Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jul 30, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #4,621 of 6,432
Quote:
Ha! This girl asked if I got them at a garage sale.

Ugh I don't understand people's problem with the style, I love it. I saw a man on the bus one time and we were both wearing them. We just nodded to each other. It made me feel normal 
dt880smile.png

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #4,622 of 6,432
Trying to stay on topic, but a few other good bass test songs are Techmaster PEB's Bassgasm and Massive Attack's Angel. PEB's music is mediocre but it goes deep. Another one you have to have good extension or a subwoofer for to actually hear the bulk of the song.

On topic: I'm hoping to get my HD800s on my new roomies soon to see what they think. Surprised I haven't forced them into the listening chair already.

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. PEB's Activate and Time was always great and so was their 006 track.

I apologize for getting off topic

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #4,623 of 6,432
Music.  Music is spiritual it sis a part of the human wave length..  Music is emotion it is life .  I have invested many many thousands in music from CDs to speakers to amps to headphones to you name it because I need music..  I have been lucky enough to have been exposed to many studio settings and have a very high requirement fro extremely high sound quality.  My Harman Kardon BTs make me very happy.. and all who have heard them like them alot..   At $250 they are much better than my $300 P5s

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #4,624 of 6,432
i remember a couple of months ago my dad brought a friend over and he was bragging of how he was great because he had the most expensive bose at best buy. I turned around and rolled my eyes; then my dad said how I had this audio obsession. The guy said no way it was more expensive then his. My dad begged me to let his listen to one of them at least. I let him listen to my hd650 and he was blown away "this sounds like its really happening" (in his exact wording). He was probably just shocked by the bass, but asked me where i could buy them. I took revenge and told him to research what are good headphones for himself (he still doesnt know how much they cost).

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #4,625 of 6,432
The reactions I get from my headphones range from "Why would you spend so much money on headphones?!" to "Are those Beats?" to "Why don't you have a pair of Beats?" to "Holy crap those are loud!!!" to "omg I can feel the music".

The ones that wonder why I spend so much clearly don't care about music as much as I do, since some of them would rather buy a pair of earbuds from the local dollar store than to walk around with subwoofers attached to your head.  Then some of my friends' first pair of "quality" headphones were Beats so they stick to those.  Others actually are curious as to how they sound, and one of my friends actually bought the same pair of headphones I have.  I created an audiophile.......or at the very least, a basshead lol.

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #4,626 of 6,432
poisoned my gf again with nice audio,though she said she would not be able to tell the difference between the razer electra (had one lying around at home so i lent it to her after poisoning her with the senn hd202 cause she used to use stock earbuds) and my new hd558

first reaction: whoa there is a lot more detail! the guitar plucking can be hered very clearly now, *smiles widely to the music from my phone* (my phone has 320kbps and eq tuning too) but i wont spend $180 on headphones though.
later that day: my electra sounds not so good anymore.... but its ok still^^ (after all she only has 128 kbps files, and i use my hd558 too much to lend to her)

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #4,628 of 6,432
My 68years old mothers reaction towards dt990 and hd650

-"How much is it?"

-"How come headphones cost so much? you are wasting your money!!"
 (10minutes lecture on how I should be careful with spending money... Oh Mother..)

-(Played Celine Dion who is her favourite singer) "She is such a good singer!"

-(asked what the sound was like through the headphone) "They are comfy. What about the sound? They are normal".

-(changed from 650 to 990) "It sounds more harsh. So what is the difference?"

-(Changed to cheap sony mdr150) "I still don't see anything different. This one is less comfortable".

-(Back to how I should be careful with money)

I still love you Mom.

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #4,629 of 6,432

-"How much is it?"

(10minutes lecture on how I should be careful with spending money... Oh Mother..)

I still love you Mom.

Love this post........love it!!!

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #4,630 of 6,432
Quote:

-"How much is it?"

-(Played Celine Dion who is her favourite singer) "She is such a good singer!"

-(asked what the sound was like through the headphone) "They are comfy. What about the sound? They are normal".

-(changed from 650 to 990) "It sounds more harsh. So what is the difference?"

-(Changed to cheap sony mdr150) "I still don't see anything different. This one is less comfortable".

-(Back to how I should be careful with money)

I still love you Mom.

And that's what scares me about growing old. Not the part about being really self-righteous and preachy (no offense intended; I just get that a lot from my parents and grandparents too :p), but the part where my ears start deteriorating and losing the ability to differentiate between iBuds and JH16s. For the record I own neither, but just wanted to make a hyperbolic analogy.

... Yeah, I still think of Dragon Ball every time I type that :/

Jul 30, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #4,631 of 6,432
Quote:

And that's what scares me about growing old. Not the part about being really self-righteous and preachy (no offense intended; I just get that a lot from my parents and grandparents too :p), but the part where my ears start deteriorating and losing the ability to differentiate between iBuds and JH16s. For the record I own neither, but just wanted to make a hyperbolic analogy.

... Yeah, I still think of Dragon Ball every time I type that :/

Different reaction  - but similar story.  Last time we were back in my old hometown to visit my parent (Dad's 76, Mum's 68), I took my DT880s and my PortaTube (sadly now sold).  Got her set-up with a little Mozart, and left her sitting at the table - doing a sudoku puzzle.  Came back about 15 minutes later - she's sitting back in the chair, puzzle unattended, eyes closed, smile on her face - totally lost in the music.

That's when I really love seeing a reaction - when you know someone close to you "gets it" as much as you do.

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #4,632 of 6,432
Quote:

Different reaction  - but similar story.  Last time we were back in my old hometown to visit my parent (Dad's 76, Mum's 68), I took my DT880s and my PortaTube (sadly now sold).  Got her set-up with a little Mozart, and left her sitting at the table - doing a sudoku puzzle.  Came back about 15 minutes later - she's sitting back in the chair, puzzle unattended, eyes closed, smile on her face - totally lost in the music.

That's when I really love seeing a reaction - when you know someone close to you "gets it" as much as you do.

I tried with everyone in my family. So far, the younger kids only want bass (they think Beats actually sound good, *shudder), while my cousin who's roughly the same age as me wants volume, LOTS of volume. My parents don't see much of a difference between my admittedly unamped K242s and my cousin's (who happens to be living in my home, by the way) no-name, shabby cans. 

... Though I did manage to impress everyone with the Virtual Barbershop :wink:

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #4,633 of 6,432
Quote:

Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 brought my mum to tears. I get shivers from beautiful songs if I listen actively but I've never been brought to tears... Otherwise it's background music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back