Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Apr 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #361 of 4,655
What's frustrating about any hobby is that for every story of appreciation, there's a hundred of lack of understanding for the passion. My music taste is extremely eclectic and I love all of it, but I find it hard to share it with others. The way a well-restored or fine automobile captures my attention is unfathomable to those around me who are happy with their Corolla or their Prius (though luckily the car community is a big one, and I can find fraternity during car shows, swap meets, etc). So it goes with being an audiophile, regardless of whether you're into headphones or speakers. Even many musicians or people with a passion for their music are apathetic when it comes to the equipment they listen through.

Apr 26, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #362 of 4,655
My mom always says that it is your hobby so it is good as you get high quality things(she was blown away with my he500s and a couple of binaural tracks). My dad has no opinion about it, but when i talk to my cousin sometimes and talk about a little difficulty in finances when talking about expensive things he would always belittle my headphones. He would go on like and say that i "wasted" money on this pair of heapphones or that and i should have rather used the money to include in the budget for something else. He always used the words "wasted money"  when it came to my audio setup, even though i consider it quite mid fi, i really got pissed at him. I lost my temper once and even punched him for that but he is only 18 as i was like 10 times his strength, but i shouldn't have done it though, although it did satisfy me a LOT.

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #366 of 4,655
I have a friend who insists on using cheap buds. He heard my m50 and liked them. now 3 months later he tells me he cant stand his bud anymore but still isnt willing to spend more than $ 20 on headphones. he comes to my house and at the time i already upgraded to the hd 518 and he says wow these sound even better. now i have the hd 600 and waiting on that bottlehead crack hopefully that set up will convert him into hifi audio, the next time he comes over. he is still on 5 dollar buds lol.

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #368 of 4,655
My mom always says that it is your hobby so it is good as you get high quality things(she was blown away with my he500s and a couple of binaural tracks). My dad has no opinion about it, but when i talk to my cousin sometimes and talk about a little difficulty in finances when talking about expensive things he would always belittle my headphones. He would go on like and say that i "wasted" money on this pair of heapphones or that and i should have rather used the money to include in the budget for something else. He always used the words "wasted money"  when it came to my audio setup, even though i consider it quite mid fi, i really got pissed at him. I lost my temper once and even punched him for that but he is only 18 as i was like 10 times his strength, but i shouldn't have done it though, although it did satisfy me a LOT.

You punched your dad?

Jesus you need to relax a little

Pls don't punch me

Apr 27, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #369 of 4,655
Quote:
You punched your dad?

Jesus you need to relax a little

Pls don't punch me

No, he said he punched his cousin, which is acceptable...
blink.gif

Apr 28, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #372 of 4,655
Quote:
This thread got me thinking,

Is it better to buy a 250$ range headphone (Mdr1r) or something around 100$ for starters?

I want something that will last rather than spending more money buying more and more

I jumped up from a Logitech G35 to a Sennheiser HD 800, got a FiiO E10 as a temporarily amp and DAC combination.
After 6 months I got the Violectric V200, and 1-2 months later (now) I ordered the Mytek Digital Stereo 192 DSD-DAC which is on its way as we speak.

I would always go for something very good right away and be done with it. Sure I spend around €3000 on gear, but I don't need to purchase anything audio-related for at least 10 years.
In the end this way is definitely cheaper.

I did the same for my PC, buid a very future-proof one around 2-3 years ago. If it gets too slow I can just pop another GPU in and done. It'll last for at least another 5 years, probably longer.

Apr 28, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #374 of 4,655
While it isn't a high end headphone, my HD650 lost out on looks (to Diamond Tears) as per my gf and comfort (to Phillips over ear) as per my dad... Maybe this is an excuse to get something higher end? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back