Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 7, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #4,426 of 4,655
Friend 1: He's planning to study audio engineering afterwards! He's a smart guy and knows what exactly he wants.
Friend 2: OH THAT'S COOL! Can turn up the bass all the way up! *looks at the guy* yeah, turn up the bass!! 

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #4,427 of 4,655
  Friend 1: He's planning to study audio engineering afterwards! He's a smart guy and knows what exactly he wants.
Friend 2: OH THAT'S COOL! Can turn up the bass all the way up! *looks at the guy* yeah, turn up the bass!! 

To tell you the truth I don't get what friend 2 said. I tried audio engineering for like a little than less than a year. it seemed like electrical engineering but only for music. So I went to electrical engineering so I can do audio jobs and electrical jobs to build stuff also.

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #4,428 of 4,655
Theoretically I am big fan of getting the last and sometimes unheard benefit from the most data and very high resolution.  This is  because I am a "audiophile" or whatever you want to call people who give a S**t about the sound quality of their music they listen to. 
I belong to a couple of other audio sites and there we  know that we are chasing the very last of potential  improvements  of better sound quality.  There is a common understanding acknowledgement  that 80- 90% is available and usually  easy to acquire by most  interested people like us and even inexpensively at that.(the use of percentage is just a coomon convention usedby many there is of course no measurable parameter that  yields  % of SQ)   We are simply at a place where there are very limited returns by employing  some top notch frequently, someof it crazily  expensive gear and tweaks. It should be abundantly clear that for many of us that we have reached a place of diminishing returns. 
At this time, with our associated gear and our  physiologically limited ability to hear, we  are chasing a few  small incremental improvements, we call it that last 2- 5%. This is not meant to imply thatfuture gains could be of a much greater magnitude as our hobby and industry are always innovating. Also let me state that changing from one really good amp tp another for example, that wholesale differences can be easily heard, same with headphones. What I am referring to are people with stable systems which they are committed to as their favorite, call it mature systems. The high rate of data may be difficult to ascertain.  What I am saying is, that at this juncture, I think we are making limited headway given the SQ and certain limitations. That does mean however that if you are really into this hobby which for me has been lifetime (I bought the first Stax :Electret when they first came out and already owned a "high End" stereo I was 17 at the time.) that you should forgo the most detailed information you can get, it may push your system up a small notch not now perhaps, but later on you may have gear that will make it worth the storage space and other inconvenience.  Sorry about the sermon- Steve

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #4,429 of 4,655
  Theoretically I am big fan of getting the last and sometimes unheard benefit from the most data and very high resolution.  This is  because I am a "audiophile" or whatever you want to call people who give a S**t about the sound quality of their music they listen to. 
I belong to a couple of other audio sites and there we  know that we are chasing the very last of potential  improvements  of better sound quality.  There is a common understanding acknowledgement  that 80- 90% is available and usually  easy to acquire by most  interested people like us and even inexpensively at that.(the use of percentage is just a coomon convention usedby many there is of course no measurable parameter that  yields  % of SQ)   We are simply at a place where there are very limited returns by employing  some top notch frequently, someof it crazily  expensive gear and tweaks. It should be abundantly clear that for many of us that we have reached a place of diminishing returns. 
At this time, with our associated gear and our  physiologically limited ability to hear, we  are chasing a few  small incremental improvements, we call it that last 2- 5%. This is not meant to imply thatfuture gains could be of a much greater magnitude as our hobby and industry are always innovating. Also let me state that changing from one really good amp tp another for example, that wholesale differences can be easily heard, same with headphones. What I am referring to are people with stable systems which they are committed to as their favorite, call it mature systems. The high rate of data may be difficult to ascertain.  What I am saying is, that at this juncture, I think we are making limited headway given the SQ and certain limitations. That does mean however that if you are really into this hobby which for me has been lifetime (I bought the first Stax :Electret when they first came out and already owned a "high End" stereo I was 17 at the time.) that you should forgo the most detailed information you can get, it may push your system up a small notch not now perhaps, but later on you may have gear that will make it worth the storage space and other inconvenience.  Sorry about the sermon- Steve

Yo, Steve can you check the bolded sentence and make sure you have your "affirmative/negative" correct?  did you mean "that it does not mean however... that you should forgo the most detailed information...?"  In other words, just because you may only be able to make limited headway this should not stop you from seeking as much detailed info as you can...
blink.gif

Another aspect to consider in our "quest for perfection" is our own changing preferences in sound presentation and our aging/changing ability to hear...along with the changing tech...
Just trying to make sure I understand what you are meaning there.

Mar 8, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #4,430 of 4,655
Bear-
Yes,understood the intent of my post exactly as I intended it. Almost everything in my mind is multifactorial, in this hobby there are two fundamental parts a source, and a listener both are subject to changes. Thanks for emphasizing my understanding, it is really nothing much more than the well worn notion of subjectivity, except that there is a measurable physical change most will experience in this instance.

-did you mean "that it does not mean however ...

Yes I made a mistake.  It should have said "That does not mean".... going with less data  ....  as future advancements in technology may prove fruitful..etc
Thank You for your editing I really do  appreciate it.  I have always had some difficulty in writing text.

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #4,431 of 4,655

I was thinking about spending $380 on cables for my headphones

I'm not an audiophile, so my reaction to this would be, "Uhhhh,...are you running 50,000 watts to your headphones, or something? Damn, you must be deaf!"  
basshead.gif

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #4,432 of 4,655
I'm not an audiophile, so my reaction to this would be, "Uhhhh,...are you running 50,000 watts to your headphones, or something? Damn, you must be deaf!"  :basshead:

Heh, that was a while ago. I mostly bought them for ergonomics (length and flexibility) and my mom has since heard my system and now she understands why I am spending so much on it. I can also use the same cable on multiple brands/models of headphones.

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #4,434 of 4,655
No, it's been on my primary system for a few years now (cable is 'Q' French silk on HD800's to Taboo MKIII ). That quote is from 2003 btw.

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #4,436 of 4,655
You must not be a fan of treble, only cables above $440 give a truly sparkley & unparralled treble experience.

biggrin.gif

Well, treble is ok, but not spikey sibilant piercing treble.  The Grado 325is I have are PAINFUL if connected to my magni. But the work fine from the Asgard 2.

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #4,440 of 4,655
Originally Posted by kapanak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have access to Schiit's 2016 product list!?

You're in deep Schiit now!

Anyway, a reaction... My brother got a Hifiman RE400, and he's really liking it. But he thinks its soundstage is really small, even with the forward treble. Maybe he needs mental burn-in.
He's getting an AD900X, which I know he'll love. I know he'll like it because he loves the AD700 almost as much as I(a true Head-fier) do.
evil_smiley.gif
(Being a Head-Fier gives me a professional opinion on headphones.)*
*You know I'm kidding, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back