Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Apr 4, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #301 of 4,655
I'm gonna be changeing all my music out for FLAC....so hopefully will notice a difference.

You might consider doing a test before going thru all the effort of switching to completely FLAC. Moving from cheap headphones to quality headphones have a much bigger impact on improving sound quality than going from 128kbps to FLAC. If you've been using 256kbps AAC files from iTunes, you may not even notice a difference.

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #302 of 4,655
I don't want this thread to go down the route of the last one, but I think there's mainly only a difference between FLAC and MP3 if the files are ripped from higher than CD quality sources. Ripping a 16-bit CD into a 24-bit FLAC versus a 320 kbps or V0 MP3 isn't really that big of a difference, if there is even one.

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #303 of 4,655
Being as I listen to mainly EDM, even I can tell the difference between a 128 file and a 320 file, but 256 and 320 I can barely, if at all, tell the difference.  I can tell the difference between 192 and 320 as well, but once I find a file in the 256 range, my DJ1 I feel can't pick up the difference....or they can and my ears can't.  I even tried playing the exact same song in two different formats, one 320 and the other ALAC, and I couldn't tell the difference at all.

I think that, in order for someone to be able to tell the difference, they would need a good set of cans (I'm guessing better than my colored Ultrasones), some pretty good ears, and listen to a genre (rock, jazz, etc.) where it would matter.  Oh, and a good source :)

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #304 of 4,655
in that case 320 should be fine, anythings better than 128 I guess, and if it sounds fine no need for hassle of looking for FLAC music...thx.

As 320 can be ripped from CDs no problem and is a lot easier to find when downloading music.

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #305 of 4,655
The way I see it:

FLAC/ALAC/etc = Archival format and for PC/Mac when possible, provided you have space to store it and can obtain the high res downloads or rip appropriately from CD(ie, no point ripping a FLAC that is 16 bit from a standard CD).

MP3/AAC/etc = use whatever bitrate you consider indistinguishable from the lossless version and put it on your DAP.

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #306 of 4,655
My friend tried my 4.Ai's, he was absolutely stunned. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #307 of 4,655
My friend was recently looking for a new headphones for music and BF 3 so i helped him.He wanted full-sized cans,max. price was 200 eur. and it should not need an amp.I showed him DT 770/880/990 and some Ultrasones.He was very interested of the DT 880's but their price was over the budget.Few weeks later he said he saw the DT 880's were on sale,so he bought them.He then told me how he could hear everything more clearly and new details and better soundstage.That wasn't a big surprise considering he had the Sony XB500's.
He was so generous,that he lent me the 880's over weekend :D.I gave him my SRH 940 for a trade.

Other friend was looking for new gaming headphones.This time we decided that a Beyerdynamic MMX 300 was perfect for him.He ordered it very soon after that.

I had also showed my headphones to my friends and family.Most common reply for SRH 940 was that they are very resolving.HE-500 has also got some good impressions.The same friend (before he bought 880's) said that the HE-500's had just right amount of bass.He also said that he was looking that kind of bass.

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #308 of 4,655
Quote:
My friend was recently looking for a new headphones for music and BF 3 so i helped him.He wanted full-sized cans,max. price was 200 eur. and it should not need an amp.I showed him DT 770/880/990 and some Ultrasones.He was very interested of the DT 880's but their price was over the budget.Few weeks later he said he saw the DT 880's were on sale,so he bought them.He then told me how he could hear everything more clearly and new details and better soundstage.That wasn't a big surprise considering he had the Sony XB500's.
He was so generous,that he lent me the 880's over weekend
biggrin.gif
.I gave him my SRH 940 for a trade.

Other friend was looking for new gaming headphones.This time we decided that a Beyerdynamic MMX 300 was perfect for him.He ordered it very soon after that.

I had also showed my headphones to my friends and family.Most common reply for SRH 940 was that they are very resolving.HE-500 has also got some good impressions.The same friend (before he bought 880's) said that the HE-500's had just right amount of bass.He also said that he was looking that kind of bass.

How many ohms are the DT880?

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #310 of 4,655
It is actually possible to disassemble the earcups so that the srh940 becomes completely open. Though the bass will be through the roof and is not advicable. It is completely reversable though.

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #311 of 4,655
My dad could never figure out how I always wore my headphones without getting tired of them, and he never put them on when I asked him too. Until one day he had to use my computer when he was in the shop, and without even saying anything I just plopped my headphones on him and turned on my favorite song to listen to with those headphones and he just looked at me with his mouth slightly open and said "ok I get it now"

He never says anything anymore when I say I just dropped more money on something audio related xD

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #312 of 4,655
Quote:
My dad could never figure out how I always wore my headphones without getting tired of them, and he never put them on when I asked him too. Until one day he had to use my computer when he was in the shop, and without even saying anything I just plopped my headphones on him and turned on my favorite song to listen to with those headphones and he just looked at me with his mouth slightly open and said "ok I get it now"

He never says anything anymore when I say I just dropped more money on something audio related xD

Nice! What pair did you use to reveal the new world of audio to your dad?
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #315 of 4,655
Quote:
So this is a little bit off-topic, but really amazing. My little sister (turns 4 on the 8th) grabbed my Classic and said she wanted to listen to music (she is really smart)... So I gave her some Panasonic headphones with a really long cord so she could dance around and walk around the room without destroying my iPod. I played Bulls On Parade and she liked it, then Know Your Enemy and she liked it too, same thing with By The Way and Smells Like Teen Spirit (I was trying to see if she could identify anything). So then I tried with MGMT, and I played Kids... She said "Juanse! (My nickname as you can see in my username) I love this song! *starts to "sing" the synth from the main riff*. It's my favourite song! And she played it from top to bottom like 6 times. I just love her, she will have good taste, and hopefully good audio quality appreciation. Isn't it amazing?

Haha, did that to my sis a year ago and now she has a UM3x and shes only 12...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back