Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 7, 2010 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6,432

Annirak

Head-Fier
Since I got my new SRH750DJ headphones, I've been loving the sound 
smily_headphones1.gif
.  When I go to university, I let people try them out.  Entertaining reactions so far: 
  1. "I've never been an audiophile.  Maybe I should be."
  2. "Those sound amazing.  Don't let me listen to them ever again.  I can't afford them."
  3. "How much did you pay?"  Even more entertaining when I tell them it was nearly $200: "That's not bad"
  4. one guy put them on, started listening to them, got this huge smile on his face, and kinda zoned out for a few minutes.  It took me waving right in front of his face to get him back.

And the best one so far:  "Are those the Dr. Dre ones?" 
eek.gif

Lots of people comment on the bass response or the clarity, but those aren't nearly as funny.

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 6,432
Nice to see someone getting the word out there. Hopefully you're not being a jerk like many folks here are, particularly toward people who like Skullcandys or Beats. (Not to imply you are being a jerk.)

I've never had a chance to show off my headphones though, no one has ever asked. Maybe I don't come off as sociable enough to let someone try them.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 8, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 6,432
Back when I had my Atrio M5s my friend A/Bed them with his cx300-ii. He thought that the cx300-ii sounded better. Wasn't too impressed with the IE8 either. I guess he's just destined to stick to stuff with big boomy bass.

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 6,432
When my wife tried my DT990s she looked me like and gave me a politically correct smile and said: "Oh they sound nice"... and took them off.

I played Enter Sandman on them to a couple of my partners in the office, one said: "Man its like a rush of blood in you head" the other pointed out while hearing a Pantera song "Look you can feel the texture of the distorted guitar".

An employee said: " just like when you go in the listening room in BestBuy"

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 6,432

Quote:
My landlord, who gives me a great deal, told me that maybe sometime I would be able to upgrade to a pair of Bose headphones after she saw me wearing my Edition 8 Limited.  DIdn't want to say anything that would raise my rent.
tongue_smile.gif

I think I would have died laughing on the inside......then went in side and chuckled silently.

also let a friend listen to mine reaction*granted this was after he bought my XB-700*
"sound good, not enough bass, maybe that sound better out of a computer"   HFI-580 out of an itouch......on cage the elephant-soil to sun*not bassy song*

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 6,432

Quote:
Nah, I don't think I'm being a jerk.  I say "Hey, I just got these, try them out and tell me what you think!"

That's definitely not being a jerk, that's the proper way to do it, actually. :p

I remember someone mentioning calling out a Beats owner and telling him his headphones suck. Then when the guy got mad, the person who called him out acted like the victim. Heh.

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #11 of 6,432
The best one I have gotten so far is:

"Oh my god, the music is surrounding me!... But you know me better than that. I can't afford to spend $200 on a headphone."

This was after my SRH840 demo.
biggrin.gif

And on a funnier note, though nothing to do with demos...

"What?! You want to put those pretty, clear, acrylic shells into your ears?! That's disgusting!!!"

That was after I discussed about my plans to order a UM Mage.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 8, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 6,432
Shortly after I got my T1, I brought them to work along with my K240, M50, DT990, and my dac/amp. Told the coworkers I was going to do it beforehand, and to bring in some high bitrate mp3 / flac files of their music to try them out with, along with a couple of my own test tracks.

Pretty much all the other headphones got ignored and everyone jumped straight at the T1 (knowing they were $1300 headphones), as we didn't really have too much time at work to audition them all. The first coworker to try them just sat with a really focused face, about 30 seconds in with a "holy crap." "That's unreal, I've never heard imaging like this from any piece of equipment".

The second coworker to try them didn't really say much other than a "wow, that sounds good". He's been known for buying $10 headphones in a cycle when the other ones break. The next day he came up and asked me about some headphones he was looking into buying and wanted my opinion on them, and brought up the Shure SRH440 from an online store. Pretty much unheard of, as prior he was looking at me like I was insane when I'd constantly buy new $100-$200 cans, even though the other ones were still functioning.

Dec 8, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #13 of 6,432
lol I love this thread!

My roommate regularly used a pair of decent Sony IEMs he paid $60 for.  He knew I used my UE TF10's everyday, but never knew how much they cost.  I got them for $90, but once I mentioned the MSRP he was perplexed at why anyone would make $400 headphones - "who would buy them!?" he asked.

I took the tips off of his Sony's (Sony Hybrid tips, how convenient right?) and twisted them onto my UE TF10's and said, "This will explain better than I ever will", connected the TF10's to my NuForce uDAC pumping out Chris Botti's Live in Boston in FLAC and I saw him instinctively close his eyes, tilt his head back, and melt in my chair.  His mouth remained ajar for most of the song "Cinema Paradiso" until he finally came "Back to Earth", pulled out the TF10's and said with a wide-eyed expression of a kid tasting candy for the first time, "DUUUUUUUUUUDE.  Worth it."

I will never forget that moment :p  It irks me when people say their iPod earbuds are no different than the more expensive alternatives out there.  Getting acknowledgement of good sound being "good sound" is always a great feeling :]

Dec 8, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #14 of 6,432

Quote:
I will never forget that moment :p  It irks me when people say their iPod earbuds are no different than the more expensive alternatives out there.  Getting acknowledgement of good sound being "good sound" is always a great feeling :]

It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back