Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 9, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #5,476 of 6,432
Quote:

What if i tell you that the HE-500 is a hybrid between Senn HD650 and Beyer DT880?, it have the HD650 bass (much faster on PRaT on the HE-500), have the DT880 transparencies, and have a very good staging. So i guess you got the idea which one is more suit for hip-hop/r&b/dubstep

so happens it costs as much as a DT880 + HD650 combined too
tongue.gif
 kind of like a 'fusion-ha' based on the description here

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #5,477 of 6,432
Quote:
so happens it costs as much as a DT880 + HD650 combined too
tongue.gif
 kind of like a 'fusion-ha' based on the description here

Yup it's true
biggrin.gif
, but you can't be wrong by going with the HE-500. I also have doubt at first about the HE-500 (ortho) because it's my first time, but it shocked me, it beyond my expectation, i guess i'm having a "Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones" syndrom after all
tongue.gif

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #5,479 of 6,432
The worst ive heard were some cheapie sony's. Before I was even into better headphones, I could tell a big difference between two different Sony buds (like a $5 one vs a $15 one)

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #5,480 of 6,432
i love getting my n00b friends (particularly females) to listen to my grados almost as much as i love listening to them myself. usually as soon as the beat kicks in on whatever song i'm playing (this is one i like to put on, esp. for the girls 
wink_face.gif
), they just get a huge smile on their face, as if rediscovering what music is supposed to sound like. a lot of them have a fit when i tell them that my cans/amp cost over $200...but then i remind them that their ipod cost more than that and they have another epiphany. i've had people literally take my headphones and lie down with them, as if overcome by some drug. 

Ok guys, whats the worst pair of headphones, IEMS, that you ever heard, and why? Not counting stock earbuds and beats :D

honestly, the beats. all of them. their awful sound quality (uh, sorry, i mean sound 'signature') is only exacerbated by their ludicrous prices. every time i put them on in a store they sound not just bad, but broken, to my ears. like a sludgy, toxic, river of of tar.

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #5,481 of 6,432
Quote:
Ok guys, whats the worst pair of headphones, IEMS, that you ever heard, and why? Not counting stock earbuds and beats :D

Worst, or worst value for money? I've heard some terrible cans and IEMs, but they are all on the cheap and ***** end of the spectrum. On the I paid money and all I got was this lousy headphone end, the Beats Solo, SMS Sync and the B&W P5 are the worst headphones/£ I've ever heard.

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #5,482 of 6,432

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #5,483 of 6,432
Haha, I only know that I like expensive cars. But our current Benz is good enough. After all, we're not CEOs, are we.
hifimanrookie, do you have anything to say about hifimans (hifimen)? I listen to hip-hop/r&b, and i'm looking at the he400 for home use. watching movies, listening to music, producing, etc. i'll most likely get a akg tiesto k167 for portable use, btw.

As u know i have owned the he300, 400 and now own the 500..and all are in my eyes completely different and excellent phones...and u ask me if the he400 is right choice for home use..mmmm yep it is..but know this..its a bit of an agressive sounding phone compared to its siblings..more tremble and more bass..but good thing is that its the easiest to drive planar magnetic around..i had it driven by a excellent but inexpensive matrix mstage on gain 10db. BUT u have to like that sound.for me it was to much..and thats why i bought the he500...but as u use the akg as portable use i am sure u will like the sound signature of the he400.. For gaming and watching movies and contempary (modern) music its very good because of that bass and tremble heavy signature..for the price its the best u can get..no doubt..for me i liked the darker sounding he300 (still dont know how they manage to make a 249 phone sound that good!) and now the he500 more..i guess..u have to hear it urself..and check headfi..u will see lots of people adore he400.and why they adore it..but also why not.. :wink: .for me not so...i sold my pair after 3 months or so..not because they were bad..their mids are sweet, they have nice soundstage also..but as i said..i couldnt get customed to the in ur face sound..but u must know..its personal ofcourse..for the reason u want to buy the he400 for i think, u do a good deal..only for producing music i would consider a more neutral phone..like a paradox..a modded fostex headphone..check headfi for info on that one..

And another thing..a he400 ALWAYS sounds better with an amp..and in my experience also with a good copper cable for instance toxic cables..but others too! Instead of the silver cable.

Happy choosing! :D

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #5,484 of 6,432
I, for one (sorry to derail the thread), actually enjoy Maybach. I enjoy its history and seeing the classics at Concours events, and I even like what M-B did with the brand when it launched the 57 and 62 a few years back. I would prefer a 57S to a Rolls-Royce Ghost, and the 62 Landaulet to the R-R Phantom Drophead.

My most enduring memory of the Maybach brand is being passed at once by a duo of magazine reporters, one in a mid-Thirties beauty and the other in a 57S, doing over 100 MPH just outside of Chicago. They always seemed to have a touch more class than the over-the-top, rapper- and huge-wheel-friendly Phantom, and with the exception of a few notable examples their clientelle seemed to reflect that.

True..and i really love the classic models..but i like nowadays limousines more sleekly..like the maserati quattroporte..but taste is personal.....for instance .i bought an excellent latest model saab 9-5 Aero for instance just before Saab went bankrupt..and i am not even 40! (in europe saab is normally bought by elderly people.lolz).but as i said..taste is personal..but this is completely offtopic as u said urself...lolz..so lets go back to headphones..lolz :wink:

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #5,485 of 6,432
i let my older cousin try my MS1i and HD558, he said the MS1i is nice and the HD558 soundstage is very wide. (but he was using MS1i unamped and only a tiny amp for the HD558 though.) he also plans to get an M50.

*tries to push train on track*

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #5,486 of 6,432
As a 15 year old audiophile I look extremely goofy walking around school carrying my dt770's and my fiio. The looks i get from teachers and students alike are hilarius. I also got a chance to compare them directly to the beats solo's. The non-audiophiles were amazed at the difference in quality of the bass of my unamped dt770's. I was actually surprised to hear that they actually agreed that my cans stoped the beats. Every once in a while though you do get people who are too stuborn to admit that they've wasted money and call me stupid and my headphones trash.

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #5,488 of 6,432

[/LIST]
i find that the grado sound doesnt work with hip hop/ r&b
insufficient bass and shrill treble for me

Maybe for hip hop u have to try he400? :wink:

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #5,490 of 6,432
I feel like its just like the Matrix people live there lives Being fooled by companies like beats and Bose and never take the "blue pill" and open there eyes to the world of audiophile headphones, just ranting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back