Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Jul 10, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #541 of 4,655
I went out to lunch with some friends and sat the PSB Speakers M4U2's on the table. They were curious as to how a pair of $400 headphones would sound and so I played eminem's Superman.

My mate said that it was like listening to the 12" subs in his car. He was very impressed. His girlfriend said also had a grin on her face and said they sounded "nice, very clear".

The PSB M4U2's and the Bose QuietComfort 15s share the title "most expensive headphones I own" as they each cost $400.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #542 of 4,655
I had a friend over last night, and I let him listen to my Stax system with my new Little Dot 1+ preamp for my energizer. His face lit up like, say, a tube. :)

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #543 of 4,655
After I got the Aune T1 to drive my HD558s, my wife listened to some of her music from her iPad on my set up and finally "got it." She sat transfixed for at least an hour and talked about how great it sounded. It was great to have her finally understand what this is about!

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #544 of 4,655
Quote:
Almost worth a new thread:  Who gets your gear if you die tomorrow?

My older bro gets it, but knowing my parents, it prolly end up at a thrift Store with the rest of my stuff expect my montior and computer which my dad would snatch. But I would rather not die young.

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #546 of 4,655
Today I went out to lunch with friends and someone new joined us - a cousin of my friend.

His using Sennheiser IEMs, and once he started talking about headphones it became clear he has a little more knowledge than your average joe on the street

Anyway he tried my PSB M4U2's with his ipod classic and came to the conclusion that it doesn't have enough low end bass. He said the highs and midrange were good, but it lacks bass.

His coming to lunch again next week, and when that happens i'll bring in my V-Moda LP2s for him to try - if he says they lack sub bass then I think i'll reccomend a hearing test instead.

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #547 of 4,655
I graduated from high school in 1976 - yeah, an old fart here...

My uncle gave me $100 as a graduation present, which I promptly spent on the Stax SRX Mk III. I was keen on electrostatics at that time, having bought the Sony ECR-500 previously. Anyway, my mom was quite upset with me - by then she was fed up with my spending on stereo equipment and a $120 headphone was pretty pricey in her view.

I still had the Stax in 2001 and at that time took great pleasure teasing her about it, saying that I still used them and they were a great bargain since I got 25 years of use out of them. If she only knew what the current Stax flagship costs... And what I paid for my LCD-3 and HE-500...

We audiophiles are a crazy bunch I guess. We spend way too much on this stuff. :)

Jul 11, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #548 of 4,655
Me: "Soooo, which one you like the best? (HE-500 and Lambda Signature)"
Friend: "The Stax ones are more comfortable..."

Haven't found anyone who was actually remotely impressed yet, must just don't care 
size]
 Above calls for a facepalm...

Jul 11, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #549 of 4,655
Quote:
Almost worth a new thread:  Who gets your gear if you die tomorrow?

I would be buried with my gear. No one I know deserves it.

Jul 11, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #551 of 4,655
well i hv a good story to tell u..

i once invited 4 of my frnds to my house and let them use my rigs for a night.. one was listening to lil wayne on hd800..
the other 2nd was listening shrillex on hd650 .
the 3rd frnd was into audio a little he started comparing m50s with my audeze lcd 2 coupled with woo 6 es. he was listening to dream theater and opeth(metal mainly)..
4th was listening to bollywood songs on my hd598..
man after that day i will not showoff infront of my frnds and anybody..

when i told them the price of my rig they after abusing me in hindi said what a waste my $50 rig is better than ur $1000 ****.. they were making fun that  am geek and dont know anything about headphones.. they said u shld buy beats if u r willing to spend $400 on headphones..they were man handling my amp as its a music player.. one guy said this is **** man i liked the beats much better complement on my hd800 with woo 6 es..
MAN I WANT TO KILL THEM.. HEADFIERS HELP ME TO KILL THESE PPL

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #553 of 4,655
Quote:
well i hv a good story to tell u..

i once invited 4 of my frnds to my house and let them use my rigs for a night.. one was listening to lil wayne on hd800..
the other 2nd was listening shrillex on hd650 .
the 3rd frnd was into audio a little he started comparing m50s with my audeze lcd 2 coupled with woo 6 es. he was listening to dream theater and opeth(metal mainly)..
4th was listening to bollywood songs on my hd598..
man after that day i will not showoff infront of my frnds and anybody..

when i told them the price of my rig they after abusing me in hindi said what a waste my $50 rig is better than ur $1000 ****.. they were making fun that  am geek and dont know anything about headphones.. they said u shld buy beats if u r willing to spend $400 on headphones..they were man handling my amp as its a music player.. one guy said this is **** man i liked the beats much better complement on my hd800 with woo 6 es..
MAN I WANT TO KILL THEM.. HEADFIERS HELP ME TO KILL THESE PPL

Don't try to explain something to people who don't care to listen to you. 

A very sad story indeed. No matter what their oppinion on how u spend ur money is, they shouldn't be disrespectful, which they are. I wouldn't accept that, and I would have them understand how you feel about your gear, and why their behaviour is very very rude. If they don't understand that, which they probs don't, they can go **** themselves. 

I would never have anything to do with them as friends in ur situation. Ofc if I had to tolerate them for reasons, so be it. I would not be able to forgive my friends if they acted like that, unless they admit they were jerks. 

Feel with u, am gonna put on some metal and mutilate my eardrums with my Stax setup! Who cares if Stax isn't suited for that stuff! 

*finding the low res heavy stuff in the dark corners of the hard disk*

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #555 of 4,655
Quote:
Quote:
I would be buried with my gear. No one I know deserves it.

I say donate to other Head-Fi members you feel most deserving
biggrin.gif

Will do, but I am not really planning to die soon.

I think Jerg should have my Stax system. I think he needs something new to have fun with, perhaps mod, and maybe he could expand his horizon in the realm of different types of sound reproduction. I really did coming from the HE-500 as my only headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back