Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #5,807 of 6,432
No .. it's my baby .. I've owned it since new.

It's not that expensive to keep it running or insured. I've learned to fix almost everything on it. It runs about 300hp with lots of upgrades hiding under the OE exterior, like 13" rotors with 6-pot calipers, bigger turbo, 3-inch stainless exhaust, electronic boost, springs, shocks, etc. etc.

Puts my headphone expenses in perspective ... they get a lot more use than the car does

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #5,808 of 6,432
i managed to try the SMS by 50cent and i thought it sounded a tad better than beats, everything sounded very artificical to me though, primarily the bass texture and the mids.

also i don't really regard the M80 to have exceptional soundstage, maybe decent

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #5,809 of 6,432
That sounds familiar hifimanrookie

Before mid-life commitments, like business, house and spouse, I spent way too much on my car mechanicals and stereo
My Z-car has multiple amps, electronic crossovers, equalizers, custom boxes ....
I still have it, so it was a long-term investment :wink:

1984 300ZX 50th Anniversary

Nice! I'm a big fan of Nissan's Z sports car. Could you post a picture of it?

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #5,810 of 6,432
Quote:
Are you guys talking about Souls like the Ludacris ones, which are about the same price as beats, or the Sol Republic which are around $100-? I would rather take the Sol Republic if I went on looks.

ya i meant sol republic, sorry for the confusion.

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #5,811 of 6,432
Quote:
That sounds familiar hifimanrookie

Before mid-life commitments, like business, house and spouse, I spent way too much on my car mechanicals and stereo
My Z-car has multiple amps, electronic crossovers, equalizers, custom boxes ....
I still have it, so it was a long-term investment :wink:

1984 300ZX 50th Anniversary

WOW THAts A classic! i used to have a 1995 biturbo 300zx with handshift..not automatic..damn that baby flew..had 450Hp in it! good tahat i dont have it anymore as it would make me broke because of the amount of gas it drank..lolz..but that sound!! man..i am jealous of u..am sure u cherish him a lot..u should as it will be a classic one day..just as the 280zx is already. big respect! and a bit offtopic also..
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #5,812 of 6,432
This Z talk is making me extremely happy. I have a 240Z (gotta love the original) in the trademark orange, modified with period racing-style equipment in the vein of the classic BRE 510 and 240Z racers. One of my best friends has a 10th-anniversary edition 280ZX that's filled with 80's goodness, and a friend of his has a modern 370Z Nismo.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #5,814 of 6,432
With companies like McIntosh making amps and MB Quart making speakers, how could anyone diss car audio? But my favorite companies back in the 90's was Phoenix Gold amps and Boston Acoustic speakers, which I would listen to the set up in a local higher-end car/home audio shop show room all the time, I mean before I got a car, girls and a life. And you have companies like Focal, that make a pretty respectable headphone, make some great car audio upgrade speakers today. Most companies with upgrade speakers make them specific for the car too, which is a win win for do it your selfers like me.
And much respect and envy on the car mentions, BMWs, ZZZZs, and even the Lexus stock stereo mention, I would enjoy any of those.
I live in California and smog laws keep us from enjoying good horse power in every way possible. I remember when I was 6, mom got a 280zx2+2 back in 81-82, if I remember right, that she got because I liked it better then the Corvette when we test drove the two. The best part about it was it was from Nevada and didn't have the CA smog equipment that was standard then, and it could do 140mph even with her driving. Anyway, those were some great times.
Back to influencing non-audiophiles, I want to make a point that sometimes just takes experience to understand. So I found some AR2a speakers, circa 1959, for $20- one day at a thrift store, called my 67 year old buddy (the man with the experience, not me) who knows what's up and he said he wanted them. I took them to his house where he started fixing a few problems in one of the crossovers. About 6 months after he had dialed them in, I was helping him clean out his garage. They were not being used and just taking up space, so I offered to help him sell them locally because shipping I figured would be a pain. A 21 y.o. guy I worked with who has newer Cambridge 40wpc amp and $500 Paradigm bookshelf speakers was really stoked with his system (but I really didn't like the speakers), until I talked him into buying the AR's for $100- which I convinced both buyer and seller that it was a good deal (even though the seller wants them back now lol). At first he was like "what would I want with 1959 speakers!," but I showed him some literature on them and the current ebay price of around $300, which convinced him he couldn't go wrong in buying them. I helped him hook them up to his Cambridge (a nice amp if you ask me) and they quickly began to grow on him. The guy even has Grado RS-1, but still prefers listening to those AR2a speakers. How is that, I ask? Even if I knew why he liked them better and agreed with his view, I really couldn't give a straight answer why, except right is right. Plus those speakers were top of the line back then and cost a bunch, maybe $900 if I remember what I read. Just an example of another thing done right, like the Z. (sorry for any confusion here)
redface.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #5,816 of 6,432
Quote:
WOW THAts A classic! i used to have a 1995 biturbo 300zx with handshift..not automatic..damn that baby flew..had 450Hp in it! good tahat i dont have it anymore as it would make me broke because of the amount of gas it drank..lolz..but that sound!! man..i am jealous of u..am sure u cherish him a lot..u should as it will be a classic one day..just as the 280zx is already. big respect! and a bit offtopic also..
biggrin.gif

I LOVE the 300ZX, it almost ended up being my first car, got an S10 instead for my go-kart, which never actually got used for anything karting related, my back end recently took a crap so I got a 6 Speed 2003 Maxima with the VQ35 about 3 weeks ago, even though it's FWD I'm very pleased, came with a true CAI into the fender too. Sounds exactly like a 350Z, love it to death, fully loaded but the Bose Stereo has to go, it's pretty garbage. /OT. Never pass up an offer to talk about Z's and related Nissans though. 

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #5,817 of 6,432
Quote:
I LOVE the 300ZX, it almost ended up being my first car, got an S10 instead for my go-kart, which never actually got used for anything karting related, my back end recently took a crap so I got a 6 Speed 2003 Maxima with the VQ35 about 3 weeks ago, even though it's FWD I'm very pleased, came with a true CAI into the fender too. Sounds exactly like a 350Z, love it to death, fully loaded but the Bose Stereo has to go, it's pretty garbage. /OT. Never pass up an offer to talk about Z's and related Nissans though. 

I like the 02-03 Maxima more than the bloated(in my opinion) revisions since.  I think it was the last Maxima to have manual transmission as an option.  Sorry about the off-topic discussion, automobiles is my second passion after audio.
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #5,818 of 6,432

I also used to have a dark purple metallic latest model (S14) 200sx european model 1997 with black leather and around 300 hp with lots of greddy and hks goodies. I loved that car..i had to sell it when my daughter gaby got born..as the back seats were buckets :D .so no maxicosi (babyseat) would fit in them:mad: as it was my regular drive.. I stil hate myself for that as the sound that came from that full stainless steel (95mm, 3,75inch in diameter) hks superdragger exhaust without cat and special downpipe was heavenly! But no good for baby... Had to buy a standard beemer 3 series :mad:

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #5,820 of 6,432
Quote:

Sorry about the off-topic discussion, automobiles is my second passion after audio.
tongue.gif

Same here. Then comes politics, but I doubt it's a good idea to get into that discussion here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back