equipment's never been harmed. Cheap protection all told.

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #19 of 26
It might help to distinguish the types of products mentioned here. Your mileage and requirements will vary depending on where you live and how nervous, obsessive-compulsive, or toy crazy you are.

Surge protectors prevent power spikes from harming your equipment. There are two types. One just suppresses small to medium surges. The other is a lightning protector which will blow a breaker or cheap part and completely shut off the power when hit with a huge voltage spike.

Next are noise suppressors. These almost always comes with surge suppression, although not necessarily of the lightning (high voltage) kind. They filter out radio and audio frequency noise and very small spikes, in addition to what normal suppressors do. Keep in mind that motors, flourescent lights, and digital equipment such as computers and audio/video gear operate at these frequencies. Many of these devices have lightning protection, but not all.

A UPS is meant to keep the power flowing continually when the voltage dips for fractions of a second up to several minutes. It's practically the only kind of device that will prevent the volume from going low when you turn on the lights. (Although that symptom suggests you have other problems in your house wiring.) The problem with a UPS is that it contains certain circuitry that isn't necessarily compatible with other devices, particularly lightning suppressors (MOV devices). Hopefully your UPS has one if you need it.

Personally, I've live in apartments that had sub-second brownouts that would reboot my computers. Lately, I find I can survive completely without a UPS. Lightning is a non-issue for me where I live. The power is good enough that I use a Monster Power brand thing as a 10 outlet strip, but don't find any difference using it or not.

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #20 of 26
all of it is snakeoil...surge will find a way

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ended up getting a Panamax MAX 5400MP. When I receive the rest of the stuff and set it up I will take a picture.

Thats what I use it replaced the first one that sacrificed itself but the eq was
ok.I have used several different brands and never once noticed an improvement in sound but never expected it either but they are convenient to
plug all eq in and its another form of insurance.

Aug 13, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #22 of 26
Anyone here using the Monarchy Audio Regenerator? Monarchy Audio

p6215593_std.jpg

p6215603_std.jpg

p6215595_std.jpg

Monarchy Audio AC-Regenerator

Power Handling: 100 Watt

Output Frequency: 50Hz, 60Hz, 120Hz, 400Hz.

Output Voltage: (a)110 to 120 Volt Adjustable in 1-Volt steps
(b)200 to 240 Volt Adjustable in 2-volt steps

Dimension:

Width 17"
Depth: 12"
Height: 4"
Net Weight: 24 lbs
Shipping weight: 30 lbs.

Price: $850
Color: Black

A 150 Watt Power amp is built in to generate a pure sine wave, noise free.
The Output of this power amp can be adjusted to the ratings as above.

This supply may be used with any LCD HDTV displays rated at power
consumption of 100 Watts or less, with improved picture quality and
more stable operation. It cannot be used with any AC appliance rated
at more than 100 Watts.

Aug 14, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone here using the Monarchy Audio Regenerator? Monarchy Audio

Monarchy Audio AC-Regenerator

Power Handling: 100 Watt

Output Frequency: 50Hz, 60Hz, 120Hz, 400Hz.

Output Voltage: (a)110 to 120 Volt Adjustable in 1-Volt steps
(b)200 to 240 Volt Adjustable in 2-volt steps

Price: $850
A 150 Watt Power amp is built in to generate a pure sine wave, noise free.
The Output of this power amp can be adjusted to the ratings as above.

This supply may be used with any LCD HDTV displays rated at power
consumption of 100 Watts or less, with improved picture quality and
more stable operation. It cannot be used with any AC appliance rated
at more than 100 Watts.

Trouble is, 100/150 watts is nothing. Any power amplifier would eat that for breakfast. Any large flat panel display will draw 300W or more, worst case, so the only thing this could be useful for would be pre-amps or head-amps.

BTW, Panamax that you mentioned earlier is a good brand as is Monster.
I bought a Monster HTS 5000 MkII when it went on sale a few years ago, and it does a great job. I see that there is a HTS1600 for under 200 bux at the outlet store right now.

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trouble is, 100/150 watts is nothing. Any power amplifier would eat that for breakfast. Any large flat panel display will draw 300W or more, worst case, so the only thing this could be useful for would be pre-amps or head-amps...

Yes, and my use for the regenerator would be to power an NM24 DAC and a DVD Player (as a transport). Any coments on how good is the idea behind the Monarchy Audio Regenerator in such an application? Thanks.

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trouble is, 100/150 watts is nothing. Any power amplifier would eat that for breakfast. Any large flat panel display will draw 300W or more, worst case, so the only thing this could be useful for would be pre-amps or head-amps.

BTW, Panamax that you mentioned earlier is a good brand as is Monster.
I bought a Monster HTS 5000 MkII when it went on sale a few years ago, and it does a great job. I see that there is a HTS1600 for under 200 bux at the outlet store right now.

For breakfast? Just as snack....I have around ten times as much around, and my amp is nothing like a power monster...There are also some balanced power supplies that offer 60volts per side, instead of 120/0 that are supposed to eliminate a few of the problems we have related with the AC noise...But my slogan is "a good PSU first, and BS later"...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back